1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hypothetical question on CBT based MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by masterMood, Dec 9, 2005.

1. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/cbtfaq.htm

For the new mcat that will be computerized starting August 2006, the test can be taken over 22 times in the course of the year. Now I don'tknow how much MCATs cost, but could you take as many official MCATs and then cancel them at the end when you're done? Or would it show on yoru record that you cancelled it.

Also the MCAT's price is supposed to increase as a result ofthe new CBTformat, how much does it cost now?

And finally,to those who will be the first to take the August 2006, are they in a good/bad condition since the format is completely different and there isn't much prep for it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

A couple of points:

1. You can still do paper and pencil in August 2006. This is the last administration you can do this though.

2. CBT is administered in a few locations currently. August 2006 should see a wider deployment.

3. The current CBT - you can void at the end (or anywhere in between) just like the paper-pencil. There hasn't been an announcement that you will be unable to void. I'd imagine you still have to show proof that you're still applying after taking it 3+ times.

4. It's not cheap (~$200). So say you take it 10x, that's ~$2000. It's shorter, but still not worth blowing your money like that, IMHO. Keep in mind you still need money to interview (air, hotel, car and such). I can't imagine the cost of testing going up with CBT. As with anyother type of automation, the incremental cost of distribution goes down. That doesn't mean AAMC/prometric would pass on the savings to us.

5. Currently it doesn't show on your record that you voided. I can't imagine this would change, though there hasn't been an official announcement regarding this.

4. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also if you read closely, it says 22 times divided into testing windows.
    Therefore you could take it but 4-5 times/year.

I also don't know how schools will view multiple MCATs will change. I think people with good scores will try to take it again to improve.
    I would retake with a 30 if it didn't affect the timing of my app without a doubt.

5. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes. currently, I think all of the administrations abroad are CBT, but I don't think it'll start here until 2007. I teach for Kaplan, and I was told that the april/august 2006 admins will still be paper and pencil. Kaplan is currently working on revising its strategy prep.

6. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moving to the MCAT forum...