I am a pre-med because my mom and dad want me to be one? Seen it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have two options given to me by mom and dad

doc or pharm.....they are considering dent.

Oh, thank god! How nice! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My father told me I could be any type of ophthalmologist I want.

JK....well, sort of

Members don't see this ad :)
Never met one, but they generally just end up doing bad in pre-reqs and change career plan. Like most normal incoming pre-meds
This pretty much sums it up.

I saw a lot of pre-meds freshman year. Fast forward one more year and there's probably about a quarter of us left. Of the pre-meds I know now, most are very hard working and have a certain drive that I think one can only get from doing something that they themselves want to do.

I'm glad my parents have been supportive of most of the things I do. Though I did get asked if I wanted to be a doctor or engineer in high school (no joke :p), they're supportive of anything I want to do, so long as it's a field that can support me.
Unfortunately club DJ and rockstar are going to have to wait. xD

Last edited:
I can't blame parents for doing stuff like this, actually. I feel like when I have kids I'd want them to have good jobs as well. I wouldn't push them to doing something they hate, but I would encourage them to think big :smuggrin:

I think what it comes down to is that, the parents enforces those things on their kids because they felt like they never had the opportunity to pursue those things.

They don't realize how much pressure they are putting on their kids, they feel it's the best thing for their kids.

I think having an open communication with each other about this subject is the best.

Any parents wants the best for their kids. But there's that fine line between giving advice and using them as puppets to accomplish things you never had the chance at.

But you also have to consider the actual cost of the education. Majoring in what you really want in is all nice and stuff, but the tuition is not exactly free, unless of course you have a full scholarship, then by all means go on to Harvard and major in drawing. I am pretty sure for most parents, they rather have their kids actually major in something profitable, then see thousands of dollars in tuition going down just because they majored in something they actually enjoy, but not something that actually guarantees a profitable career.

Basically, college isn't free and it might be too expensive to major in what you might actually want to in.

I am curious though, what usually ends up happening to kids who are pre-meds because their parents force them to be? What has been your experience with this?

They switched majors and are now at law school.

But you also have to consider the actual cost of the education. Majoring in what you really want in is all nice and stuff, but the tuition is not exactly free, unless of course you have a full scholarship, then by all means go on to Harvard and major in drawing. I am pretty sure for most parents, they rather have their kids actually major in something profitable, then see thousands of dollars in tuition going down just because they majored in something they actually enjoy, but not something that actually guarantees a profitable career.

Basically, college isn't free and it might be too expensive to major in what you might actually want to in.

exactly. I will never understand why some people major in the most unemployable fields that ultimately require grad school. (biology - lol)

I've heard of a couple of kids being forced into that situation and I guess they either forced themselves to enjoy it or did legitly end up enjoying it, but they're doing fine in residency now.

I think what it comes down to is that, the parents enforces those things on their kids because they felt like they never had the opportunity to pursue those things.

They don't realize how much pressure they are putting on their kids, they feel it's the best thing for their kids.

I think having an open communication with each other about this subject is the best.

Any parents wants the best for their kids. But there's that fine line between giving advice and using them as puppets to accomplish things you never had the chance at.

Ya, and they end up ruining the kid's childhood unfortunately.