Humanities passages!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbachuck

Fear denies faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the breakdown of # of natural science vs. social science vs. humanities for upcoming MCATs? I remember reading somewhere that the passages were heavily biased in favor of science passages w/ 1 or 2 humanities (Kaplan I think...i can check later) but I just took AAMC Practice Test 8 and a full 30 out of the 60 questions were based in humanities!!! What gives?! Is this a new rule like how they were taking alkenes out of BioSci?

Members don't see this ad.

bubbachuck said:
Does anyone know the breakdown of # of natural science vs. social science vs. humanities for upcoming MCATs? I remember reading somewhere that the passages were heavily biased in favor of science passages w/ 1 or 2 humanities (Kaplan I think...i can check later) but I just took AAMC Practice Test 8 and a full 30 out of the 60 questions were based in humanities!!! What gives?! Is this a new rule like how they were taking alkenes out of BioSci?

I personally think it TOTALLY depends on the test form you get. My MCAT had NO science passages at all (they were all politics, law, ethics).

I agree. My MCAT actually had four passages relating to computers, of all things. Like, about how to design programs that would allow computers to read handwriting and whether hardware or software was more important in a market economy :eek:

For me, it sucked. I was desperate for a bio or humanities passage.

I would tend to think that the natural science passages would be at a minimal on the MCAT, because there's so much science to deal with in PS and BS, and lots of people feel more comfortable with science passages because they're a bit more detail-oriented. I've taken quite a few FLs, and I've never encountered more than 3 at any one time. In the end, it does depend. Treat each VR section as if you're not going to get any natural science passages so that if you do get some, you'll be pleasantly surprised and not caught off guard expecting those types of passages.

My $.02

Members don't see this ad :)
BooMed said:
I agree. My MCAT actually had four passages relating to computers, of all things. Like, about how to design programs that would allow computers to read handwriting and whether hardware or software was more important in a market economy :eek:

For me, it sucked. I was desperate for a bio or humanities passage.

yea i took that one. I think it was AAMC 6R?

Just to add, there's also a chance that you can get a BIO section that's 75% like the Verbal section. Half of my bio section was composed of passages (on ecology and animal behavior, etc), where I had to read and answer bio-related questions. That was a weird test form I guess, but I also know people who took it with me who did not have it like I had it. So it really does depend on the test form. G'luck!