SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Humor in Essays: detrimental or no?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mvervaine, Aug 17, 2002.

1. mvervaine

mvervaine Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2002
    NY, NY
    does anyone have an opinion on whether humor is a good/bad thing in writing secondary essays?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PimplePopperMD

PimplePopperMD Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Generally, you need to realize that medicine is a conservative field. Your humor may break up 75% of the people, but you don't want to alienate the other 25%...

I really had a problem with this; my undergrad essays were great, and i was proud of them.

my med school essays were polished, but conservative.

now, i'm doing my residency applications, and the essay i'm writing is SOOOOO conservative. i can't even let my personality shine through. but honestly, that's the trend...

don't be too funny, man... wait to show it off in your interview.
  4. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Go conservative all the way, avoid both humor and intense drama. Imagine you are reading your essay to somebody's great-grandmother.
  5. X

error on the side of conservatism, but use it sparingly. Just make sure it is used correctly, it is not a funny essay, but at the same time it will make the essay less of the boring usual stuff. I say for something like a personal statement, 1 or 2 funny things and that's it.

6. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2001
    It's fine to use some humor. However, don't use anything too off-color. And your essay should have a serious side too.
  7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
    my PS is just one big joke. Just kidding. I just put one funny thing.