I am About to Give up Becoming a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella Swan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the first post, I posted on SDN some weeks ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=874534

As the cycle is just about done, I have given up on this year. I am struggling on what to do for next year. My parents are even telling me to give up on medical school and look into nursing, dentistry, or pharmacy. My heart is broken.

3.97+ (after I graduate my GPA may be a tad higher)
29 (10, 8, 11)
Cell Publication, multiple awards, 1000+ hours of patient contact, 5 years of research, extensive leadership, high position in student gov., and I promise I am a genuinely good hearted individual :oops:
My undergrad is in the US News top 20
AMCAS submitted in September, complete mid October everywhere

I am trying hopelessly to increase my verbal score. I have a slight reading disability, so this is a very large mountain I am trying to overcome. I know a retake is necessary, but I am so scared my sciences will fall too. This test has defeated me on so many levels. I have taken it multiple times, I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Schools I applied to and have been rejected by almost all at this point without interview:

Boston U
Brown
Dartmouth
Case & Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
UPitt
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
UCSF
Stanford
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins
State School 1
State School 2

There are multiple state schools in my state, but I only applied to two of them. Both have around a 31 average. I was told by an adcomm at one of the two state schools that my MCAT was essentially horrendous and I needed to retake it.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school list is very top heavy. You need to apply to more safety schools next year. Please read my MDapp and I think it will help you a lot. You definitely deserve to be in medical school. You worked very hard in undergrad and have one of the best GPAs. Your MCAT score is not bad at all and should be enough to land you a MD acceptance. However, you have to play your cards right by applying to the right schools. Good luck and please don't give up hope!

Get a job next year, retake the MCAT, get someone to proofread your PS and secondaries, apply to realistic schools. Don't feel sorry for yourself, you shouldn't be satisfied until you get where you want to be. Don't look on what could have been. Your school list doomed you, your only realistic shots were at your state school with your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possible schools to add next year:-

Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
VCU
SLU
Drexel
Creighton
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
TCMC

Don't give up. Just don't apply so top-heavy (you're list is waaaayyyy too top-heavy). Apply to schools for which your MCAT is much closer to the average.

Seriously, whoever told you to apply to those schools is obviously a gunner.

Don't give up. Just don't apply so top-heavy (you're list is waaaayyyy too top-heavy). Apply to schools for which your MCAT is much closer to the average.

IMO, except for that MCAT score, the OP's applications definitely can get her into the schools she applied to. But yes, the MCAT score is holding her back.

I say retake the MCAT and hopefully with at least a 10 in VR and higher on the other sections, you can apply again. There is the stigma associated with a re-applicant but with your GPA and EC's you will be able to overcome it (provided you improve your MCAT by 2-3 points at least). I suggest applying broadly anyways.

I really want to know who the idiot was that told you to apply to those schools with a 29. Unless you're URM applying to those schools is such a waste. If you had applied to mid tier schools you would have easily been accepted. What a waste of money!!

Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
VCU
SLU
Drexel
Creighton
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
TCMC

+1 other than TCMC, they are very location biased.

IMO, except for that MCAT score, the OP's applications definitely can get her into the schools she applied to. But yes, the MCAT score is holding her back.

I say retake the MCAT and hopefully with at least a 10 in VR and higher on the other sections, you can apply again. There is the stigma associated with a re-applicant but with your GPA and EC's you will be able to overcome it (provided you improve your MCAT by 2-3 points at least). I suggest applying broadly anyways.

Of course she could get into those schools with even a 32+

I really want to know who the idiot was that told you to apply to those schools with a 29. Unless you're URM applying to those schools is such a waste. If you had applied to mid tier schools you would have easily been accepted. What a waste of money!!

My advisor (whom is very thorough and has been at my university for 20+ years) told me that I should have no trouble at all attaining an acceptance from at least one of my state schools. I could go ahead and apply to a couple in states and let the rest be reaches. He told me the rest of my application was solid enough to compensate for the Verbal score, and that he had seen numerous students from my school get into all types of medical schools with similar MCATs and balanced applications. I thought he was right at the time. I messed up. He has since applogized and tried to help me by contacting some of the schools, but it did not work. I didn't use my judgement because frankly I didn't fully understand medical school admissions and thought the process was more holistic. I understand that I cost my parents a lot of money they don't have and have put myself in a mess I am not able to get out of.

Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
VCU
SLU
Drexel
Creighton
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
TCMC

Thank you. I may have to take out a loan to apply for next year, but I will be sure to add in some of these schools for next year. I hope my MCAT retake goes well though, as my 29 may not be enough for the majority of these schools anyway (given what an adcomm told me recently).

Thank you. I may have to take out a loan to apply for next year, but I will be sure to add in some of these schools for next year. I hope my MCAT retake goes well though, as my 29 may not be enough for the majority of these schools anyway (given what an adcomm told me recently).

A 29 is enough for the schools I listed so try your very best to add all of them. I happened to get accepted to a couple of them with a 29 and a very low GPA. Unless you have a red flag you should have no problem.

Your list is top-heavy as hell. Especially with that low MCAT in regards to the school list chosen. Retake and reapply next year.
You will def get an interview at these top schools if you can get around a 34+ on the MCAT. EC's are way above average.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advisor (whom is very thorough and has been at my university for 20+ years) told me that I should have no trouble at all attaining an acceptance from at least one of my state schools. I could go ahead and apply to a couple in states and let the rest be reaches. He told me the rest of my application was solid enough to compensate for the Verbal score, and that he had seen numerous students from my school get into all types of medical schools with similar MCATs and balanced applications. I thought he was right at the time.

My experience: never listen to pre-med advisor. Just ask questions on this forum. also, one part of your application cannot be compensated by the rest of your app.

You need to reconsider all of the schools you are applying to because that list is a huge reach with 29 MCAT.

As the cycle is just about done, I have given up on this year. I am struggling on what to do for next year. My parents are even telling me to give up on medical school and look into nursing, dentistry, or pharmacy. My heart is broken.

29 (10, 8, 11)
Cell Publication, multiple awards, 1000+ hours of patient contact, 5 years of research, extensive leadership, high position in student gov., and I promise I am a genuinely good hearted individual :oops:

I am trying hopelessly to increase my verbal score. I have a slight reading disability, so this is a very large mountain I am trying to overcome. I know a retake is necessary, but I am so scared my sciences will fall too. This test has defeated me on so many levels. I have taken it multiple times, I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Schools I applied to and have been rejected by almost all at this point without interview:

Boston U
Brown
Dartmouth
Case & Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
UPitt
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
UCSF
Stanford
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins
State School 1
State School 2

There are multiple state schools in my state, but I only applied to two of them. Both have around a 31 average. I was told by an adcomm at one of the two state schools that my MCAT was essentially horrendous and I needed to retake it.

Guess you just suck. Welcome to the club.

Jeeze, you're an automatic accept at ANY DO school!

29 (10, 8, 11)

Boston U
Brown
Dartmouth
Case & Cleveland Clinic
Mayo
UPitt
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
UCSF
Stanford
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins
State School 1
State School 2

in addition to your incredibly top-heavy school choice this was your second fatal mistake. primary app in september?! knowing that your MCAT was below average at every single school you applied to you should have tried to get your app in on day 1...schools might've been more likely to invite you for an interview based on your ECs early in the season but by mid-october schools have either already lined up interviews through december or filled half their class. There was no way they were going to give someone with such a low MCAT a shot when they had multiple candidates with a better score infront of them.

...live and learn i guess. i think you should give the MCAT another shot and have a more realistic school list. first of all apply to all of your state schools! second pick mid-tier private schools and unless you get a 34+ on the MCAT you should eliminate all but 5 of the reach schools.

If you are willing to give up on medicine for one year of rejections, you should choose another career.

Rosalind Franklin
EVMS
VCU
SLU
Drexel
Creighton
MCW
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
TCMC

Add Albany Medical College to this list.

Furthermore, have you considered DO schools as Goro suggested. A doctor is a doctor whether Allo or Osteo

Add Albany Medical College to this list.

Furthermore, have you considered DO schools as Goro suggested. A doctor is a doctor whether Allo or Osteo
You think someone that applied that top heavy despite reasonable bounds would ever consider something like Osteopathic Medicine? Please.

You think someone that applied that top heavy despite reasonable bounds would ever consider something like Osteopathic Medicine? Please.

Let's not be too judgmental. OP stated that she applied to those schools mainly on the guidance of the prehealth advisor and she herself knew very little about the process. Based on that your assumption is a little too harsh and unnecessary .

My advisor (whom is very thorough and has been at my university for 20+ years) told me that I should have no trouble at all attaining an acceptance from at least one of my state schools. I could go ahead and apply to a couple in states and let the rest be reaches. He told me the rest of my application was solid enough to compensate for the Verbal score, and that he had seen numerous students from my school get into all types of medical schools with similar MCATs and balanced applications. I thought he was right at the time. I messed up. He has since applogized and tried to help me by contacting some of the schools, but it did not work. I didn't use my judgement because frankly I didn't fully understand medical school admissions and thought the process was more holistic. I understand that I cost my parents a lot of money they don't have and have put myself in a mess I am not able to get out of.

It's "who" - now your verbal score makes sense. ;)

But seriously, you're a good candidate and better luck next time.

Absolutely Terrible School List. You also applied late. Submit your primary in early June and have all your secondaries completely by Mid-August. MCAT retake is also a good idea.

He told me the rest of my application was solid enough to compensate for the Verbal score, and that he had seen numerous students from my school get into all types of medical schools with similar MCATs and balanced applications. I thought he was right at the time. I messed up. He has since applogized and tried to help me by contacting some of the schools, but it did not work. I didn't use my judgement because frankly I didn't fully understand medical school admissions and thought the process was more holistic. I understand that I cost my parents a lot of money they don't have and have put myself in a mess I am not able to get out of.

I'm somewhat surprised by the state school adcom's "horrendous" comment, with a 31 average they've got to have some 29 MCAT students there..

Apart from that, I don't have much to add beyond what others have already said. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck next year OP if this cycle doesn't work out. I'm not normally one to say this, but don't give up! And retake the MCAT when you're consistently scoring higher on practice tests.

Let's not be too judgmental. OP stated that she applied to those schools mainly on the guidance of the prehealth advisor and she herself knew very little about the process. Based on that your assumption is a little too harsh and unnecessary .
Have you seen her stats? I don't think anybody accumulates that much of everything with great success and at the same time jumps obliviously into applying to medical school because of some health advisor.

OP-
Find a research job that pays something, retake the MCAT, and apply earlier. I would suggest not applying this cycle and devoting your time to the MCAT. It sucks, but you will only be two years older. If you didn't take Princeton/Kaplan, take one (there are numerous threads on which one is better). With a mid-30's MCAT (which you are capable of jugding by your other test scores and your college performance) you can get into a good school. Keep in mind this was an absolutely brutal cycle, with a record number of applicants. Applying early (this is why I suggest you wait a year, it's too late to retake the MCAT and apply early) will help mitigate the large number of applicants. It's the one thing you can do that is really easy and makes a difference. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Shakespeare, the OP is probably never going to read your comment...

really? Your pre-med advisor told you to do that? You really should have done some research yourself.

That wouldn't be my list and I have a 3.7/37.

OP-
Find a research job that pays something, retake the MCAT, and apply earlier. I would suggest not applying this cycle and devoting your time to the MCAT. It sucks, but you will only be two years older. If you didn't take Princeton/Kaplan, take one (there are numerous threads on which one is better). With a mid-30's MCAT (which you are capable of jugding by your other test scores and your college performance) you can get into a good school. Keep in mind this was an absolutely brutal cycle, with a record number of applicants. Applying early (this is why I suggest you wait a year, it's too late to retake the MCAT and apply early) will help mitigate the large number of applicants. It's the one thing you can do that is really easy and makes a difference. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

This is good advice. If you are retaking the mcat, it's now May and is probably too late to study enough to get an mcat score in the 30s to apply early/by the summer given that your base is 29 after a few shots at the mcat. Does your study methods need an overhaul? With application strategy, I'd like to add that while others have suggested VCU, Drexel, Rosalind Franklin etc as being in the ball park for a 29 or low 30s mcat (and they are), these schools have a high # of applicants so I wouldn't consider them safe bets. Perhaps research more programs/check their stats/look at linkage programs.

$20k in the bank & ivy league education is far from homelessness. Such suggestion is melodramatic, distracting from what you need to do. You've experienced a minor set back in a student's life; that's it. Also, kudos on the gpa & publications but be real, your publications won't get the prospective med school to rake in millions in research funding and there's a discrepancy b/w your GPA and mcat score. You need more clinical exposure to see what others/patients are going through; it will save you a lot of time spent on self pity. One year out will do you good. Good luck.

I kinda agree with this. The OP seems a little eliteist to me. 29 MCAT for Harvard? Im guessing your friends got into these kinds of schools so you think you are entitled to them too? Idk.

I am about to give up becoming a doctor

If you are only willing to go to a top-tier school, then maybe you should.

Otherwise, quit being so whiny, apply smarter next time, and enjoy going somewhere that may not have as much clout, but will make you a physician just the same.

Your problem isn't that you have a bad application. It's that you applied like an idiot. Do some research. Don't take the MCAT again, and don't apply to ivy league schools.

This is a place to give advice. Not insult others. Please remember that, posters.

It's not horrendous, the GPA makes it look better :D

I was told by an adcomm at one of the two state schools that my MCAT was essentially horrendous and I needed to retake it.

I just read this gem of a statement. So you didn't apply to schools with a 31 as your average, but you filled your app with schools that have a 34-37 as their average?

Morsetlis said:
It's not horrendous, the GPA makes it look better

I'm not so sure about that. I've talked with student adcoms from Northwestern and they said that a high GPA and low MCAT is a huge red flag for them.