Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JC2, Jan 4, 2009.

1. JC2

JC2
    10+ Year Member

You're a lower (first or second) year pre-med hunting for your first research position for the summer. The only position available involves working with live tigers. Do you take the job?

I post this because I'm curious to see exactly how far some pre-meds are willing to go.

2. Vido

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am left handed. So, No not that one. But are you?

3. chemnerd89

chemnerd89 In it for the lulz
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    [youtube]b7RqkPy0lBQ[/youtube]

yes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't quite understand the question. Pre-med or not, it would be AWESOME to work with live tigers!

"Tiger got to hunt,
    Bird got to fly,
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why

Tiger got to eat,
    Bird got to land,
    Man got to tell himself he understand"

????????? CLASS OF 2013

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. silverhorse84

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As long as it was safe (as safe as working with them could be), heck yeah I would work with tigers!!! :D

That'd be so cool, and an awesome conversation starter for interviews...:p

6. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

What? :confused:
    I agree. Tigers are awesome. My friend actually had the privilege of working with a liger (is that how it's spelled?) for quite some time. For those who don't know, it's a cross between a lion and a tiger. Sweet eh?

7. GoldShadow

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's... disturbing.

8. Ibn Rushd

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hell no. Who does research their first year?

9. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only if I got to play with the Tigers. I bet they'd be ****ing awesome at playing fetch.

10. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No. Its fun to be different but that kind of research won't hold as much weight (especially when you are applying to the top 5 schools). I know the competition for those research spots can be rough but its not worth it. For those that are looking, check out the opportunities at this link: http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

11. nick_carraway

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I dunno, man. SDNers of previous cycles have already demonstrated their willingness to eat a poop hot dog for admission to a med school of their choice.

I don't think a set of tigers is going to scare this group away from a research position.

12. Karees

Karees MS3
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I am also left-handed...but I also do not understand this response.

I would totally take it...but I don't have ambitions of being a surgeon...you can totally be a pill-pusher without hands.

13. quiltlady

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    A friend of mine first thought she would go to vet school, and did an internship at Wildlife Safari, later she worked at the Honolulu zoo. After all this experience she decided she preferred people to animals, and is now an M2

14. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It would probably be more dangerous to work with other premeds than to work with tigers. They are much more back-stabbing and ruthless, and find joy in other's downfall whereas tigers are just looking for a meal.

Put a premed in a room with 2 hungry wolves and another premed, then give the first premed a gun with 2 bullets. You know what happens? Premed one shoots premed 2, twice. Then writes it off on their ECs.

15. Vido

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Duh,,Usually in movies and so, everyone who loses their hand loses the left one! how can I write without it if a tiger attacks me!!

(It was too late when i wrote that yesterday. But did you honetly think that by being left handed, you were supposed to understand something a right handed person would not understand?)

16. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Live tigers. It sounds fascinating. Some adcom members are suckers for things that applicants have done that make them say, "I'd like to meet this person".

Animal research does hold weight with top schools. I don't know why you think that it would not.

17. WhizoMD

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Work with with live tigers as an undergrad? That'd be a great opportunity :), and it sounds fun.

18. Myuu

Myuu 例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Living. Breathing. Tigers.

As long as there's no (only minimal?!) risk of you getting killed/mauled/rendered-unable-to-engage-in-"doctoring" I would do it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

(But I love cats... and the whole family Felidae in general. I mean they're so cute!! Just look!

[​IMG]

He'd totally play around with you before he finished you off! Isn't that sweet?!)