TuffyDDS

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
Hi!
I have been recently accepted into USC. But I am waiting for other interviews as well. Though USC is my first choice, I am still not sure which school to accept.

So my question is, since I plan to visit my native country in these winters, I wanted to know that if I apply for I 20 on the basis of USC n later I accept some other program will that I 20 be valid or I 20 is specific for each college?

Hope to get answer to my ques soon so that I can plan out my trip..:cool:

Thanks

La fea

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Yes.
If u enter the country on USC I 20 you are obligated to go to USC for atleast 1 semester. BUT since u are a student of ASPID, a transfer is NOT possible

TuffyDDS

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
Yes.
If u enter the country on USC I 20 you are obligated to go to USC for atleast 1 semester. BUT since u are a student of ASPID, a transfer is NOT possible

Thanks so much.

Also can I get I-20 from 3 schools n then decide which one I choose? As I will be away for about 2 months so I wanted to apply for I-20 before going.So that when i am back [after 2 mnths] ,which one to use for my student visa.

So basically is this possible????

Last edited:
About the Ads

La fea

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Thanks so much.

Also can I get I-20 from 3 schools n then decide which one I choose? As I will be away for about 2 months so I wanted to apply for I-20 before going.So that when i am back [after 2 mnths] ,which one to use for my student visa.

This is a toughie!
Wait a minute... are u in the US now? if so what visa? A lot depends on your current situation also.

If your current visa is B1/B2, I'll tell you a different thing, if it is H, F, L or J visa then it is a different ball game.

To my best knowledge its like this- if you enter the country on F1 visa/I20 of ABC University , you are obligated/mandatory to go to ABC university for 1 semester before transfer.

I strongly recommend that before u go, choose a school, do the paper work, keep in touch with the International Office of your preferred school/consult with them and then go home. The rules constantly change and your situation is unique, this is no way to gather information. Can't stress that enough.

And yes I understand your position- to explore all options and all schools before making a choice. And you should.

Lastly I think you can have 3 different I 20s. Each I 20 is unique.

skabbaraju

Unbound Imagination
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Thanks so much.

Yes, you can. But once you come to the US on F-1 visa, you should return the other (unused) I-20s to respective schools.
Good luck!

incision

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
hi TuffyDDS

By the time u go for visa u will know the acceptances from other schools.....
so dont bother.....
if you get acceptance from other school in which ur interested then take that I20 for visa at embassy........
even aftr getting visa if you change ur mind.......
(Bcoz it all depends on SEVIS number now.....)
u can apply for transfer.....as u have just apply for SEVIS transfer only......
(plz keep all ur I20s safe.......they r required when u go for processing for green card......u have to submit them)
but some schools dont allow for transfer without doing atleast 1 semester....
all this depends on the schools international admissions office......
i have got a frnd who got transferred (MS Progran) without doing even one semester......
donna abt dental schools.....
anyways hope this helps u.....

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.