Hypothetical "what are my chances if" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got one more year until I graduate with my second degree in Biology (first was in Psych)

My cumulative uGPA: 2.71 not counting courses retaken for higher grades
Let's just say my post bacc gpa for my second degree path is: 3.75
(my last 60 hours i've averaged a 3.65)

I'm not sure exactly how they separate total uGPA and post-bacc GPA, but the good thing is that they do grade replacement, which I will have to factor in after I finish in May. As someone who realizes that I have unacceptable stats, I think that what would be best for me is to rock the MCAT, apply broadly to SMP's and DO Schools (just in case) next May and continue shadowing and working in the ER. Most every school i've come across, especially the ones I really would love to go to, have fairly strict 3.0 baselines, with most GPA's being much higher. I hate feeling like this is going to take 2 or 3 tries but it is what it is.

I guess I'm wondering, based on these stats..would an SMP really strengthen my application and chances? Or would it be money down the drain?

Thanks for any responses

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your DO GPA (using grade subs) ?

I'm not sure. I've replaced four grades so far, all with A's , so I'm assuming it's getting close to the 3.0 mark.

No need for an SMP if you finish with that post-bac GPA. Do well on MCAT and every DO school will be yours, and maybe your state MD schools as well.

Thank you for the response.