I am a Canadian medical school student, will do residency in Canada. Do I need to write the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prosoccer99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching the process to work in the USA. I read online that 44 states treat Canadian medical schools/LMCC/residencies as equivalent to American medical schools/USMLE/residencies. But, I have heard from many other medical students that to work in the USA you should write the USMLE anyway (even if you want to work in those 44 states). I think this is due to the ease of securing a work visa-- the federal government does not recognize our version of the USMLE, but the state governments do?

Hypothetical scenario: I do my medical school in Canada and then complete my residency (rads onc). Could I then waltz over to America in any of those 44 states and work? Basically, if I do all of my training in Canada, and then decide I want to work in one of those 44 states, is it heavily advised to still write the USMLE? Or do many doctors just write a state licensing exam of some sort and set up their practice?

Finally, say I want to write the USMLE, if I just need to pass, can I write it as many times as I want? The states do not care, and if it is only for the federal government who wants it for VISA purposes... If that is the case, how much time would one have to study to just bare minimally pass?

Members don't see this ad.

The issue is that rules might change and oftentimes some places don't know the rules perfectly. It probably makes you an easier hire just having your American credentials. You can write it again if you fail, but I believe that shows up that you failed on your record. Whether or not that matters for employment or fellowship i'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user