Hyperactive bowel sounds in sympathomimetic toxidrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc187

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why exactly are they hyperactive when sympathetic stimulation typically inhibits peristalsis and GI activity in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone could shed some light on sympathomimetic vs anticholinergic, that would be much appreciated
The hyperactive bowel sounds does not makes sense to me, nor does the excess sweating in sympathomimetic considering this is Ach innervation too (despite being part of sympathetic system)

Why exactly are they hyperactive when sympathetic stimulation typically inhibits peristalsis and GI activity in general?
I think it's to do with the amphetamines also increasing serotonin levels which play a play in GI motility

Reactions: 1 user
if anyone could shed some light on sympathomimetic vs anticholinergic, that would be much appreciated
The hyperactive bowel sounds does not makes sense to me, nor does the excess sweating in sympathomimetic considering this is Ach innervation too (despite being part of sympathetic system)
there are two types of sweat glands - on innervated by acetylcholine at muscarinic receptors and one innervated by noradrenaline. both are under control of the sympathetic nervous system