Humble housing request for away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi gang,

I'm a non-trad osteopathic MS-IV on away rotations spanning the country and have exhausted my personal contacts for places to room while on my travels. Just humbly requesting consideration for floor space if you have anything available. I will rent, of course, so please don't think that I'll be *too* much of a free-loader. I'm extremely respectful and quiet, and am usually studying or exercising outdoors. I don't watch t.v. (don't even own one, actually) aside from occ. movies. Enjoy cooking, and am always clean and tidy (really!).

You'll notice that I have an odd schedule, as I won't be applying for an EM residency slot until next year. I'm doing an anatomy/OMM teaching fellowship at my school which has tacked on an additional year, so I'm now in the 2009 class. So, as an OMM fellow please consider this a perk for gratis OMM/massage as I want to keep my skills up while on the road. :)

I have references if you require, of course.

Here're my requests:
March in Pittsburgh (Pitt - ccm)
May in Springfield, MA (Baystate - EM)

Thanks for the eye... and good luck to the fourth years on the board!!

Take care and kindest regards,
Scott

Members don't see this ad.

Tensegrity;

if you contact the office of medical education at Geisinger (Tracy Lepley is the med student coordinator there), I think they usually put student up in housing up here. Let me know if you find anything out.

jd

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry i don't have a place for in any of those locations. you could check with your school's alumni office and see if anyone would host (though usually that is for a night while interviewing).
when i did my away i found a great deal on a room via Craigslist, but that is often dependent on how many people use Craig's in the city where you are going. we also rented out our place while i did my away--and that person found our place though emails sent out to the class, so you might try to find someone at the med school who is willing to put up an ad or send out an email to the 4th year class to see who might have space.

you're in a tough spot and i wish you the best of luck. sorry i can't offer you a couch or spare bedroom!
~tm

Thanks tm,
I'm actually in no bind at all, but I appreciate the concern. Things tend to work out well on these adventures... just being mature (huh?) and trying to plan a bit instead of just winging it... although the later tends to be more exciting!

Happy holidays and thanks again.

Departing Salt Lake to Big Sky (shwing!),
S

you should try couchsurfing!
www.couchsurfing.org

It's the only way to travel. I used it for multiple interviews.

Lol... thanks quinsy, but my month-long needs may be a bit much.

UNM just fell through, so added back on.

Take care!

Help! I'm writing to respectfully ask if you are aware of any colleagues who may have a room available for three weeks starting this next weekend? :oops:

My housing at UC-Irvine just fell through and I'm slated to begin with Dr. Fox's US team in the ED this next Monday (never a dull moment)!

Again, I'm a mature and polite mid-30's MSIV visiting after finishing up here at UNM. Of course I will pay for rent/utilities/deposit, and I assure you that I'm respectful, tidy, quiet and clean. I have many references, too, including the staff attending whom I'm living with presently at UNM.

I'm really sorry about the short notice, but just had the axe fall on my previous arrangement.

Regardless, thanks for your time and I hope that you are all feeling some warm karma (oh wait, for those ranking that may just be urine on your legs while waiting for Match! ;) )

Thanks!!!

ps- and good call with the Craig's List idea... never really used it before but some leads are available... crossin' 'em!

Can always try a hotel via priceline. I did this when I was at a couple of places. It can be less expensive than trying to rent a place depending on the city and your utilities, cable, etc are paid for.

Just confirmed housing this afternoon... through Craig's, good call and thanks for the siggestions. A bit pricey but sweet, private digs w/in 20 min of UCI Med. Whew.