Humanities/Social sciences for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seunglee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most med schools require a good deal of humanities/social sciences. I'm wondering if psychology and behavioral/cognitive neuroscience qualify as a social science. Would med schools credit those types of courses as a social or biological science?

Members don't see this ad.

I know most med schools require a good deal of humanities/social sciences. I'm wondering if psychology and behavioral/cognitive neuroscience qualify as a social science. Would med schools credit those types of courses as a social or biological science?

At my university, they held the same class under different departments. To clarify, I can take MCB190(random#) under the Molecular and Cell Biology department or I can take the same class called PH123 under the Public Health Department.

If I took it under the MCB department it would count as BCPM, if I took it under the Public Health Department it would be considered in the cumulative GPA.

So check for that.

Otherwise, I hear some students were able to sneak those into their BCPM if it sounded science-y enough.

Psychology is generally considered a social science.

Neuroscience, as the person above mentioned, depends more on the department through which you take the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuroscience is seen as a biological science. Psych as a social science.

Many many schools will probably let you fudge neuroscience as a social science, especially if you get a more psychy one. In my experience most of the schools are willing to bend a little if you don't have the requirements as long as you have something close.

However, rarely will you see a requirement of more than a semester (I think I saw one two semester requirement) for social sciences. Sometimes they have a separate humanities requirement which probably won't fly for psych. If you are talking just about liking to see social sciences, rather than requirements, you'll want more psych than neuroscience classes. They won't look at someone with a neuro minor as someone who has social sciences at all, they just might let you bend it for a req.

Like others said, it kind of depends. A good rule of thumb might be that if it has a PSYCH prefix then it is probably a social science and a NEURO prefix is a hard science. The disclaimer applies to a course that might say NEUROPSYCH or something.