I am already accepted to SUNY but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having some crazy second thoughts...

I am really not down with the weather here in New York, these cold winters get me depressed and stressed out.

I am thinking of applying to NOVA because it too is a good school, the weather is beautiful all year round, and the living conditions are much more chilled out then a crazyyy busy NYC.

I've been in NYC my whole life and I think I want a change.

I can still apply to NOVA and I know I will get in because my application is pretty amazing.

Can anyone offer any input? I'm pretty confused about the situation:confused:

Thanks,
Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Im sure you application is awesome, but its really really late and the class is like 3/4 full right now...but I can definately relate to you. I think SUNY was my first choice when I first became interested in Optometry..but then when I went there I hated the city..(Im from canada and new york was wayyyy too overwhelming for me). When I went for my interview at NOVA, I felt way more at home. Everything is really laid back and chill..the weather was amazing in November, people were surfing..lol it really was like a dream come true!!! If you are having serious doubts, I would apply and see if you get called for an interview because checking out another school and seeing how you fit there, would ease your mind.

I am having some crazy second thoughts...

I am really not down with the weather here in New York, these cold winters get me depressed and stressed out.

I am thinking of applying to NOVA because it too is a good school, the weather is beautiful all year round, and the living conditions are much more chilled out then a crazyyy busy NYC.

I've been in NYC my whole life and I think I want a change.

I can still apply to NOVA and I know I will get in because my application is pretty amazing.

Can anyone offer any input? I'm pretty confused about the situation:confused:

Thanks,
Matt

You are crazy....

Take the in state tuition, get a good education and if you want to get out of the cold, either do a residency in Florida or California and/or take the Florida boards when you're done. I would take SUNY over NOVA ANY day of the week, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a SUNY graduate.

Trust me on this one....SUNY.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with KHE. Going to SUNY will be tons cheaper since you are already an in-state resident. NOVA does not allow you to claim residency with Florida after your first-year. You will be paying out-of-state tuition the rest of your time there, and their tuition tuition for non-Florida resident will be 22.8/year for your first year. SUNY's in-state tuition is 15.5K/year. Tuition alone over 4 years will save you 28K = less debt/more money you can use to periodically visit Florida for mini-vacations!

Drop an application now, decide later.

Sorry, when I posted my reply I didnt take the out of state tuition into account. Coming from Canada, I pay out of state tuition for all the schools. If I were you, I would stay in NY and save a ton of money. You might regret it later when you have a TON of loan money to pay off!

Drop an application now, decide later.

I would have to agree with this one. I gave up in state tuition at OSU for Pacific because I just felt better about the school after my interviews. Worse comes to worse you get an interview at NOVA, spend the money to go down there, and find out you like SUNY better anyway. Or you may you like NOVA better and decide to go there.

Either way you save yourself the what if question you would be asking yourself for four years.

i'm still waiting to hear from suny. i'm angry at myself for not doing more to improve my application. my grades and OATs were pretty decent but i could've done better in community service. i'm applying to two other schools this very minute. you've already been accepted. there's no harm in trying to get into other schools. all you have to lose is money.

(i've reserved a seat at NECO)

With KHE and others who go SUNY on this.

Even though im just a undergrad, your going to be near family for support, you've lived in NYC your whole life...whats 4 more? you get instate tuition, less loans and payback. you know how to get all the resources and dont have to look around the area if you need something last minute....

you cant go wrong with suny IMO, i think its best if you just graduated and then moved.

But i suppose still apply so you have no regrets.

I say why not apply and see what happens, then if you get in you can make a serious, educated decision. If you really want to go to school where it's warmer than why not...you only have one chance. Unless you plan on moving there anyway, you could either wait or try to go now. But I'd say be safe and really try to make your decision if you get in and like Nova better than go there.

I would have to agree with this one. I gave up in state tuition at OSU for Pacific because I just felt better about the school after my interviews. Worse comes to worse you get an interview at NOVA, spend the money to go down there, and find out you like SUNY better anyway. Or you may you like NOVA better and decide to go there.

Either way you save yourself the what if question you would be asking yourself for four years.
I am applying to OSU, if you do not mind could you please tell me how was the interview, and how long does it take to here from them that you are being accepted.

I am a 2nd year student at SUNY and I can honestly say that your concerns are valid.... it's almost always cold, wet and dirty here in the city, which can be VERY depressing. If this is not the lifestyle for you, I suggest you go elsewhere where you can be happier. IT IS 4 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND IT IN MISERY. Your happiness is what counts. I know I wish I went to another school with a better environment....

I am a 2nd year student at SUNY and I can honestly say that your concerns are valid.... it's almost always cold, wet and dirty here in the city, which can be VERY depressing. If this is not the lifestyle for you, I suggest you go elsewhere where you can be happier. IT IS 4 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND IT IN MISERY. Your happiness is what counts. I know I wish I went to another school with a better environment....

Smells fishy.

true, money may be an issue, but if you're going to graduate with an OD degree, i don't think it will be that hard to pay off your loans... may just take a few more years.

anyway, if i were you, i think I would apply to NOVA or even SCCO and try the new environment. If you've already spent your entire life in NYC and go to SUNY, you're probably going to end up working in NYC and staying there for the rest of your life... this may be your one chance at living somewhere else and trying something new!

i've pretty much lived my whole life in CA and I only applied to CA schools, but I like the sunny weather and I don't think I could do without it xP

I say why not apply and see what happens, then if you get in you can make a serious, educated decision. If you really want to go to school where it's warmer than why not...you only have one chance. Unless you plan on moving there anyway, you could either wait or try to go now. But I'd say be safe and really try to make your decision if you get in and like Nova better than go there.

true, money may be an issue, but if you're going to graduate with an OD degree, i don't think it will be that hard to pay off your loans... may just take a few more years.

anyway, if i were you, i think I would apply to NOVA or even SCCO and try the new environment. If you've already spent your entire life in NYC and go to SUNY, you're probably going to end up working in NYC and staying there for the rest of your life... this may be your one chance at living somewhere else and trying something new!

i've pretty much lived my whole life in CA and I only applied to CA schools, but I like the sunny weather and I don't think I could do without it xP

Haha,
Wow thank you all so much for the wonderful advice.

I am particularly liking the above comments which probably tells you which way I am leaning.

I submitted my application yesterday and I will hopefully hear from them soon and go for my interview.

I will spend the weekend in florida and see whats up, write a list of pros and cons and make a decision.

I am not going to just jump to conclusions though, I will def. make a serious/educated decision.

Thank you all for your input, very helpful.

:thumbup:

Florida?
New York?

I was in the exact same situation as you, however I was coming from Florida, going to SUNY. I found the clinic at SUNY amazing and it most definetly does have a better reputation. However, in the end I decided NOVA for this main reason:
The atmosphere at NOVA was much more friendly and uplifting. At SUNY I found the atmosphere to be dull and depressing and none of the students reached out to us prospective students while on the tour. In the end, where you go to school is where you will undoubtedly be spending the majority of your time and so you need to be happy with the people and the atmosphere, and academics is not the only thing to consider.