I always completely bomb one passage on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balopathic45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just took the verbal section on 5R. I only got one wrong on the first 4 passages (29/30). Completely bombed the 5th passage (3/9) and did alright on the rest and ended up with a total of 10 wrong. If anyone has the exam, the passage I'm specifically referring to is the picasso one. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any tips on how you were able to deal with it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember the Picasso passage and it was a killer for me as well. If you do a quick google search you'll see a lot of people had trouble with that passage. If anyone has tips on how to approach it, that would be great.

Hey guys,

I just took the verbal section on 5R. I only got one wrong on the first 4 passages (29/30). Completely bombed the 5th passage (3/9) and did alright on the rest and ended up with a total of 10 wrong. If anyone has the exam, the passage I'm specifically referring to is the picasso one. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any tips on how you were able to deal with it?

Thanks!
I remember that passage from when I was prepping for the MCAT back in my day (is it the one where he comments about Gertrude Stein's portrait?)

Don't worry about this passage in particular, you will never see it again. Rather, focus on what made it difficult for you. Was it the passage, the questions? If it was the passage, was it the vocabulary, tone, use of abstract language?

You mention that you always "bomb" one CARS passage. Go back and analyze the passages where this happened. Is there any pattern to them among the properties I mentioned above? The sooner you can diagnose the problem the sooner you can devise a strategy for treating it.

In general, when reading abstract or difficult passages, do not struggle to understand every last word. Look for clues that can give you insight into the arguments or opinions being presented, that is what the AAMC tends to test most often.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users