Hypothetical ethics scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeLove

Forensic Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that a psychologist's partner was applying for a job. As part of the later hiring process, they are required to take a personality/work performance related inventory. The partner doesn't know the name of said instrument, but the psychologist ponders over whether or not to tell her about certain things to avoid doing (i.e., responding in an overly virtuous manner). Is this a problem, if let's say, the psychologist offers his thoughts? Again...strictly hypothetical........

Members don't see this ad.

I would find it to be a problem. I'm not currently looking at the ethics codes, but it hits on a few general principles for me including integrity and justice. Also, one of my ethical responsibilities is test security. This is obviously not a situation in which I as the psychologist would be unbiased seeing as it's my partner. At a minimum it's highly questionable to give my partner an unfair advantage on "passing" a psychological assessment by coaching them on how to take the test.

Let's say that a psychologist's partner was applying for a job. As part of the later hiring process, they are required to take a personality/work performance related inventory. The partner doesn't know the name of said instrument, but the psychologist ponders over whether or not to tell her about certain things to avoid doing (i.e., responding in an overly virtuous manner). Is this a problem, if let's say, the psychologist offers his thoughts? Again...strictly hypothetical........

Telling someone to essentially "just be honest"and to warn them that the profession is capable of assessing symptom distorting is in no way an ethical violation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I also might say something about in addition to being honest, try to be consistent and not over-analyze the nuance of the wording in each question. That said, this particular piece of advice comes from my own experience "failing" vocational psychological tests as much as from knowing how these tests are constructed and scored.