SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

HVLA Significantly Cuts Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by HolisticMed, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HolisticMed

HolisticMed 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    I will be suprised if this study/article lasts more than just a few days on webmd, I am almost certain the pharm companies are going to fight hard to kick this article right off. Remember these are the same pharm companies who recently pushed to redefine the definition of hypertension so that more patients would require hypertensive meds.

"This procedure has the effect of not one, but two blood-pressure medications given in combination," study leader George Bakris, MD, tells WebMD. "And it seems to be adverse-event free. We saw no side effects and no problems," adds Bakris, director of the University of Chicago hypertension center.

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20070316/chiropractic-cuts-blood-pressure

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dctrgreen

dctrgreen Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2006
    tennessee
    nice article. very interesting. i wish they had mentioned osteopathy though. i am glad that the researcher is an MD for all the skeptics out there who would have responded with bogus claims.

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Interesting. Especially considering the Osteopathic literature has articles on this going back to the 1950s. But WebMD decides to publish an article on chiropractors. Excellent.

5. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    I agree w/ you...but were any of the osteopathic studies "good" studies, ie more then like the classic jaoa 5 pts w/ no blinding or controls?

6. HolisticMed

HolisticMed 5+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2007
    If you read the article than you will clearly see why it was focused on chiropractors. There are many chiropractors who focus their entire practice on the concept of upper cervical high velocity adjusting. This concept goes back to B.J. Palmer, one of the founders of chiropractic. As far as I am concerned there are no osteopaths who place such heavy emphasis on adjustment of specifically the atlas. Many of these chiropractors will x-ray your cervical spine regardless of your presenting symptoms with the intention of determining if the atlas needs adjusting. They believe that impingement of the spinal cord/nerve roots at this level is more likely to occur than at other levels in the spinal cord and that the affects of misaligned vertebra can be devastating.

Many of these chiropractors will not adjust a single other vertebrae on the spine. Even by chiropractic standards, this is considered a fringe group.

Sure there are numerous studies in both chiropractic, osteopathy, hell even massage lowering blood pressure but this one is strikingly unique.

First of all they used digital measurements to actually show that the atlas in the true treatment group was realigned from these adjustments! The treatment group went from a 1 mm misalignment to .04 mm. While the sham group went from .6 to .5 !!!

Also, what this article doesnt tell you is that significant blood pressure drops were seen even after just one atlas adjustment.

Another interesting fact is that every single one of these adjustments was delivered by an 85 year old chiropractor!

7. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never 2+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Springfield, IL
    How's being biased going? Yea, there are reports of pharm companies looking for $ before patient interest, but why the generalization? I've heard this argument before along with the Lipitor/cholesterol argument as well. Don't you think there might be a legitimate reason for these changes, such as fitting the patient population more realistically or that *gasp* these drugs actually reduce morbidity and mortality? A.T. Still would be proud of you though.

8. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned Banned 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Are you aware of the history surrounding Palmer?

As far as you are concerned? What does that mean?

I dont know ANY DOs who use OMM heavily that DONT readily treat OA.

XRay?

They XRay a joint in a static plane to determine its misalignment? That doesnt make sense. Any joint needs to be assessed dynamically...as its moving. Taking a single still picture of a joint can tell you a lot. Joint space, exostoses, arthritis...but it cannot tell you misalignment of a joint unless there is severe displacement (dislocated shoulder, hip). For any dysfunction that needs to be manually corrected with OMT or otherwise you need a better way of examining them. Sounds like these chiros have some stock in the imaging place.

More likely here than other places? Perhaps, but I would like to see data on that. Misalignment of ANY vertebrae if it is severe enough can be devastating.

I would hope so. Probably like the Cranialites in osteopathy.

Im going to let you in on a little secret. I can get ANY vertebral segment to move...and even pop if I so choose. Doesnt mean is needs to be manipulated. And I bet if you shot some lasers in there to measure joint space, I would alter that as well.

Wrong. They measured degrees, NOT millimeters.

So what was the proposed mechanism of the HTN? Compression of what? Impingement of what?

Who did the sham treatments? Same guy?

What was their documented dysfunction? "Atlas is misaligned". That doesnt tell me a whole lot. I find OA dysfunctions all the time and not all of my patients have HTN.

I am the biggest critic of poor research. Its almost comical that DOs have been putting out similar studies for 50+ years and are criticised every step of the way for their studies, yet a chiro puts out an equally poor study and it gets front page attention.

Gives you an idea of who puts the $ in the right pockets. Chiros with dirty knees my friend.

9. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2005
    pwned by JP.

Love it, JP. Even though I personally am not that big of a fan of using OMM, I like it when someone as educated on the subject as you puts things in perspective :thumbup:

10. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

duplicate thread in osteo, so closing this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.