humanities major for medical school, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to be a history major/ chemistry minor.

I am a second year student and have only taken one semester of calculus and english, and a year of general chemistry.

Second year I plan to take biology/ochem with two history courses/ next semester I will take biology/ochem/statistics.

Junior year I will take physics and second semester of calculus. I will start my language requirement (3 semesters of spanish) my junior year.

Senior year I will take a full year of biochemistry and an english course and finish major requirements.

Is it okay to just take prerequisite courses with biochemistry?

Is it okay that I am spreading out my prerequisites as opposed to many pre-meds who do it all in two years? I plan to go to med school directly after graduation.

Is biochemistry considered an upper level biology course? I am a Texas resident and texas medical schools require 4 semesters of biology.

Is it okay that I am taking some of my prerequisites my senior year, such as second semester of english/bio chem?

Also, as a humanities major what are some things that I have to focus more on because I am not a science major?

I have done chemistry research over the summer at my school.

So far Overall GPA= 3.71 Science GPA=3.56

Members don't see this ad.

If you can keep up your gpa then its all good. If TX schools require 4 semesters of biology then take 2 more bio courses over the summer like a&p or microbiology etc. I want to also point out if your goal is medical school right after Ugrad then you'll need to be quick in your attempts to get a good mcat and then applying relatively on time. So uber consideration on summer courses.

Prereqs + Biochem + Humanities Major = recipe for success. Biochem is good to take on top of prereqs(physiology is good too if you need another Bio Course), but all those upper level sciences are not necessary for medical school. History is an interesting major that is great preparation for life in general. However, in order to apply on time the latest you can take the MCAT would be July/August after Junior Year. It looks like you still will have some of your science courses to take at this point. Not critical, but something to keep in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought taking the four sciences chem, bio, ochem, and physics should be enough. I'm taking physics my junior year. I plan to start studying the mcat summer after my sophomore year and do smdep and an internship at a hospital.

I thought taking the four sciences chem, bio, ochem, and physics should be enough. I'm taking physics my junior year. I plan to start studying the mcat summer after my sophomore year and do smdep and an internship at a hospital.

You'll be fine. Biochem helps on the MCAT, but it is by no means necessary. I think your schedule seems pretty solid. Do you have to take two semesters of calc. Spacing out your second semester that far from the first could be disastrous. Also, are you starting fresh in Spanish. If you are picking up from high school(i.e not starting at level 100), I wouldn't. Instead start at level one in a similar language (Italian/Portuguese)

people at my school tells me that the first two semesters of calf Are easy so I'm taking t just to boost my science gpa

I don't know how good you are at math, but I wouldn't space the two math classes out like that. Take them in succession. I put off calculus for a year after i finished pre-cal and because I couldn't remember everything that we were taught it made the first test be graded a lot lower than I would've hoped.

Just my recommendation, if you can avoid spacing them out, then do it.

people at my school tells me that the first two semesters of calf Are easy so I'm taking t just to boost my science gpa

If calc truly is easy at your school, and thus a GPA booster, then go ahead and take it. However, make sure you can trust your sources, since Calc is usually one of the most difficult classes offered. At least this is the case at my school, where it is graded on a strict curve with very few As given out. If there is no way to take the two semesters in succesion just replace calc 2 with a history class(or if you are looking to boost your science GPA astronomy)