Quantcast

Hydrogen Bonding Question

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Reaction score
Why is the H-bond of a Hydrogen on F to a lone pair on Nitrogen the strongest?? I get the H-F part (the F pulls all of the electrons making the H very positive and therefore attracted to the Lone pair). But i dont get why that is the strongest or how to go about ranking H-bond strengths.

justadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
@csx

Where did you find this fact?

I thought the strongest was H-bond of Oxygen to a lone pair on nitrogen (I could very well have remembered it wrong though)?

To have a strong H-bond, you want to:
1) Have a hydrogen that is easily removed (if you have something more electronegative bonded to H, less electron density will be given to H and thus the H will be easier to remove)
2) Have a good electron pair donor (this is often associated with LESS electronegativity)

csx

Reaction score
@csx

Where did you find this fact?

I thought the strongest was H-bond of Oxygen to a lone pair on nitrogen (I could very well have remembered it wrong though)?

To have a strong H-bond, you want to:
1) Have a hydrogen that is easily removed (if you have something more electronegative bonded to H, less electron density will be given to H and thus the H will be easier to remove)
2) Have a good electron pair donor (this is often associated with LESS electronegativity)
I found it in TBR