I already got in, do I need to finish my masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I already got into school and am in my second and last semester of my masters program. I haven't paid my tuition yet for the second semester and am wondering is it necessary to finish the program, or can I save my $10K and put it towards dental school? In all honesty, I can careless to have to an MBS but my only concern is, do schools care if you finish the program or not? Nothing was specified in my acceptance packet, only that I have to a BA/BS by August 1, 2009, which of course I already have. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

what kind of masters is it? if its one of the special masters programs than yes you have to finish it. If not, than you should call the school and explain the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people that were in your shoes, and they were glad they stuck it out. Heck, you've already paid the tuition for it, I would go ahead and just finish it. I don't think you'll regret it if you do. But your situation may be different. Good luck.

well that's the thing, if I paid my tuition of course there would be no reason for me not to finish, it would only help. But I have NOT paid it yet, and if I get an okay from my school, I think I'd rather save the $10K and study on my own before dental school. $10K is a lot of money and that would be $10K less I'd have to payback in loans...

you HAVE to call the school you were accepted to and ask.

Most schools say you have to finish. Especially if you put down a degree expected date on your application.

Did you list a MS in progress on your app? Did you list future course work?

If you did and you drop out without asking the school first, they can revoke the seat. You would be rejected based on "lying" on the app.

Sorry I misread your post. I understand the money aspect. I think I would be tempted to quit as well to maybe get a job and have some money saved. I would do what the guy above said and call the school.

yea thanks guys, I e-mailed them today and am waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully they'll understand the money issue, but we'll see, pray for me!

Hey guys, I already got into school and am in my second and last semester of my masters program. I haven't paid my tuition yet for the second semester and am wondering is it necessary to finish the program, or can I save my $10K and put it towards dental school? In all honesty, I can careless to have to an MBS but my only concern is, do schools care if you finish the program or not? Nothing was specified in my acceptance packet, only that I have to a BA/BS by August 1, 2009, which of course I already have. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Think very carefully about this. Dropping a graduate degree before completion will probably come back to bite you in the butt if you ever decide to do a dental specialty. I remember Dr. ARM, who is SDN's Postdoctoral Residency Advisor, mentioning that dropping a graduate degree before completion could kill your chances of getting into a dental specialty. He mentioned it in one of the old threads not too long ago. You should definitely send him a PM if specializing is even a remote possibility for you.

I don't see how it could hurt him in the long run unless it's a research/thesis based masters. However, I could be wrong. It could help him down the road in a specialty where research experience is beneficial when it's time to apply(OMFS, Perio).

Think very carefully about this. Dropping a graduate degree before completion will probably come back to bite you in the butt if you ever decide to do a dental specialty. I remember Dr. ARM, who is SDN's Postdoctoral Residency Advisor, mentioning that dropping a graduate degree before completion could kill your chances of getting into a dental specialty. He mentioned it in one of the old threads not too long ago. You should definitely send him a PM if specializing is even a remote possibility for you.

this

anytime you quit something it generally can only come back and hurt you. In the end if you eat the 10g loss and suck it up you'll have some extra letters after your DMD/DDS which makes a difference if your trying to get into academia 20 years from now. Or its just some extra firepower if you want to specialize. Your ONE semester away just suck it up and finish. Odds are you will regret this decision even if its 30 years from now and your sitting around and going "damn I really wish I just finished that stupid degree."

that's not a bad point, i wouldn't want to close the door on specializing before even getting to dental school. thanks for the advice and smacking some sense into me, much appreciated guys!

also, especially since i'm taking anatomy right now with the UMDNJ medical school since that's where I'm doing my masters. I might save me some stress in D1

I don't see how it could hurt him in the long run unless it's a research/thesis based masters. However, I could be wrong. It could help him down the road in a specialty where research experience is beneficial when it's time to apply(OMFS, Perio).

You'd have to ask Dr. Arm about that. I'm not 100% certain how it is a problem. I just know that he said it could kill your chances of getting accepted into a dental specialty. I'm just the messenger repeating what I read in an old thread. I think someone else was thinking about doing the same thing and Dr. Arm bought that point to his attention.