yuqiangw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
Status
Dear all,
I think there are a lot of gals from here have the same situation as I do. The international office ask for 2 years financial document for our study. But for private loans, school wont' approve our loans until we register. However, if we dont' provide financial document, school wont' give us I-20 that we can't register. Well, that lead the problem to.. we have to have 160K in our bank :eek: (cash) to get the I-20. ppl, who could have 160K cash in the bank? I found 70K somehow. but how can I find 160K???? anywhere!!! :confused:
anybody who went through the whole hassel give me some hope here.
yuq

healthy teeth

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
yuqiangw said:
Dear all,
I think there are a lot of gals from here have the same situation as I do. The international office ask for 2 years financial document for our study. But for private loans, school wont' approve our loans until we register. However, if we dont' provide financial document, school wont' give us I-20 that we can't register. Well, that lead the problem to.. we have to have 160K in our bank :eek: (cash) to get the I-20. ppl, who could have 160K cash in the bank? I found 70K somehow. but how can I find 160K???? anywhere!!! :confused:
anybody who went through the whole hassel give me some hope here.
yuq
hi
I am in the same dilemma...the private lenders ask for a social security number to apply for loan(i dont have as i am on h4 visa)and that i can have only if i convert my status to f1 but to provide an i20, school asks for the proof of 2 years financial statement..this is a vicious cycle..dont know what is the solution :confused:

Ann 03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2004
Status
hi
cant the private lenders take ur cosigners social?
u will not be borrowing the money only the sponsor (cosigners )will be borrowing the money on ur behalf.
yugi u r joining ucsf ,right?160 k is toomuch. how did u manage the 70k as cash.
did u borrow the money and put it in ur account or did u ask ur friends to show as if they r sponsoring foir u?
if u put the money in ur account did u have to pay taxes for tht money ? and also how much time do u have to keep tht money in ur account?

Callous K9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
US
Visit site
Status
healthy teeth said:
hi
I am in the same dilemma...the private lenders ask for a social security number to apply for loan(i dont have as i am on h4 visa)and that i can have only if i convert my status to f1 but to provide an i20, school asks for the proof of 2 years financial statement..this is a vicious cycle..dont know what is the solution :confused:

hey ther!!
i'll b joinig penn this april. The school had given me the option to fill the 1-20 but my lawyer has adviced me to stay on my h4 since our green card is in process.
Since i will stay on my h4.... i dont have a social sec number.
So according to what i see in this thread..private loans ask for the social sec number of the student???? i thought they needed the social sec number of the co-signer.I tried to call the office today but realized its closed for the holiday.
Are ther any students who intend to study on their h4 ?...if yes...what are you guys doing about it???? If thers anyone in a similar situation..do pen down your plans.

OP
Y

yuqiangw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
Status
I ask the money from my friendsss, (of course, several) not transfer banks, only show a statement and their letter of supporting me. I-20 is a killer.
yuq

elementz

Happiness and Sunshine:)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
I am where my heart is...
Visit site
Status
Callous K9 said:
hey ther!!
i'll b joinig penn this april. The school had given me the option to fill the 1-20 but my lawyer has adviced me to stay on my h4 since our green card is in process.
Since i will stay on my h4.... i dont have a social sec number.
So according to what i see in this thread..private loans ask for the social sec number of the student???? i thought they needed the social sec number of the co-signer.I tried to call the office today but realized its closed for the holiday.
Are ther any students who intend to study on their h4 ?...if yes...what are you guys doing about it???? If thers anyone in a similar situation..do pen down your plans.

Dear Callous,
First of all Congrats on ur acceptance to Upenn...
I am on a h-4 visa (green card underway) as well and am joining USC this april...I have been going through a lot of stress :scared: lately regarding the visa and loan n stuff (and here I thought the stress would be over once I got admitted into school!!! ;) ).
Anyways, our lawyer said that this fact may not bear down as much in our situation & that it was a long shot as our green card would take a while (probably towards the end of this year) to process what with the priority dates in effect now. I talked to a couple of lenders and they all were of the same opinion that I need a SSN....inspite of having a credit worthy co-signer. I talked to the financial aid office at school and they asked me to apply for an I-20 ASAP... Gave it quite a thought and am finally going ahead with it...No other alternative!!!
I have not yet spoken to access group...will do so soon and post here...
Anyone in a similar boat please share your thoughts and suggestions.
best wishes to everyone...