SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Hypothetical Question about Med School Prestige

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jkjkjk, May 13, 2008.

1. jkjkjk

jkjkjk 2+ Year Member

May 13, 2008
    Ok, i know that prestige of med school is not that important but i want to know about how important it could be.

So lets say you get into Ohio State and UCSF. Both very good med school.

Ohio state will cost you around 30 thousand dollars a year (instate +financial aid) and UCSF will cost you around 50 thousand dollars a year. Also living expenses at UCSF will be around 10Kish and at Ohio State will be 5Kish. Also, (in my situation) your parents will be offering around 20K a year. Alternatively where would you go if Ohio State was completely free.

On top of that, lets say you want to do Radiology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, or Othupicalogy (however you spell it).

Which school would you go to?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Steeler7588

Steeler7588 7+ Year Member

May 7, 2008
  4. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2003
    UCSF for location.
  5. Cegar

Cegar 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Dude. You just made a googlewhack.
  6. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

sorry, i can't get past this. where on earth are living expenses only 10K? that's extremely unrealistic.
  7. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy" 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Ummm... depends on where you want to practice. If it's Cali, then you go to UCSF. If it's Ohio, then you go to Ohio State.

Other than that, stop dealing in hypotheticals. We can only really help you if you give us real information to work with.

You live with your parents? o_O
  8. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    ok did you mean opthalmology or orthopaedics...because I have no idea what othopucialogy is
  9. Pinkertinkle

Oct 16, 2003
    I think it's an amalgam of the O specialties like ortho-, ophtho-, otolaryngonaso-
  10. Pinkertinkle

Oct 16, 2003
    I would not necessarily agree with this.
  11. ninjapenguin

ninjapenguin 5+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2008
    This "hypothetical" situation doesn't make much sense if you're using it to answer your question. What makes even less sense is why you would even want to know in the first place, if indeed this situation is purely "hypothetical". Finally, what make the least sense of all is why I bothered reading and posting in this thread. My world is just upside down right now...
  12. ninjapenguin

ninjapenguin 5+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2008
    No, this isn't true at all for medical school. Residency matters more.
  13. Archdelux

Archdelux Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2006
    haha..i can't stop laughing..Othupicalogy!!

14. dArroway

dArroway Gettin' my hood on 2+ Year Member

I think this may be a troll.... just a guess (look at name)
  15. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom Banned Physician 10+ Year Member

googlewhacks need to be two legitimate words

thats a googlejack
  16. The Doctor

The Doctor EMH Mark I 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I dunno, I think this depends on what you want to do with the rest of your career. If you're looking for an academic appointment, then building a "prestigious" pedigree of places you've been will help. Research opportunities may also be easier to come by. With that said, I think you can be successful anywhere - you can put in the time to study for Step I, to do research, and to get good grades anywhere, and to a large extent, medical education is fairly standardized in content (but by no means identical in format, with Duke being an obvious exception to the traditional curriculum). I think having the "prestige" factor might help you get your foot in the door later for a residency interview, but it is ultimately up to you to put in the hard work.
  17. Maxprime

Maxprime Higgs chaser 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Hypothetically? I would hypothetically not worry about this until I got into both schools. If you're in that situation, congrats. Since you're probably not, don't worry about it.
  18. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman 5+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2007
    seeing as the tuition figures look inflated, I would bet the OP included rent and tuition together w/ food and 'extras' comprising the 10k (just a guess)
  19. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

i meant 10K was an extreme low ball figure for living expenses. Just paying rent & health insurance could cost you that; not even considering food, bills, transportation.
  20. geogil

geogil Still training. 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    When you're raking in the dough as an othupicologist, debt won't matter. Just go where you feel comfortable. Unless Othupicology doesn't pay well, in which you case you might consider saving some dough at Ohio. :D
  21. nevercold

nevercold 2+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2007
    If you LIKED each school equally well, I would choose UCSF unless Ohio State was completely free (i.e. no tuition and living expenses completely covered by parents' contribution and/or scholarships). The prestige of UCSF does matter for residency. Additionally, if you would be in-state at OSU, then maybe you should go out of state to see a new place.
  22. Bacchus

Bacchus Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2007
    I survive on about 8K a year for undergrad. If you're in a city with cheap rent its a possibility but I'm not eating lobster every night, or any night for that matter.