Hundreds of hours of research - no first author publication... will this look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

braxsch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have around 800 hours of volunteer research under my belt now and am applying in Summer 2018. I most likely won't have a 1st author publication submitted in time to include on my apps, just wondering if it looks bad that I spent so much time doing research yet only produced a few third-author papers and a couple of big presentations? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have around 800 hours of volunteer research under my belt now and am applying in Summer 2018. I most likely won't have a 1st author publication submitted in time to include on my apps, just wondering if it looks bad that I spent so much time doing research yet only produced a few third-author papers and a couple of big presentations? Thanks for any help.
Won't look bad at all. It's rare for UG students to get pubs. It's hard enough for me!!!

Hi, I have around 800 hours of volunteer research under my belt now and am applying in Summer 2018. I most likely won't have a 1st author publication submitted in time to include on my apps, just wondering if it looks bad that I spent so much time doing research yet only produced a few third-author papers and a couple of big presentations?
No, lack of a first author pub won't reflect poorly. Sounds like you have above average evidence of research productivity as you are.

You have multiple pubs and posters in 800 hrs? How'd you manage that?

Anyway you are doing great on research. Don't worry