Humor in Essays: detrimental or no?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mvervaine, Aug 17, 2002.

  1. mvervaine

    mvervaine Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2002
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    1
    does anyone have an opinion on whether humor is a good/bad thing in writing secondary essays?
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. PimplePopperMD

    PimplePopperMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2000
    Messages:
    266
    Likes Received:
    1
    Generally, you need to realize that medicine is a conservative field. Your humor may break up 75% of the people, but you don't want to alienate the other 25%...

    I really had a problem with this; my undergrad essays were great, and i was proud of them.

    my med school essays were polished, but conservative.

    now, i'm doing my residency applications, and the essay i'm writing is SOOOOO conservative. i can't even let my personality shine through. but honestly, that's the trend...

    don't be too funny, man... wait to show it off in your interview.
     
  4. none

    none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Messages:
    1,903
    Likes Received:
    5
    Go conservative all the way, avoid both humor and intense drama. Imagine you are reading your essay to somebody's great-grandmother.
     
  5. X

    X

    error on the side of conservatism, but use it sparingly. Just make sure it is used correctly, it is not a funny essay, but at the same time it will make the essay less of the boring usual stuff. I say for something like a personal statement, 1 or 2 funny things and that's it.

    X
     
  6. Vader

    Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2001
    Messages:
    1,066
    Likes Received:
    14
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    It's fine to use some humor. However, don't use anything too off-color. And your essay should have a serious side too.
     
  7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

    Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2002
    Messages:
    863
    Likes Received:
    1
    my PS is just one big joke. Just kidding. I just put one funny thing.
     

Share This Page