Humor in Essays: detrimental or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvervaine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have an opinion on whether humor is a good/bad thing in writing secondary essays?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, you need to realize that medicine is a conservative field. Your humor may break up 75% of the people, but you don't want to alienate the other 25%...

I really had a problem with this; my undergrad essays were great, and i was proud of them.

my med school essays were polished, but conservative.

now, i'm doing my residency applications, and the essay i'm writing is SOOOOO conservative. i can't even let my personality shine through. but honestly, that's the trend...

don't be too funny, man... wait to show it off in your interview.

Go conservative all the way, avoid both humor and intense drama. Imagine you are reading your essay to somebody's great-grandmother.

Members don't see this ad :)
error on the side of conservatism, but use it sparingly. Just make sure it is used correctly, it is not a funny essay, but at the same time it will make the essay less of the boring usual stuff. I say for something like a personal statement, 1 or 2 funny things and that's it.

X

It's fine to use some humor. However, don't use anything too off-color. And your essay should have a serious side too.