I am 31 years old and live in my parents' basement. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OperatingThetan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 31 years old, unemployed, and live in my parents' basement. What are my chances of being accepted into pharmacy college?

My science GPA is 3.7, non-science 3.3, and have not yet taken the PCAT. I have no volunteering, extra-curricular or leadership experience.

What motivates me to become a pharmacist? For one, a long time interest in healthcare and science. But most importantly, pure fear that I will live in my parents' basement until I'm 40.

Members don't see this ad.

is this a serious post?

your GPA is better then me....that should make you feel whole lot better

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 31 years old, unemployed, and live in my parents' basement. What are my chances of being accepted into pharmacy college?

My science GPA is 3.7, non-science 3.3, and have not yet taken the PCAT. I have no volunteering, extra-curricular or leadership experience.

What motivates me to become a pharmacist? For one, a long time interest in healthcare and science. But most importantly, pure fear that I will live in my parents' basement until I'm 40.

good luck, whatever you do always try your best and never give up. It is never too late to pursue your dreams.

Last edited:
If this really is serious, I'd say go for it. Make sure you check with the pharmacy schools to make sure you don't have to retake any courses since materials change quite often, particularly in Biology. Unless you are certain you can do well on the PCATs without studying, I'd prepare for those as well.

Don't listen to all those rude comments. You are in a very good shape. What you need to do is that you need to get out there and start volunteering and getting more pharmacy experience.

What kind of PCAT do you think I'll need to make up for my misgivings? As far as finding employment as a pharm tech, that won't happen. My resume is a disaster. I have no references, or stable work history.

That depends on how the school weights PCAT over GPA. Just do some preparation, read up on some material, practice your math, and most importantly, practice your testing speed because you want to at least get a shot at all the questions before time runs out.

More importantly, depending on how long you have been out of school, you really need to make sure if the schools will accept credit for all of your prerequisites before you fully commit to applying.

What kind of PCAT do you think I'll need to make up for my misgivings? As far as finding employment as a pharm tech, that won't happen. My resume is a disaster. I have no references, or stable work history.

Well, any PCAT comp score above 85 should be good.
There are many reasons that people in their 30s live in their parents' basement. Health, financial, etc? Perhaps you can mention your hardship in the application
Just find a job so you have a somewhat employment history
Volunteer at your local hospital. Pharmacy dept would be best, but if you can't then any volunteer work should help with your application
Good luck! :luck:

Go for it!,but be convinced that you will get there.I entered pharmacy school being 34 and having a family.Familiarize yourself with the school you want to go to.As far as getting a job as a tech;it will help you.
Good luck!

what you should do :
first, take the pharmacy technician exam ,
try to get a job at a retail drug store, while you are unemployed, you have plenty of time to go online, check yellow pages, call every single retail drug store, speak with the pharmacy manager, ( that what I did last year, and now I work for Longs as a pharmacy technician :) )

working in pharmacy will provide you with a lot of great experiences and knowledge for the interview.
Second, try to study for the PCAT,

It is totally depending on how motivated you are to become a pharmacist,
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to come up with a more positive way to sell yourself. Right now you are focusing on the negatives. Get rid of the unemployed 31 year old living in your parent's basement line. You are an ambitious 31 who finally found your passion in life. It doesn't have to be that but just make it positive.

I think you can recover from your spotty work history. You can talk about how you matured and finally decided to get serious with your life in your personal statement. You will need to volunteer or get some kind of job that shows that you are responsible though.

Unlike what some clowns are saying, don't move out of your parents basement just yet. This might provide some stability. My uncle didn't move out of his parents house until he was 33, around the time when he started making $200-300K/year. Then he bought a huge house, invited his parents(my grandparents) to live in the house for free.
First, get a job in a pharmacy and try some volunteering. Don't take the pharmacy technician exam until about 6 months on the job. The PCAT is a borderline joke of a test, if you remember your sciences, you should do well, it is just the non-science parts of the exam that are killer.

The only thing I don't like about living with my family is that I gotta be home by a certain time, which SUCKS even though I'm 21.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the 31-year old part, seeing as I have not hit that august milestone yet, but living in your parent's basement is pretty sweet, all things considered.

Kinda wish I still did. :\

I have interviewed at top ranked pharmacy schools and noticed that they prefer younger students.

However, I have also interviewed at unaccredited schools and noticed that there were a lot of older students there. Being unaccredited just means they are they are in process of obtaining accreditation in the next four years.

I can't speak for the 31-year old part, seeing as I have not hit that august milestone yet, but living in your parent's basement is pretty sweet, all things considered.

Kinda wish I still did. :\

Goodluck bringing girls home living in your parents basement, though.

uhhhh...try not to mention the basement thing in your interviews

Being accepted to pharmacy school by possessing good stats is one thing, but obtaining and holding down a job as a pharmacist in the real world is another. Considering your age and that you still live with your parents, the fact that you do not have a stable work history nor do you have a person that you feel is willing to comment positively on your behalf as a reference speaks volumes to me about the type of person that you probably are. Not only that, but you have no volunteer experience, leadership experience, or extra curricular organizations to cite involvement with at 31 years of age? I don't know about everyone else, but the LAST person I would want to be my personal pharmacist is some unsociable, freeloading -- you get my point.

I'm sorry about the rant, and I apologize if I have caused you any emotional distress, but please, get real.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with living at home with your parents but try to promote yourself and get out of the basement.

As for pharmacy school, I think you should go for it. Get some experiences, take your PCAT, and get LOR. There is nothing wrong pursuing your goals at a later stage in life. Good luck!

Also,
Dont go into pharmacy just because you can't/didnt make it into medicine and medicine is your first goal. Do something because you truly enjoy it, if you can commit to it, and not because it is a back-up or because people tell you to. You have to do some very deep soul searching in the next couple of days and decide if this is the right career path for you.

If you really do want to become a pharmacist and you believe you can handle the tough 4 or more years ahead, follow your dreams. No one here is holding you back. I would recommend volunteering either in the community or at the hospital and try to volunteer or work in the pharmacy as well. When you have letters of recommendation, PCAT, a good personal statement, and college transcripts with all required pre-reqs, you will be ready to apply.

Only you can make your dreams come true, so keep at it and dont give up.

Good luck and God bless the US of A!

Last edited:
Well you have some good and bad qualities. You seriously have to go out and get job experience, do some community service.

I am 31 years old, unemployed, and live in my parents' basement. What are my chances of being accepted into pharmacy college?.

Apply to an online pharmacy school like Creighton University and you will rarely have to leave the basement.

Ignore anything of the negative posts on here. I think if you do some volunteer time at a pharmacy, you will be just fine. BTW, you have great stats and should be fine with your PCAT. PS: Don't tell anyone that you have been unemployed and living in your parents basement--it will make you look unstable--take it from me, I know--I know people in your same situation. Just cover your butt. I wish you the best of luck and think that you can make it :)

Going from being what sounds like a bum at your parents house to going full time to pharmacy school sounds like a big leap. Try baby steps first. I say get involved with something. People always want volunteers. Are you a World of Warcraft player? I bet you are! Don't be afraid to put your level of wizard mastery on your resume! :D

Being accepted to pharmacy school by possessing good stats is one thing, but obtaining and holding down a job as a pharmacist in the real world is another. Considering your age and that you still live with your parents, the fact that you do not have a stable work history nor do you have a person that you feel is willing to comment positively on your behalf as a reference speaks volumes to me about the type of person that you probably are. Not only that, but you have no volunteer experience, leadership experience, or extra curricular organizations to cite involvement with at 31 years of age? I don't know about everyone else, but the LAST person I would want to be my personal pharmacist is some unsociable, freeloading -- you get my point.

I'm sorry about the rant, and I apologize if I have caused you any emotional distress, but please, get real.
That was a really mean and heartless thing to say to someone.

sometimes you have to roll with the punches. If life treats you unfairly, get right back up, turn the other cheek and ask for another.

People can make their judgments but you should not let yourself feel down by their opinions. You have to prove them wrong by staying strong, pulling your self together, and never giving up on your dreams.

Criticism can be hard to stomach, but people do have good intentions, really. They want you to succeed but what comes out their mouths seems hurtful. Dont blame them. Sometimes thats the only way they know how to express their love, and criticizing or talking back to them wont help the situation out one bit.

again Best of luck and hang in there!

This guy is definitely trolling

Or you can be like me and be a world class bull****ter!!! Find ways to turn negatives into positives. But for real...unemployed at 31, hope you got laid off and are not just lazy. Your gonna have to be a good bull****ter to explain the gaps in schooling and your work history.

Are you a World of Warcraft player? I bet you are! Don't be afraid to put your level of wizard mastery on your resume! :D

I honestly considered at one point that being an officer in a big-time guild could be something worth mentioning.

But I'm not an officer. I'm not in a big-time guild, either. ):

Or you can be like me and be a world class bull****ter!!! Find ways to turn negatives into positives. But for real...unemployed at 31, hope you got laid off and are not just lazy. Your gonna have to be a good bull****ter to explain the gaps in schooling and your work history.
I totally agree with you on that :)

hey man,
I wasnt meaning to upset or offend. If you guys wanna play like that thats up to you. I'm gonna stay out of it.
thanks,

Did you think that we were calling you a troll? We were referring to the person who created this thread.

Does being a leader of a Counter-Strike clan count as an EC? We were CAL-M!

LOL

Than I got more experience than you do! Played CALpremier/placements few seasons ago.

Apply to an online pharmacy school like Creighton University and you will rarely have to leave the basement.

Do you know anything about Creighton's distance program? It is VERY competitive and, as someone that's trying VERY hard to get accepted, I'm not sure I really appreciate your post. Creighton's distance students receive the same education as the campus students and no, we cannot live in our basements to get it.

Do you know anything about Creighton's distance program? It is VERY competitive and, as someone that's trying VERY hard to get accepted, I'm not sure I really appreciate your post. Creighton's distance students receive the same education as the campus students and no, we cannot live in our basements to get it.

Didactically, you may receive the same education. However, the social/networking aspect of pharmacy school can't be underestimated. There is absolutely no way to get that portion from a webinar.

Unfortunate, but true.

I dont know if this is a serious topic or not so im just going to lol

Haha, Krys, it was a funny joke. It wasn't a joke about the QUALITY of the education of Creighton's non-traditional program, but because he simply really didn't have to leave the basement much lol. Creigthon's distant program is as good as it's traditional program.

Going from being what sounds like a bum at your parents house to going full time to pharmacy school sounds like a big leap. Try baby steps first. I say get involved with something. People always want volunteers. Are you a World of Warcraft player? I bet you are! Don't be afraid to put your level of wizard mastery on your resume! :D

I play WoW. This game is just too fun :oops:

I promised myself I'd quit though....once I start attending USC this fall.

That was a really mean and heartless thing to say to someone.

Oh please. Get over yourself and come into the real world. It's not all peaches and cream. It was not a heartless thing to say, it was a realistic thing. This forum is supposed to be about honestly, not kissing peoples asses to make them feel better. If placation is what you want, become a preschool teacher.

I really can't believe that this post is still active

seriously....I'd put money down this isn't real. He posted on here twice. Everyone on here are chumps for getting trolled by this guy