Hyalgan J7321 no longer covered by Medicare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cholula

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My biller informed me today that Medicare has denied all my claims for Hyalgan J7321 this year. Last year I had no problem getting it reimbursed from Medicare. Does anyone know what is going on and how to get it reimbursed? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My biller informed me today that Medicare has denied all my claims for Hyalgan J7321 this year. Last year I had no problem getting it reimbursed from Medicare. Does anyone know what is going on and how to get it reimbursed? Thanks

Synvisc seems to be covered

no kidding!

The most recent Hyalgan injection that I did and get paid was on 1/5/2017. No issue! Have a few more claims that my biller hasn't submitted yet. Now it's concerning!

Members don't see this ad :)
BCBS is not covering any hyaluronic injection- listed all in their denial

Is it also true that insurance is no longer paying for all US injections? That's what i was informed of by one of my attendings.

BCBS is not covering any hyaluronic injection- listed all in their denial

Most BC/BS appear to be covering it. There are many of them throughout the state.

Which state are you speaking about?

you guys are hijacking the original question:)

BC/BS and all private carriers have their own weird policies and they are state-dependent, too.

On the other hand, if Medicare starts denying HA injection (actually, more specifically in OP's question, hyalgan injection), then the denial would eventually trickle down to all payers.

you guys are hijacking the original question:)

BC/BS and all private carriers have their own weird policies and they are state-dependent, too.

On the other hand, if Medicare starts denying HA injection (actually, more specifically in OP's question, hyalgan injection), then the denial would eventually trickle down to all payers.

Medicare is covering it.

Various state BC/BS don't cover it starting in Mass. Most states still cover it though.