Hunter college post bacc students! Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rotcod1021

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all Post bacc students at CUNY-Hunter College:

I am interested in applying for fall 2010 admission into the Post Bacc program. I am planning to be working full time while going to school there. From what I understood on the website, I can complete the Post Bacc requirements on my own pace so I was wondering whether or not the classes are flexible? Do they offer night classes or are all classes during the day? In the current university I attend, most science courses are only offered during the day and early afternoon. I am looking to take most classes at night.

Also, do you guys advise taking post bacc classes while working? I am looking to work as a Medical Assistant/Tech in order to get more clinical experience and leaning towards full time hours. I do not know how difficult/challenging the classes are in Hunter College.

Any feedback would be of great help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To all Post bacc students at CUNY-Hunter College:

I am interested in applying for fall 2010 admission into the Post Bacc program. I am planning to be working full time while going to school there. From what I understood on the website, I can complete the Post Bacc requirements on my own pace so I was wondering whether or not the classes are flexible? Do they offer night classes or are all classes during the day? In the current university I attend, most science courses are only offered during the day and early afternoon. I am looking to take most classes at night.

Also, do you guys advise taking post bacc classes while working? I am looking to work as a Medical Assistant/Tech in order to get more clinical experience and leaning towards full time hours. I do not know how difficult/challenging the classes are in Hunter College.

Any feedback would be of great help. Thanks!

I can't answer the hunter questions, but as a post bacc student myself I will say this- your goal in any post bacc is to get straight A's, anything less than that is really a waste of your time, so you should make this your primary goal and make working second (assuming you can swing that financially). Most med schools will do an inital screen on GPA so while working full time while struggling through Orgo may be a better application story, your app might be in the trash while the guy who did nothing but study for two years to make the grade gets an interview.

You didn't give many specifics but lets assume that you have none of you pre reqs done. If you can handle a science course load while working full time then go for it, but be aware that the sciences are alot of work, even the easier stuff requires alot of repetition and memorization, just make sure you will have time to keep up with it. You will need to take labs for some of the sciences and that is almost like taking another class in terms of time committment.

Getting the clinical experience at work is good, but remember you will also need to leave some time to do substantial volunteer work as well.

I guess the main point is that you are doing a post bacc to get accepted to med school and that may take some sacrifices. Just make sure you don't over subscribe yourself because you don't want 2 years of hard work to be all for nothing.