Hypofractionation after Reduction Mammoplasty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaddeus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from some practitioners that there is a concern about increased soft tissue necrosis if treating breast with hypofractionated RT after reduction mammoplasty. I fail to see a plausible mechanism for this to be the case and could not find any data either supporting or refuting this, but wondering if anyone out there has any personal experience with this. Even looking at risk of late toxicity with an alpha/beta of 3, the BED for hypofractionation is less than standard fractionation.

Members don't see this ad.

I do it all the time and haven't had any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like another excuse to inappropriately prolong treatment.
Sounds like someone enjoying their academic sovereign immunity privilege.

If a pt was young and there is no data nor astro guidelines to support it, I can't fault them in the community, personally.

Yet another example of unnecessary fraction shaming.

I don't think it is possible to to cause true soft tissue radionecrosis with 40-43 Gy/3 weeks. Perhaps fat necrosis in boost field, but fat necrosis is a much more benign syndrome.

Reactions: 2 users
The data for hypofractionation show better long term cosmetic results, so I would imagine that if you had cosmetic concerns you would be more prone to hypofractionate ...

Reactions: 1 users
The concern is likely more with fat necrosis rather than true soft tissue necrosis. Unfortunate that we picked such similar names for things that aren't remotely the same in terms of severity.

I think there is much lower hanging fruit for 'fraction shaming' than something that guidelines don't discuss - while I personally may hypofractionate this case without too much thought, I don't want to project that only what I would do is right.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like someone enjoying their academic sovereign immunity privilege.

If a pt was young and there is no data nor astro guidelines to support it, I can't fault them in the community, personally.

Yet another example of unnecessary fraction shaming.

Is this really a thing? Recalcitrant community practitioners not willing to adjust their practice and labeling people who call out their unnecessary prolongation "fraction shamers"? #RadOncSnowflakes

I would also not hesitate to hypofractionate. There is zero evidence that Whelan regimen increases risk of soft tissue necrosis. The more relevant consideration in a mammoplasty is to identify the resection cavity.

I would also not hesitate to hypofractionate. There is zero evidence that Whelan regimen increases risk of soft tissue necrosis. The more relevant consideration in a mammoplasty is to identify the resection cavity.
Personally, I think hypo is probably fine, but I wouldnt boost in that scenario.

Anecdotally, a surgeon i used to work with who does oncoplasty mentioned to me a bad cosmetic outcome after radiation, where the patient got a boost.

I still won't fault anyone for standard fx though, esp if they decided to boost

Last edited:
Personally, I think hypo is probably fine, but I wouldnt boost in that scenario.

I still won't fault anyone for standard fx though, esp if they decided to boost

Thanks folks. Yes, not planning boost, as I verified with surgeon that he removed the entire lumpectomy bed with the reduction.

Knowing the people who have brought up this concern, I can say this does not arise from any financially motivated desire to extend fractionation. But I think it falls squarely into the realm of "oncolore" without any data to support it and, as multiple posters have pointed out, some data to indicate that hypofractionation is actually safer.

Thanks folks. Yes, not planning boost, as I verified with surgeon that he removed the entire lumpectomy bed with the reduction.

Knowing the people who have brought up this concern, I can say this does not arise from any financially motivated desire to extend fractionation. But I think it falls squarely into the realm of "oncolore" without any data to support it and, as multiple posters have pointed out, some data to indicate that hypofractionation is actually safer.

It's one thing to point out theoretical advantages vs disadvantages of hyofx, it is quite another to "fraction shame".

The bottom line is, academics =/= community/pp in terms of medicolegal risk, and without data or guidelines, there are different risk tolerances depending on where you practice. I personally haven't treated any oncoplasty patients but I have heard of a bad outcome in a patient who got a boost.

Btw, there is plenty of shenanigans that happen in the ivory tower, but I digress.

Our local surgeons ensure that tissue is not manipulated adjacent to the tumor bed and also stitch a Biozorb in place. If they have clinical indications to boost, I boost if the above has been done. I also hypofractionate as my interpretation of the data is that it provides superior cosmesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with those above: I would hypofractionate but if somebody used conventional fractionation I certainly wouldn't stop them.

As an aside, I bet hypofractionated course x academic compensation per fraction actually costs way more than standard fractionation x free-standing center rates in many locations so careful about preaching from the tower, especially when I can't imagine anybody is trying to get rich from something this trivial.

Sounds like another excuse to inappropriately prolong treatment
Which of these are appropriate for adjuvant postop breast radiation therapy for early breast CA, and/or which is inappropriate:
~20-25 fraction regimens (~20,000 women in EBCTCG meta-analyses)
42.5Gy/16fx (Whelan Canadian)
40Gy/15fx (UK IMPORT LOW)
39Gy/13fx (START A/B)
20 Gy/1fx (TARGIT)
0 Gy, no fractions (PRIME II)
A fellow could choose something from the top 'o the list while a fellow choosing something from the bottom could really poop on the guy choosing from the top as "inappropriately prolong[ing]" treatment. Not me! But some would. (You're gonna get ~10-15% more reimbursement for 16 vs 13 fractions e.g.)
(Trivia: the "original Whelan" was a 21 fraction regimen. People say he looks back on that with a feeling of... inappropriateness :))

Which of these are appropriate for adjuvant postop breast radiation therapy for early breast CA, and/or which is inappropriate:
~20-25 fraction regimens (~20,000 women in EBCTCG meta-analyses)
42.5Gy/16fx (Whelan Canadian)
40Gy/15fx (UK IMPORT LOW)
39Gy/13fx (START A/B)
20 Gy/1fx (TARGIT)
0 Gy, no fractions (PRIME II)
A fellow could choose something from the top 'o the list while a fellow choosing something from the bottom could really poop on the guy choosing from the top as "inappropriately prolong[ing]" treatment. Not me! But some would. (You're gonna get ~10-15% more reimbursement for 16 vs 13 fractions e.g.)
(Trivia: the "original Whelan" was a 21 fraction regimen. People say he looks back on that with a feeling of... inappropriateness :))

I think the main point we're trying to get across is that it is unnecessary to make a person come in for 5-6 weeks anymore, *especially* if long term cosmesis is the concern. Given that hypofractionation is now the current standard of care for adjuvant whole breast treatment, as per published ASTRO guidelines, there's just no excuse to bring people in that long.

If someone wants to give me odds, I'll wager the ongoing Canadian & French PMRT hypofrac studies will show similar locoregional control & improved cosmesis.

Also, shameless plug....our Breast SBRT trial is going to start soon. Anyone who is an APBI candidate will be offered 30Gy/5fx over one week, treated prone, with a BioZorb fiducial.

I think the main point we're trying to get across is that it is unnecessary to make a person come in for 5-6 weeks anymore, *especially* if long term cosmesis is the concern. Given that hypofractionation is now the current standard of care for adjuvant whole breast treatment, as per published ASTRO guidelines, there's just no excuse to bring people in that long.

If someone wants to give me odds, I'll wager the ongoing Canadian & French PMRT hypofrac studies will show similar locoregional control & improved cosmesis.

Also, shameless plug....our Breast SBRT trial is going to start soon. Anyone who is an APBI candidate will be offered 30Gy/5fx over one week, treated prone, with a BioZorb fiducial.

Will you bill this as sbrt? That will probably make it more costly than 15-20 fx of 3D whole or partial breast rt. Plus It’s already been done in randomized trial. Livi et al. Imrt. 30 gy in 5x qod.

Reactions: 3 users
ASTRO endorses hypofractionated RT for all patients including those with breast augmentation. I do not see a reason not to hypofractionate in cases of reduction mammoplasty.

Will you bill this as sbrt? That will probably make it more costly than 15-20 fx of 3D whole or partial breast rt. Plus It’s already been done in randomized trial. Livi et al. Imrt. 30 gy in 5x qod.

This is my question as well. I've done this on a couple of patients with small seromas and good markers (a few clips or biozorb) using the Italian randomized trial as justification.

I have only billed it as IMRT with one under treatment visit. I did daily CBCT but though I guess it met criteria for SBRT I didn't think it was in the spirit of "true" SBRT (I know, very subjective) so I didn't bill it as such.

But we can't trust dirty European data! Must repeat the trials here! Secondary outcome is the improved RVUs from being able to treat patients with SBRT for an early stage breast cancer.

I think people do SBRT just so that they can bill for SBRT, and then sell it as "patient convenience". Wonder when that golden goose is going to get cooked.

Reactions: 1 users
But we can't trust dirty European data! Must repeat the trials here! Secondary outcome is the improved RVUs from being able to treat patients with SBRT for an early stage breast cancer.

I think people do SBRT just so that they can bill for SBRT, and then sell it as "patient convenience". Wonder when that golden goose is going to get cooked.
bundled payments are going to change a lot of things....

Given that hypofractionation is now the current standard of care for adjuvant whole breast treatment, as per published ASTRO guidelines, there's just no excuse to bring people in that long.
Says you and ASTRO. NCCN guidelines still say 25 fractions is a standard. It still has a much greater representation in the randomized literature in terms of patient number versus hypofx (perhaps 100 to one?), and always will I suppose. And don't get me wrong: I'm acutely, profoundly aware of all the data. I just disagree that the old tried and true standard is no longer the standard, or a standard. People (invariably younger ones!) who think it's no longer the standard have perhaps succumbed to the anxiety of influence.
Of course... 30Gy/5fx will work. As I said, even giving zero gray works. But in alpha/beta's continuing triumphs (sorry Eli), we have shown that 50/25 equals 42.5/16 and 39/13. We've shown it clinically. If we assume a/b=3 for breast cancer, then 50/25=83Gy3, 42.5/16=80Gy3, and 39/13=78Gy3 (and this is why 39/13 has shown best cosmesis?). Also we showed 40/15=75Gy3 is OK for partial breast. Knowing all that, you can do something like this:
sVAVjwx.png

30/5 will be a boring trial for breast CA (but I guess if you're an academic, doing a trial you know will be good is the best trial to do). We know it will work (like someone said above). We know it will be totally equivalent to 50/25 or 42.5/16 or 40/15 partial breast. (But will it be "true SBRT?") We have a professional society (ASTRO) where people published articles saying IMRT was superior in breast cancer, but the society came out and said the people publishing about breast IMRT weren't doing "true" IMRT. Anyone doing SBRT for breast is at risk for the professional society coming out and saying one shouldn't bill SBRT for breast, yes?

Doing five fractions or less is the only way to get SBRT paid. Anything over 5 fractions: not SBRT. It would be better from a patient/societal standpoint, perhaps, to do a six-fraction breast trial vs a five-fraction breast trial. Just to bill a patient and insurance thousands and thousands of more dollars for doing just one less treatment (ie five vs six fractions) seems "attackable." Like some might say it's "inappropriate" (I hate that word) to bill SBRT for five fractions when you could do same exact treatment as 3D "SBRT lite" for six fractions? Maybe even best would be ~14.4 Gy in one fraction billed as 3D per the math (again, see spreadsheet above). One fraction would be cheapest! If we could show 30/5 is good for breast (and like I said, that trial is destined for a resounding non-failure), we could all easily say 30/6 (impossible to bill as SBRT) is good for breast. Certainly 30/6 would be WAY cheaper than 30/5.

As things are going, and I am not saying this with irony believe it or not, we will likely one day show (and profess) that for tumors whose a/b is 3 or less, a single fraction is the optimal approach. This is rad onc in 2018 thanks to Evicore (and ASTRO): the best rad onc trials are the ones where really all we're testing is if cheap, or quick, tx is OK. Something tells me as we go really quick, some people are trying to scoot cheap aside. They will find in time that they can not.

That didn't go the way he was expecting.

Anyone doing SBRT for breast is at risk for the professional society coming out and saying one shouldn't bill SBRT for breast, yes?

Doing five fractions or less is the only way to get SBRT paid. Anything over 5 fractions: not SBRT. It would be better from a patient/societal standpoint, perhaps, to do a six-fraction breast trial vs a five-fraction breast trial. Just to bill a patient and insurance thousands and thousands of more dollars for doing just one less treatment (ie five vs six fractions) seems "attackable." Like some might say it's "inappropriate" (I hate that word) to bill SBRT for five fractions when you could do same exact treatment as 3D "SBRT lite" for six fractions? Maybe even best would be ~14.4 Gy in one fraction billed as 3D per the math (again, see spreadsheet above). One fraction would be cheapest! If we could show 30/5 is good for breast (and like I said, that trial is destined for a resounding non-failure), we could all easily say 30/6 (impossible to bill as SBRT) is good for breast. Certainly 30/6 would be WAY cheaper than 30/5.

This is rad onc in 2018 thanks to Evicore (and ASTRO): the best rad onc trials are the ones where really all we're testing is if cheap, or quick, tx is OK. Something tells me as we go really quick, some people are trying to scoot cheap aside. They will find in time that they can not.

:thumbup:

It cannot be billed as SBRT yet from what I understand. Yes, we are aware of the the Livi data. 30Gy/5x is pilot trial for first 20 before we dose escalate and try and improve LR control further (which will take a lot of patients). Additional items on roadmap are pre-op SBRT for discretely targetable triple negative tumors. That may have to paired with upfront sentinel node biopsy...dunno yet, still in discussion stage.

It cannot be billed as SBRT
Joseph Heller would love:
1) launch SBRT trial
2) ostensibly perform SBRT
3) document SBRT; tell IRB and world “We do SBRT”
4) don’t bill the SBRT as SBRT

Yes, we are aware of the the Livi data. 30Gy/5x is pilot trial for first 20 before we dose escalate and try and improve LR control further (which will take a lot of patients).
For sure. The Livi trial showed ~1.5% LR failure using just 30/5. If it really is that low, a dose escalation trial going above 30/5 would likely need decades of accrual and thousands and thousands of patients to show a “statistically significant” improvement of one half of one percent to less than 1% LRF. A hypothesis/trial almost feasibly unprovable if so. (Don’t take me as being too critical or negative; I am at heart a skeptic. I laud research in all forms including yours. I am merely surprised with trying potentially high-cost SBRT for breast when ASTRO has preached low-cost, launching a “pilot trial” testing a treatment/dose already validated in a large randomized trial, or thinking about dose escalation when LRFs are probably already in the low single digits.)

Reactions: 2 users
SBRT for postoperative partial breast irradiation is not a promising concept in my opinion.
A more complex and more expensive treatment should only be pursued if one expects clinically meaningful advantages over standard of care or other alternatives.

Now, what would postoperative SBRT offer in comparison to IORT or 3D-conformal-PBI as performed for example in the IMPORT LOW or the Livi trial?

- Less local recurrent tumors? Perhaps, if you push the dose higher with SBRT. But how are you going to prove it? You would need thousands of patients randomized in a trial to show a 1-2% (that's what's left basically) benefit. And then people would ask: is it worth it? Is it worth to perform SBRT in 100 women, to avoid 1-2 recurrent tumors? There will obviously be no change in OS.

- Less side effects? Perhaps. But it's the same. You would still need thousands of patients to prove it. And at most you are looking into rather "non-striking" toxicity, perhaps a bit less skin fibrosis with SBRT (if you set your constraints tight).

The other big issue I have, is the whole concept of SBRT for this indication. SBRT is meant to be a technique which allows you to precisely hit a very well defined target. Is the volume of postoperative PBI well defined? Nope.
The volumes are completely different depending on technique: Mammosite, SAVI, IORT with electrons (Mobetron), IORT with X-ray (Intrabeam), multi-catheter brachytherapy all treat totally different volumes with different doses. Noone really knows, what the "correct" volume is. If you look into external beam techniques, some guidelines exist, but not everyone practices the same.
At my institution we delineate resection, cavity, seroma, clips, "postoperative changes" as "GTV" (you can also call it "surgical bed"); then add a [15mm MINUS closest resection margin in mm] CTV-margin, clip that at skin, ribs, chest wall, muscles; then add a 8mm PTV-margin. Then we plan with conformal techniques, not tangents only. We may even do VMAT.

But not everyone does the same.

Import Low treated a considerably larger volume with therapeutic doses due to using only tangents, they used a 15mm CTV-margin and a 10mm PTV-margin.
Livi put a 10mm CTV-margin around the clips and then a further 10mm around that to create the PTV.

There are two "problems" with the concept of SBRT:

1. The delineation of the GTV: Include only clips à la Livi? Delineate "the surgical bed" à la Import Low? Include resection, cavity, seroma, clips, "postoperative changes" as some guidelines say?
"Postoperative changes" are very variable depending on the person who is contouring. Normal breast tissue can easily be mistaken for it, especially in young patients.

2. The delineation of the CTV: 10mm or 15mm around the GTV/surgical bed?

3. And last and most crucial: the PTV margin. Since you want to do SBRT, I presume this margin is going to be very tight. Otherwise you don't need to name it SBRT. The problem is that this margin is the one that contributed to the biggest expansion of the target volume in both trials. So if you make that smaller, you are going to make your volume alot smaller. And what are you going to get then? More recurrent disease probably.
It's this PTV margin (and the tangential techniques in Import Low) that led to such good results. You "need" to irradiate a large portion of the breast with "some" dose in PBI to achieve good results. It's why the Eliot trial is looking better than the Target trial in terms of recurrent disease, electrons treat "more breast" than X-ray does. And I'm convinced that it's not the primary tumor which produces these excessive marginal failures, it's the undetected tiny secondary primaries or DCIS lurking in the rest of the breast. It's why some women who get postoperative WBRT for DCIS have a higher risk of DCIS in the contralateral breast than in the ipsilateral breast!

SBRT for postoperative partial breast irradiation is not a promising concept in my opinion.
A more complex and more expensive treatment should only be pursued if one expects clinically meaningful advantages over standard of care or other alternatives.

Now, what would postoperative SBRT offer in comparison to IORT or 3D-conformal-PBI as performed for example in the IMPORT LOW or the Livi trial?

- Less local recurrent tumors? Perhaps, if you push the dose higher with SBRT. But how are you going to prove it? You would need thousands of patients randomized in a trial to show a 1-2% (that's what's left basically) benefit. And then people would ask: is it worth it? Is it worth to perform SBRT in 100 women, to avoid 1-2 recurrent tumors? There will obviously be no change in OS.

- Less side effects? Perhaps. But it's the same. You would still need thousands of patients to prove it. And at most you are looking into rather "non-striking" toxicity, perhaps a bit less skin fibrosis with SBRT (if you set your constraints tight).

The other big issue I have, is the whole concept of SBRT for this indication. SBRT is meant to be a technique which allows you to precisely hit a very well defined target. Is the volume of postoperative PBI well defined? Nope.
The volumes are completely different depending on technique: Mammosite, SAVI, IORT with electrons (Mobetron), IORT with X-ray (Intrabeam), multi-catheter brachytherapy all treat totally different volumes with different doses. Noone really knows, what the "correct" volume is. If you look into external beam techniques, some guidelines exist, but not everyone practices the same.
At my institution we delineate resection, cavity, seroma, clips, "postoperative changes" as "GTV" (you can also call it "surgical bed"); then add a [15mm MINUS closest resection margin in mm] CTV-margin, clip that at skin, ribs, chest wall, muscles; then add a 8mm PTV-margin. Then we plan with conformal techniques, not tangents only. We may even do VMAT.

Import Low treated a considerably larger volume with therapeutic doses due to using only tangents, they used a 15mm CTV-margin and a 10mm PTV-margin.
Livi put a 10mm CTV-margin around the clips and then a further 10mm around that to create the PTV.

1. The delineation of the GTV: Include only clips à la Livi? Delineate "the surgical bed" à la Import Low? Include resection, cavity, seroma, clips, "postoperative changes" as some guidelines say?
"Postoperative changes" are very variable depending on the person who is contouring. Normal breast tissue can easily be mistaken for it, especially in young patients.

3. And last and most crucial: the PTV margin. Since you want to do SBRT, I presume this margin is going to be very tight. Otherwise you don't need to name it SBRT. The problem is that this margin is the one that contributed to the biggest expansion of the target volume in both trials. So if you make that smaller, you are going to make your volume alot smaller. And what are you going to get then? More recurrent disease probably.
It's this PTV margin (and the tangential techniques in Import Low) that led to such good results. You "need" to irradiate a large portion of the breast with "some" dose in PBI to achieve good results. It's why the Eliot trial is looking better than the Target trial in terms of recurrent disease, electrons treat "more breast" than X-ray does. And I'm convinced that it's not the primary tumor which produces these excessive marginal failures, it's the undetected tiny secondary primaries or DCIS lurking in the rest of the breast. It's why some women who get postoperative WBRT for DCIS have a higher risk of DCIS in the contralateral breast than in the ipsilateral breast!
Yep.

Says you and ASTRO. NCCN guidelines still say 25 fractions is a standard. It still has a much greater representation in the randomized literature in terms of patient number versus hypofx (perhaps 100 to one?), and always will I suppose. And don't get me wrong: I'm acutely, profoundly aware of all the data. I just disagree that the old tried and true standard is no longer the standard, or a standard. People (invariably younger ones!) who think it's no longer the standard have perhaps succumbed to the anxiety of influence.

Of course... 30Gy/5fx will work. As I said, even giving zero gray works. But in alpha/beta's continuing triumphs (sorry Eli), we have shown that 50/25 equals 42.5/16 and 39/13. We've shown it clinically. If we assume a/b=3 for breast cancer, then 50/25=83Gy3, 42.5/16=80Gy3, and 39/13=78Gy3 (and this is why 39/13 has shown best cosmesis?). Also we showed 40/15=75Gy3 is OK for partial breast. Knowing all that, you can do something like this:
sVAVjwx.png

30/5 will be a boring trial for breast CA (but I guess if you're an academic, doing a trial you know will be good is the best trial to do). We know it will work (like someone said above). We know it will be totally equivalent to 50/25 or 42.5/16 or 40/15 partial breast. (But will it be "true SBRT?") We have a professional society (ASTRO) where people published articles saying IMRT was superior in breast cancer, but the society came out and said the people publishing about breast IMRT weren't doing "true" IMRT. Anyone doing SBRT for breast is at risk for the professional society coming out and saying one shouldn't bill SBRT for breast, yes?

As things are going, and I am not saying this with irony believe it or not, we will likely one day show (and profess) that for tumors whose a/b is 3 or less, a single fraction is the optimal approach. This is rad onc in 2018 thanks to Evicore (and ASTRO): the best rad onc trials are the ones where really all we're testing is if cheap, or quick, tx is OK. Something tells me as we go really quick, some people are trying to scoot cheap aside. They will find in time that they can not.

I would love to do single fraction. I would also love to do pre-op single fraction for high-risk, node-negative tumors.

We are delineating our GTV with a biozorb fiducial. CTV is 1cm expansion. PTV is 3mm. The fiducials in the biozorb will facilitate triggered imaging, allowing the tight PTV.

The discussion of occult microscopic primaries or DCIS is a completely separate one. Given that the vast majority of marginal failures have the same IHC profile as the original, I don't think there is sufficient evidence to support your hypothesis that secondary primaries are the driving etiology of excess marginal failures; although I cannot rule it out. Time and data will bear that out.

We are delineating our GTV with a biozorb fiducial. CTV is 1cm expansion. PTV is 3mm. The fiducials in the biozorb will facilitate triggered imaging, allowing the tight PTV.

The discussion of occult microscopic primaries or DCIS is a completely separate one. Given that the vast majority of marginal failures have the same IHC profile as the original, I don't think there is sufficient evidence to support your hypothesis that secondary primaries are the driving etiology of excess marginal failures; although I cannot rule it out. Time and data will bear that out.

What is your GTV?