HY neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.wilsh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question ,in visual system chapter it says --> the section of optic nerve at optic chiasm transects all fibers from ipsilateral retina and fibers from contralateral inferior nasal quadrant which eventually will lead to ipsilateral blindness and contralateral upper temporal quadrant defect (I'm just having a problem on how optic chiasm lesion could cause injure the inferior nasal quadrant fibers )

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question ,in visual system chapter it says --> the section of optic nerve at optic chiasm transects all fibers from ipsilateral retina and fibers from contralateral inferior nasal quadrant which eventually will lead to ipsilateral blindness and contralateral upper temporal quadrant defect (I'm just having a problem on how optic chiasm lesion could cause injure the inferior nasal quadrant fibers )

Thanks

Because some fibers from the inferior nasal quadrant cross at the chiasm. It's the same concept as chiasm lesions causing bitemporal hemianopia. There's a UW question about this as well.