I am a DAT noob. Need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to get DAT destroyer? I heard the questions are too difficult compared to the actual exam.

This is what I am going to get:
Chad's videos
Crack DAT PAT
Cliff's AP bio
Math destroyer

are those enough?

I also plan on taking the DAT early September. I have gotten my dentpin but I haven't registered for the test yet. When should I do this? Should I bother paying $325 now? Sorry but I have no clue about this.

any other advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your chemistry background but so many have succeeded using DAT destroyer. I did very bad in my first DAT but only positive point was I was able to get 20 in GC because I went over twice in Destroyer and other sections I did not bother to take seriously in destroyer.

The destroyer is a very good resource. Especially for Ochem. I feel the general chem is quite a bit harder than the actual DAT and it just frustrated me trying to attempt the question but instead just read through explanations

i think that the DAT destroyer is very important. it helped me realize that i missed alot of things conceptually and lets you view problems in different ways.. i think its very important for OC and GC.. as for bio.. thats a whole different story lol

the material you listed is basically what im using, i would throw in achiever or topscore for practice exams

Members don't see this ad :)
i think that the DAT destroyer is very important. it helped me realize that i missed alot of things conceptually and lets you view problems in different ways.. i think its very important for OC and GC.. as for bio.. thats a whole different story lol

the material you listed is basically what im using, i would throw in achiever or topscore for practice exams

Is destroyer too easy for bio? Or just not relevant?

Is destroyer too easy for bio? Or just not relevant?

honestly I feel like bio is so random that its either hit or miss. doing the bio part on destroyer will question you basically on anything, so you either know it or you dont. i rather spend my time reading campbells and cliffs bio imo. the solutions to the questions on destroyer do provide you with some facts about the question and answers which could be helpful if u are asked about it on the DAT

The destroyer is a very good resource. Especially for Ochem. I feel the general chem is quite a bit harder than the actual DAT and it just frustrated me trying to attempt the question but instead just read through explanations

i see many people say this about the GC - are you guys mostly referring to the calculation questions? is it the calculating part that is too much or just trying to figure out how to solve the calculation questions?

i think whatever you listed is great enough to score decent.
but you need to buy practice tests such as topscore and achiever later too
and if you do not have a strong science background or do not know how the DAT exam is like
i recommend getting kaplan bluebook and start off by reading it once to see what DAT wants

i used kaplan to start, but i just moved onto Chad
Chad is so helpful for GC and OC
and read cliffs several times since there are so much information
and get alan's notes online(just search in this forum) and add your own important things from cliffs after you already read several times.
then do destroyer multiple times!

i see many people say this about the GC - are you guys mostly referring to the calculation questions? is it the calculating part that is too much or just trying to figure out how to solve the calculation questions?

I just felt it was above and beyond anything I saw on the DAT. Now that doesnt mean its not worth going over. If you get that material down, you will dominate the GC on the DAT. I'd say its the figuring it out that I had trouble with. Also, not sure if I would agree that the biology part isn't worth it. I found the bio portion can provide you with some key details that may or may not be seen on the test. I feel it would be advantageous to go over each of those sections. What I did with the destroyer from the start was attempt the questions in order in the same style I would on the DAT (40 bio, 30 for each chem) and score myself. Then after that I would decide what part I wanted to go over and use a computer program to randomize 40 numbers anywhere from 1 to however many there was for that section and then do those problems. I did that over and over again up until test day.

I just felt it was above and beyond anything I saw on the DAT. Now that doesnt mean its not worth going over. If you get that material down, you will dominate the GC on the DAT. I'd say its the figuring it out that I had trouble with. Also, not sure if I would agree that the biology part isn't worth it. I found the bio portion can provide you with some key details that may or may not be seen on the test. I feel it would be advantageous to go over each of those sections. What I did with the destroyer from the start was attempt the questions in order in the same style I would on the DAT (40 bio, 30 for each chem) and score myself. Then after that I would decide what part I wanted to go over and use a computer program to randomize 40 numbers anywhere from 1 to however many there was for that section and then do those problems. I did that over and over again up until test day.

did you feel like you came across hard stretches and easy stretches through that process? lol idk if i did or if i was just more comfortable with a certain round of material....id get 65% right one day and then 90% the next (on my 2nd run thru lol def not my 1st)

and yeah im def going to keep using Destroyer for all 4 subjects it has actually...but it still takes me a second to figure out what calculation I have to do when doing the calculation problems, even though ive seen them already! is the DAT more straightforward with the calculation problems?

Is it really necessary to get DAT destroyer? I heard the questions are too difficult compared to the actual exam.

This is what I am going to get:
Chad's videos
Crack DAT PAT
Cliff's AP bio
Math destroyer

are those enough?

I wouldn't say "too" difficult, more like "from more to a lot more" difficult........ :rolleyes:

Depends on what score you want..... If you want to crack into the 20s I guess it could be done without destroyer but you would definitely need at least Topscore...... (I don't know if I would advise getting Achiever if the perceived problem with Destroyer is that it is too hard, because Achiever GC will be worse)

That said, I bet if you combed this year and last year's DAT thread, 99% of people with 22+ scores all used Destroyer (more so for GC & OC than anything else), spoke very highly of it, and listed it key in their success