Hurricane Wilma and AMA plot against the AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMC_MarineCorps

Primum non nocere
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody given any thought to this? Wouldn't this be a great way for the AMA to rid the country of DO's?

My flight to Orlando is tomorrow AM...the SOMA conference begins on Friday followed by the AOA convention on Monday. Hurricane Wilma is projected to strike/hit central FL Saturday night. I believe 3000-4000 DOs/students will be in one geographical location while this cat 5 storm hits.

Members don't see this ad.

I know...my flight leaves Sat. afternoon. I'm hoping this storm stalls out or changes course. This is supposed to be MY VACATION, DAMNIT!!!!! Umm, I mean, this is supposed to be a fine educational experience.

Runtita said:
I know...my flight leaves Sat. afternoon. I'm hoping this storm stalls out or changes course. This is supposed to be MY VACATION, DAMNIT!!!!! Umm, I mean, this is supposed to be a fine educational experience.

Wilma is on track for south Florida at this time (i.e. making the 4th hurricane I've gone through while at NSU-COM) and best estimates are that it will be Category 2 or 3. No matter where it hits Florida, it will bring heavy rainfall to the entire region and expect many flights to be cancelled whenever it does hit. The most current hurricane information is always available at:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Sorry our crappy Florida weather had to rain on the SOMA/AOA convention!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pegasus52082 said:
Wilma is on track for south Florida at this time (i.e. making the 4th hurricane I've gone through while at NSU-COM) and best estimates are that it will be Category 2 or 3. No matter where it hits Florida, it will bring heavy rainfall to the entire region and expect many flights to be cancelled whenever it does hit. The most current hurricane information is always available at:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Sorry our crappy Florida weather had to rain on the SOMA/AOA convention!

At least it is supposed to be the last one this year, right?

here's a thought... if the area for some reason ends up devistated like the gulf coast was (a very low probability I know), a huge group of doctors/residents/students around could really help out in a big way (medical treatment etc.) that'd be a better PR for the AOA than a stupid "get do's on TV" postcard plan...

jonb12997 said:
here's a thought... if the area for some reason ends up devistated like the gulf coast was (a very low probability I know), a huge group of doctors/residents/students around could really help out in a big way (medical treatment etc.) that'd be a better PR for the AOA than a stupid "get do's on TV" postcard plan...

The media would probably screw it up and call em MDs or just refer to them as Dr. so and so.

that'd be a better PR for the AOA than a stupid "get do's on TV" postcard plan...
the AOA would still manage to find a way to make themselves look foolish...

like blame it on the AMA for example...:):):)

speaking of *****ic...did you guys hear about the Idaho guy who thinks the hurricane season is due to some secret russian weapon???

JMC_MarineCorps said:
Anybody given any thought to this? Wouldn't this be a great way for the AMA to rid the country of DO's?

My flight to Orlando is tomorrow AM...the SOMA conference begins on Friday followed by the AOA convention on Monday. Hurricane Wilma is projected to strike/hit central FL Saturday night. I believe 3000-4000 DOs/students will be in one geographical location while this cat 5 storm hits.

The AOA won.

Wilma stalled in Mexico.

raptor5 said:
The media would probably screw it up and call em MDs or just refer to them as Dr. so and so.

I was looking for DO's in Louisiana, and whadayaknow...they refer to themselves as Dr _____ in the phonebooks. AND they aren't all members of the LOMA.

It's like looking for a black cat in a dark room using a broken flashlight with your eyes closed.

Nothing helps the osteopathic image like stranded DOs on rooftops being rescued by MDs in helicopters.

Portier said:
I was looking for DO's in Louisiana, and whadayaknow...they refer to themselves as Dr _____ in the phonebooks. AND they aren't all members of the LOMA.

It's like looking for a black cat in a dark room using a broken flashlight with your eyes closed.

In phonebooks in Texas and Oklahoma, there is a section for osteopathic physicians, and a section for allopathic physicians. The listings are separated. Even if the name did not include the title, it is obvious what their degree is from the page they are on.

OSUdoc08 said:
In phonebooks in Texas and Oklahoma, there is a section for osteopathic physicians, and a section for allopathic physicians. The listings are separated. Even if the name did not include the title, it is obvious what their degree is from the page they are on.
Same as California

OSUdoc08 said:

This is interesting. So where would they list a group practice that includes both DO and MD physicians? In North Dakota and in Iowa the phonebook says "Physicians MD & DO." Everyone is listed in the same area. And if you're looking for some OMM, you just flip to the subheading that says Manipulative Medicine, just like if you are looking for the subheading of impotence.

Damn yellowbook, don't you know a physician is a phyisician is a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
rjfreed said:
This is interesting. So where would they list a group practice that includes both DO and MD physicians? In North Dakota and in Iowa the phonebook says "Physicians MD & DO." Everyone is listed in the same area. And if you're looking for some OMM, you just flip to the subheading that says Manipulative Medicine, just like if you are looking for the subheading of impotence.

Damn yellowbook, don't you know a physician is a phyisician is a physician.

Yeah separating DOs and MDs in the phonebook is absolutely ******ed.

(nicedream) said:
Yeah separating DOs and MDs in the phonebook is absolutely ******ed.

It makes it easier for people who want to see only DO's (i.e. my parents & grandparents)

OSUdoc08 said:
It makes it easier for people who want to see only DO's (i.e. my parents & grandparents)

Much more likely to make it easier to a) not even look at the osteopathic physicians because they don't know what they are and b) to avoid them because they don't know what they are or don't like them.

(nicedream) said:
Much more likely to make it easier to a) not even look at the osteopathic physicians because they don't know what they are and b) to avoid them because they don't know what they are or don't like them.

Wonderful attitude.

:thumbdown:

OSUdoc08 said:
I think that might depend on certain cities in Texas.... I dont have a San Antonio book in front of me, but I dont remember there being a division. They just listed MD or DO after their name.

Awe man, is this going to turn into a serious thread. I want to hear more about the Hurricane Wilma/AMA plot.

Kubed said:
Awe man, is this going to turn into a serious thread. I want to hear more about the Hurricane Wilma/AMA plot.
Well i think it's pretty clear that there is some sort of plot going on here but it was foiled...

I'm thinking the masons and the Luminaries are involved. . . they control the weather after all...

With all their infinite wisdom and power, we do have something that the AMA doesn't have......The Super Best Friends

con_SBF_1.jpg

Now, if we can only get their help on a combined match. It can't be any harder than thwarting that mean ol' lady, wilma

Agh there we go again, another group of people blaming a hurricane for discriminating against a certain group of people :laugh:

George Bush doesn't care about DOs.

(nicedream) said:

I disagree. DO's are found in an extremely high percentage in McLennan County, Texas (home of the Bush ranch.)

In fact, the medical director of the ambulance service that parks on standby at his ranch is a DO. In addition, the director of the nearest level I trauma center to the Bush ranch is a DO.

(nicedream) said:

That's because George Bush can't spell "DO."

Dies Irae said:
That's because George Bush can't spell "DO."

I'm pretty sure they don't accept people who can't spell D.O. into Yale.

OSUdoc08 said:
I disagree. DO's are found in an extremely high percentage in McLennan County, Texas (home of the Bush ranch.)

In fact, the medical director of the ambulance service that parks on standby at his ranch is a DO. In addition, the director of the nearest level I trauma center to the Bush ranch is a DO.

It was a reference. Apparently you are detached from culture and society. Then again, you do live in Oklahoma...

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm pretty sure they don't accept people who can't spell D.O. into Yale.

Once again, a joke. Anyway, Yale doesn't care what you can spell if your name is Bush. That should be apparent to you by now. It's called legacy, and life is full of it.

i heard they were going to put a DO school in the 9th ward and that's the real reason the levees failed and it flooded...

Well, Wilma trapped me in my hotel room for one morning, that was it! Not too bad, just wind and rain, but I was staying quite a ways from the convention center and didn't want to get drenched or blown away.

Had a good time, met some alums, got drug rep freebies, saw a bunch of Brits. What's with Brits and Orlando?

jhug said:
the AOA would still manage to find a way to make themselves look foolish...

like blame it on the AMA for example...:):):)

speaking of *****ic...did you guys hear about the Idaho guy who thinks the hurricane season is due to some secret russian weapon???

Actually, he believes the Japanese mafia owns the Russian invented weapon that controls the weather. He was a weatherguy here until he quit to pursue "other interests". He always seemed pretty normal on air, but after he quit the local paper ran an article talking about his "other interests". My wife and I had a good laugh over this. :laugh: