Hygiene boards for dental students in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunner McGee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone?? Doesn't this seem like a good way to moon light or am I completely wrong?

Anyone?? Doesn't this seem like a good way to moon light or am I completely wrong?

We have a similar program here in Massachusetts. It's fine if you have free time and want to work. I would rather spend my free time (what little time there is) sleeping.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates did that while in school. In retrospect, I think it was a very good idea. After completing the perio requirements for sophomore perio block (I think), the student only had to finish 2 or 3 more patients to satisfy the requirements for the hygiene board. The student worked during the lighter semesters on the weekends, and definitely had an "in" to offices once they were licensed as a DDS.

Dental students are more than capable of doing of hygiene, BUT the California hygienists association have for many years lobbied the legislature to block them. I'm sure they're really p!ssed now because many of them used make $500-$800 a day w/ bonus. My brother currently works for SmileCare in Norcal has seen his hours cut to 2days/week and haven't been able to find a fulltime replacement job in a year. I can just see dentists hiring dental students for $30/hr instead of commiting to a hygienist.:(

Dental students are more than capable of doing of hygiene, BUT the California hygienists association have for many years lobbied the legislature to block them. I'm sure they're really p!ssed now because many of them used make $500-$800 a day w/ bonus. My brother currently works for SmileCare in Norcal has seen his hours cut to 2days/week and haven't been able to find a fulltime replacement job in a year. I can just see dentists hiring dental students for $30/hr instead of commiting to a hygienist.:(

30 bucks an hour times 7 hours = $210 a day?

probably not worth it for me, I would really only consider it if I could make twice that.

30 bucks an hour times 7 hours = $210 a day? probably not worth it for me, I would really only consider it if I could make twice that.

Then you're at the same pay level as the regular hygienist and approaching a new dentist's wage. Keep dreaming.