Hyperbaric medicine 4th yr elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustMe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

I'm trying to schedule my electives for 4th year, and have had a lot of trouble trying to find US medical schools that offer electives in Hyperbaric Medicine as a 4 week elective. If anyone knows of any schools that do offer this course, I would greatly appreciate you letting me know, and giving me the web address. I'm particularly interested in going somewhere I might get a chance to see some acute management of decompression sickness in divers ("the Bends"). Any help would be great. Thanx a ton!!

ME

Members don't see this ad.

check out Lac/usc in L.a.(california)
the er residents there man the chamber on catalina island which is used quite often as they have a high volume of divers there. you might also have some luck doing a rotation with the navy. good luck

I know Jacobi Hospital in the Bronx (NYC) has a hyperbaric chamber. This is run as part of the Jacobi ER, which has a well known and respected EM residency program.

I don't know if they offer an elective but Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit has a Hyperbaric chamber. People are sent from all over the state including from the Detroit Medical Center (Wayne State). They treat mostly acute CO poisoning cases and wound healing. You could try contacting the Emergency Medicine department to see if you could set something up.

Good luck.