1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

I already volunteer in ER, but want more experience. How?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Jun 27, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Hi folks,
    I volunteer in the ER of my local hospital, and it's pretty good, but due to liability issues the level of things I get to do is very limited, and quite a bit of the work is mindless. I want to contribute more as a volunteer, but I'm stuck until I have further training.

I thought about eMT, but the program in my state is very intense (2 semesters of full time school, no night classes avail).

Any suggestions on whether there are any certificates/programs i can complete that will allow me to do more hands-on medical work? I was considering getting a nurse's aid certification...

Any help would be appreciated! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. meatloaf king

meatloaf king Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know what your situation is where you are, but getting to know a physician definatley has paid off for me. I have shadowed this one doctor for the past two years and in the last few months he's allowed me to do tasks an intern or resident might take care of, mainly because he knows me so well. Why don't you talk to some of the doctors you know from the ER, see what they can do?

4. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

You can probably get a job as an ER Tech by taking a CENA class. The hospital may then give you a few more classes on more advanced skills, but this shouldn't take to long to accomplish. For instance, we just had to learn to draw blood etc. A lot of the stuff is learned on the job during orientation.

5. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Find a physician (preferably not an EM doc, maybe Internal medicine or Family practice) and ask to follow them around a couple times a month. I think seeing patients this way will be much more useful to you in learning about specific diseases and seeing what they actually do to patients lives.

The ED may be exciting, but unless you're a medical student or above, you probably won't find it very stimulating.

6. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    qweewq11--

the emt program is 2 semesters of full-time classes?? really? are you sure that's not for the paramedic class? i'm not trying to second-guess you, it's just that i've never heard of an emt class like that!!

you might also want to look into volunteering in nursing homes... you won't necessarily be getting medical experience, but you will get direct contact w/people w/lots of medical issues, and it'd give you a whole different perspective than ER stuff.

7. Prospective Doctor

10+ Year Member

Hi,

Ask your volunteer dept if they have any openings in Operating room or nursing aide?
    I will start next week as a volunteer in operating room tramsporting patients on stretchers. I am, however, required to wear scrub suits.