I am a NY resident moving to Texas. When will I be considered a Texas resident for TMDSAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khc2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question about establishing Texas residency for TMDSAS. I have lived in NYC for my entire life, but I will be moving to Austin with my partner in June. He served at Fort Bliss for a year, and we both decided that we wanted to live in Texas long-term.

I am planning to work full-time for 12+ months to fulfill the residency requirement. Since the application deadline is October 1, will I be considered a resident for the May 2022 cycle? Or would I have to work the 12 months prior to October 1, 2022 to be considered a resident for the 2023 application cycle instead?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

• Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and
  • Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, as evidenced by:
  • Gainful Employment in Texas - Gainful employment is employment intended to provide an income to a person or allow a person to avoid the expense of paying another person to perform the tasks (as in child care) that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual’s tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week. A person who is self-employed, employed as a homemaker or who is living off his/her earnings may be considered gainfully employed for tuition purposes, as may a person whose primary support is public assistance. Employment conditioned on student status, such as work study, the receipt of stipends, fellowships, or research or teaching assistantships does not constitute gainful employment.
  • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
  • Own and operate a business in Texas
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for your reply. I was confused about the October 1 deadline. Will I be considered a resident in May 2022, the time of application, if I start working in June 2021 and continue through October 1, 2022?

Yes you will. I was considered a resident even though I only worked here for around 8 months. That was because by the time the next school year started I would’ve have completed the one year.

@wysdoc can help more

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you will. I was considered a resident even though I only worked here for around 8 months. That was because by the time the next school year started I would’ve have completed the one year.

@wysdoc can help more
Correct, move to TX to live and work so that you will have been there for more than a year by October 1 of the year you are applying.

Reactions: 1 user