Hypothetical Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JC2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're a lower (first or second) year pre-med hunting for your first research position for the summer. The only position available involves working with live tigers. Do you take the job?

I post this because I'm curious to see exactly how far some pre-meds are willing to go.

Members don't see this ad.

I am left handed. So, No not that one. But are you?

[youtube]b7RqkPy0lBQ[/youtube]

yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't quite understand the question. Pre-med or not, it would be AWESOME to work with live tigers!

"Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly,
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why

Tiger got to eat,
Bird got to land,
Man got to tell himself he understand"

????????? CLASS OF 2013

As long as it was safe (as safe as working with them could be), heck yeah I would work with tigers!!! :D

That'd be so cool, and an awesome conversation starter for interviews...:p

What? :confused:
I don't quite understand the question. Pre-med or not, it would be AWESOME to work with live tigers!

I agree. Tigers are awesome. My friend actually had the privilege of working with a liger (is that how it's spelled?) for quite some time. For those who don't know, it's a cross between a lion and a tiger. Sweet eh?

Hell no. Who does research their first year?

You're a lower (first or second) year pre-med hunting for your first research position for the summer. The only position available involves working with live tigers. Do you take the job?

I post this because I'm curious to see exactly how far some pre-meds are willing to go.
No. Its fun to be different but that kind of research won't hold as much weight (especially when you are applying to the top 5 schools). I know the competition for those research spots can be rough but its not worth it. For those that are looking, check out the opportunities at this link: http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

I dunno, man. SDNers of previous cycles have already demonstrated their willingness to eat a poop hot dog for admission to a med school of their choice.

I don't think a set of tigers is going to scare this group away from a research position.

I am also left-handed...but I also do not understand this response.

I would totally take it...but I don't have ambitions of being a surgeon...you can totally be a pill-pusher without hands.

A friend of mine first thought she would go to vet school, and did an internship at Wildlife Safari, later she worked at the Honolulu zoo. After all this experience she decided she preferred people to animals, and is now an M2

As long as it was safe (as safe as working with them could be), heck yeah I would work with tigers!!! :D

It would probably be more dangerous to work with other premeds than to work with tigers. They are much more back-stabbing and ruthless, and find joy in other's downfall whereas tigers are just looking for a meal.

Put a premed in a room with 2 hungry wolves and another premed, then give the first premed a gun with 2 bullets. You know what happens? Premed one shoots premed 2, twice. Then writes it off on their ECs.

I am also left-handed...but I also do not understand this response.

I would totally take it...but I don't have ambitions of being a surgeon...you can totally be a pill-pusher without hands.

Duh,,Usually in movies and so, everyone who loses their hand loses the left one! how can I write without it if a tiger attacks me!!

(It was too late when i wrote that yesterday. But did you honetly think that by being left handed, you were supposed to understand something a right handed person would not understand?)

No. Its fun to be different but that kind of research won't hold as much weight (especially when you are applying to the top 5 schools). I know the competition for those research spots can be rough but its not worth it. For those that are looking, check out the opportunities at this link: http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm

Live tigers. It sounds fascinating. Some adcom members are suckers for things that applicants have done that make them say, "I'd like to meet this person".

Animal research does hold weight with top schools. I don't know why you think that it would not.

Work with with live tigers as an undergrad? That'd be a great opportunity :), and it sounds fun.

Living. Breathing. Tigers.

As long as there's no (only minimal?!) risk of you getting killed/mauled/rendered-unable-to-engage-in-"doctoring" I would do it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

(But I love cats... and the whole family Felidae in general. I mean they're so cute!! Just look!

300px-Tiger-zoologie.de0001_22.JPG

He'd totally play around with you before he finished you off! Isn't that sweet?!)