Husband and Wife Ortho team?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for a married couple to apply to the same dental school and both get in?...then is it possible for both husband and wife to both match at the same orthodontic residency? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Is there a couple that you know who was married before they BOTH got matched into the SAME orthodontic residency? To me, this seems unreal, but...is this possible or has this already been done?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about ortho residencies, but a couple in our class was admitted to dental school in the same year.

Is it possible for a married couple to apply to the same dental school and both get in?...then is it possible for both husband and wife to both match at the same orthodontic residency? Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Is there a couple that you know who was married before they BOTH got matched into the SAME orthodontic residency? To me, this seems unreal, but...is this possible or has this already been done?

Prolly not gonna happen, but what you can try to do is a "couples match". this is where you sign up in the Match as a 'couple' and create your rank list as such. You will only match to a school if you BOTH match to that school. This decreases the chances that you would match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can do a couples match, and as a backup a regular match, but I don't know for sure. The chances of it happening are super slim. Just think of chances of matching into a particular ortho residency and then multiply it for two people. Dental school, much more possible. (Since there are so many more spots.)

Getting invited to an ortho interview seems to be a somewhat random process to begin with. So hoping for 2 people to get invited to the same programs, well, that's gonna be even tougher. And then hoping that if you both got invited, you both get ranked high enough to both get in, wow, the universe really has to align. Unless you & your spouse are well connected to begin with to give you a real edge in the process. Sounds like the best shot of this happening would be at your home dental school if they get to know both of you well and decide to keep both of you. I think I've heard of husband/wife ortho couples being at the same program, but getting accepted in different years. But that's hearsay so I may just be spreading rumors.

Wait, it sounds like you have to get into dental school first, so this is really very very far away at this point. :rolleyes:

Keep dreaming. Phase 1 can happen, phase 2 won't.

That sounds like a great idea :thumbup: Then, not only can you talk about your office and dentistry all day at work with your wife, you can then do so in the confines of your home at the dinner table and every other place in your life.

That may sound like fun to some people, but not me!

Only dentist-wife will understand dentist-husband that he is tired after work.

That sounds like a great idea :thumbup: Then, not only can you talk about your office and dentistry all day at work with your wife, you can then do so in the confines of your home at the dinner table and every other place in your life.

That may sound like fun to some people, but not me!

Honestly, I asked this question because my girlfriend (of 2 1/2 years) told me today that her "family" thinks it would be great if she was an orthodontist too. ....when she told me that I told her "oh, cool!" but what I was really thinking is "oh, ...Oh Nooooooooooo!" :laugh: When her and I get married after undergrad, her original plan is that she is going to be a dental hygeinist, while I was in Dschool and then ortho residecy IF I wanted to go into ortho. THIS IS MY DREAM woman, and my dream only!!!:cool:

Absolutely could NEVER happen...the same year next to impossible. Different years possible.

Ben

This is so far of, and both of you need to graduate college first. Get into dental school and then worry about Ortho. If you really want to be close to each other then you need to do residencies in the same city (ie. New York).
On another note, I need to find an Orthodontist wife, that would be cool. :D

Yes, actually I am aware that this is VERY VERY VERY far off. I am aware, but thank you for your input.

Only dentist-wife will understand dentist-husband that he is tired after work.

But then the dentist wife would also be tired, and she wouldn't be able to fix dinner for her dentist husband. sounds like a bad idea to me.

you two matching into the same program Ain't going to happen. better to have her be the hygienist so she can make some money while you go off and play.

it was attempted this year. they both got in, which is pretty awesome, but they didn't get into the same place.

Do dental residencies have a couples match? :confused:

On a slight tangent, is there any tax benefits to having your dental practice with your wive? I think I read somewhere where it said you are eligible to save thousands and thousands of dollars per year if you and your spouse work in the same office. This was quite some time ago, so I dont know if this is accurate.

thanks

p.s. i've even heard of dentists buying crazy cars like hummers and putting their advertising on there and writing it off as a tax-write off. crazy.

U have a better chance getting drafted into the NBA with your wife as assitant coach.