Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I am applying this year and what do you think my chances are

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Striderhiryu, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Striderhiryu

Striderhiryu Junior Member

I am a 18yr old 3rd year Bio sci major at a UC
    Gpa: 3.69
    MCAT: 11 13 10 T (considering retaking)
    Other: Fraternity, Medical Biller, Professional DJ, Kaplan teacher, o-chem tutor, Anesthisology Research, lots of volunteer service, and been published for papers in comparitive literature.

What do you think my chances of getting into the UC's are and do you have any advice on what to add to my apps before i apply.

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. isidella

7+ Year Member

CaNEM????

4. are u serious? what exactly do u think is wrong with ur application?
    i dont know if i am missing something, but u look/sound like a very competitive candidate unless i am missing something!

5. i think you have an excellent chance of getting in =D

the only thing they could complain about is your age though....
    someone correct me if i'm wrong...but they like applicants that are older...especially ucsf...i'm not sure though.

6. isidella

7+ Year Member

Is it just me , or is retaking with a 34 T asking for trouble?

7. Magu

Magu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm... are you urm? That may be help. Also have you thought about DO or maybe a foreign school. They look past the numbers, you may have a better chance there. You gotta take the MCATs over again, and that gpa come on. With UC's you need at least 3.9 & 35+.

8. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have never heard of anyone who got into med school let alone a UC with 3.69, 34T, and excellent and interesting ECs, just give up now!
    relax, you will get in, no need to change what you are doing

9. Curci

Curci The Master Chief
    7+ Year Member

Seriously, who retakes with a 34T? Now a 34P I would understand... :laugh:

You'll do fine. Just have more confidence in yourself! :rolleyes:

10. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Damn...

First one of my ex-boyfriends gets married, then I realize that I'll have my BS in 8 weeks, and it seems like all my friends are getting engaged... now this.

Anyone else feel really old? ;) :p

11. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

ok u KNOW im gonna be all over this one.. if ur serious baout your post than you defintely will live a miserable life as a human being if u are teh type of person to post what you did. nwo you need some growing up!!! ahhhh someobody killl meeee!!!! cant we track thewse posters someway,, id love to see these freaks in real life! ahhhh

12. mid-life crisis come-a-knocking? ;)

13. FLY

FLY Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I see only one thing that may hold you back from a med school admission:

Having a Life.

14. Hero

Hero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Striderhiryu, you probably already know that your MCAT scores are great but that your GPA is not as good as your MCAT.

In terms of your chances in getting into an UC: I don't know. It's really hard to say. You will definitely get secondaries from UC but whether or not you will get interviews will depend on how you do on the secondaries and your letters of rec. Getting in will depend greatly on how you do in interviews as well. However, with our scores, the odds are in your favor. Good luck (much of the app processes IS luck, IMO)

15. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Is this a joke? For one thing there's got to be plenty of people getting accepted to UC's with lesser numbers. And then to jump right into the foreign school route! A 34 MCAT and ~3.7gpa will get you into 9/10 allopathic schools. Especially in light of relevant EC's and LOR's.

16. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life
    10+ Year Member

A 34 is MUCH too low. You should retake.

17. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    *sigh* tool

18. 2badr

2badr **Switch**
    10+ Year Member

Are you serious? Well let me think about this for a minute....

19. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You really think you can hack med school with those stats? Get a grip! Maybe you should consider technical school instead:rolleyes:

20. Hero

Hero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LISTEN
    Striderhiryu is a Junior Member with ONE post. He's 18! When I was 18, i didn't know jack about the app processes to get into med school. Heck, before SDN, i still didn't know jack!

CUT HIM SOME SLACK, you know-it-all-people! He asked a simple question and you idiots start a bitter flame against him. Be ashamed of yourself. :rolleyes:

21. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

Good lord you are 18 years old:eek: . I think that your numbers are great but I mean just enjoy your youth. Seriously, the average age for med school matriculates is 21, thats 3 years difference. I say take it easy and enjoy life because the next time you will see an 8 in your age is when you are 28 years old, so I would enjoy my younth if i was you. Oh well its just me. I just turned 20 years old and will be applying for 2004 admissions. However, thats your choice to make. Congratulations on your MCAT though:clap:

22. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think that most of us are just having a little fun with strider. as always, Dr. Wallstreet is bitter and belligerent, but what else is new? i have the utmost respect for any 18 yr old with an excellent grades, mcat, and ec's and i am sure the rest of sdner's do also

23. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

I am just stunned at the level of maturity this 18 year old have, that is inspiration to me and many of us. I just have to give you big props Strider. Do your thang man, I know you will get into any UC school. :clap: :clap:

24. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

95% if you had applied in June. 85-90% now if you can write a decent essay and don't have a history of procrastination. Also, don't retake the MCAT. It's fine.

25. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

To be honest, you're a bit young. That might subtract experience points and maturity points. Other than that, looks good.

-RA

26. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i am so with you this time, and this time only, dr. wall$treet thing. gosh, are you guys crazy? what is the chance of an 18 years old applicant with stat like this, hear about SDN, comes to SDN, and post his first thread, asking such a dumb question? If he can manage to master so many things well...

well, let me refresh you:

I am a 18yr old 3rd year Bio sci major at a UC
    Gpa: 3.69
    MCAT: 11 13 10 T (considering retaking)
    Other: Fraternity, Medical Biller, Professional DJ, Kaplan teacher, o-chem tutor, Anesthisology Research, lots of volunteer service, and been published for papers in comparitive literature.

Ok, how can he not know how competetive his numerical stat? What a dumb question to ask about his MCAT score? U think he is serious? If he is smart enough to manage all that, he would humbly, simply, ask you that the concern is really about his age. When Dr. Folkman got into Harvard, he broke HMS's history of youngest med student, and he was 19.

And tell me this, what is the chance of a 3 yrs student, means 16 years old when he was freshman, join a fraternity? And wow, KAPLAN TEACHER? OCHEM TUTOR? Firstable, a Kaplan tutor requires you to score 13 or above on the subject that you tutor. So I assume that he scores a 13 on Bio. But for my knowledge, A FREAKING KAPLAN tutor needs to be a med student too!!

And... LOTS of volunteer serivce... he has that much time in addition to his great comparative paper and advanced college classes?

If he is a genius, if he PUBLISHED PAPER IN COMPARATIVE LITERATURE, he wouldn't spell "comparative" wrong.

to top it off, did he say he is a what? medical biller? what is that? and a professional DJ? Anesthisology Research????? GIVE ME A BREAK! You guys....

if he is what he is, i bet he can get into HMS. His stat is way better than Dr. Judah Folkman

27. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Is that true? You don't have to be a med student to teach Kaplan do you?

Unless you're saying that tutoring is different from teaching the classes...

-RA

28. Curci

Curci The Master Chief
    7+ Year Member

I don't think you have to be a med student to teach for Kaplan. You just need to have done well on the MCAT.

29. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

i don't know if that's right, but the comparative lit thing is definitely weird (not being able to spell the word...)

that aside, on an more anecdotal note, i know a third year at penn who was 18 when she entered medical school. she's a year younger than me and already a third year....:eek: i imagine she's pretty distinctive, so i won't give out her stats on here, but they weren't out-of-this-world, though they were VERY strong. i'm still convinced that age is a big hindrance when you're young, particularly based on comments she received at certain schools -and i don't remember which ones.

if you're for real, good luck!

30. Woots32

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all -

I'm a teacher for Kaplan, and I'm currently a senior. To qualify to teach one of their sections you have to get a 11 or 12 (don't really remember). You also have to complete their teacher training class. As far as I know, the instructors are also able to tutor - you don't have to be a current med student.

If anyone wants more info about teaching for Kaplan, let me know! :)

31. sooooooo how much do u make? and whats ur phone number?

32. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I had similar stats as you Strider, but not the same ECs, and I ended up with no acceptances last year. I freaked out and while imtpoving my ECs I decided to retake with a 34 S; I ended up with a lower score, sort of, 34 Q. I regret retaking, because 1) I feel like I wasted my summer, and 2) it delayed the processing of many of my apps.

Don't retake unless you're >%90 confident you can do significantly better, like 3-4pts better.

33. gooloogooloo

7+ Year Member

ok, my friend told me that you need to score 13 or above and a med student to teach mcat in PR. I guess he is wrong. SOrry for saying that. But give me a break.... lol, jus think about things he said please~
    you tell me seeing a 18 years old in med school is possible- i agree.
    you tell me that a 18 years old been thru frat, prof. dj, LOTS v-works, publish paper... and one day you walk into kaplan, you see him teaching? HA HA HA HA, i can't stop laughing just thinking about that....

why doesn't he say something? if he thinks it's fun to get an user name randomly then post something extraodinarily bizarre and makes everyone debate over it.... get a life. i am off to sleep, cuz i have early biochem class tomorrow.

did i tell u that i triple major in pchem/biochem/accounting and have 3.99 GPA cuz this advanced piano class i took as elective without any piano experience pulled me down; and i have 13v 15b 15p MCAT (do you think i should retake? i heard they change to 15 for verbal this year. perhaps i should prove that i can get perfect twice) and i was the pilot for air force one, olympic gold medalist and professional football player in FIFA. I research astrophysics and quantum chemistry in the international space station. :eek: :eek:

34. Woots32

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay, I'm not sure if I can disclose that kind of info on a public forum... so to be safe PM me if you're interested. :)

Immediatespring - I sent you a PM.

35. gooloogooloo

7+ Year Member

if u got rejected... i don't think it's the problem of your MCAT....
    and i assume you only applied for top few schools?

did i say i am going to bed?:eek:

36. i got it !

37. TeinII

TeinII Membership Revoked
    Removed

my thoughts exactly

38. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

Who cares what other people think your chances are...if you enter the game with self doubt, then you've lost the battle.

39. TeinII

TeinII Membership Revoked
    Removed

that's pretty surprising batman
    how many schools did you apply to and how many interviews did you get? where was your undergrad and r u a cali resident?

40. 2badr

2badr **Switch**
    10+ Year Member

Exactly.I don't think anyone is trying to jump on str.If you are an accomplished person in your own right then you don't need anyone else to pat you on the back and say you are "okay". When you have accomplished as much our fellow poster you have already had a million pats on the back.Why come here for more reassurance that you are ok? You already know it for yourself.
    Of course there are exceptional people out there.But 18 is the exception not the rule.
    If I get 40 on the MCAT,acheive a 4.0 average have glowing letters of reccomendations,superior ec's (and maintain my cute as a button status:laugh: ...) and then I post with the "will I get in" thread I will publish my address on sdn and you guys can send me a huge plate of crow.

41. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have to be honest with you - you're screwed. You're just not good enough. I mean, you got NO MCAT section scores higher than 13??? You teach for Kaplan, not for Harvard??? Geez...

I applied there in my youth of 18 as well, witha 44T and 3.99. Basically, they said "where's the other point you missed on the MCAT? Where's the .01 from your GPA? Get out!"

Give up, work at Mickey D's.

42. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi! I'm a 13 year old master's student from Harvard. My MCAT was 45T, and my GPA is 3.97 (it's so low because i had to take a few weeks off to cure cancer). My CV includes being president of the NIH at age 11 and building a children's hospital with my own bare hands.

Anyway, do I have a shot??

Actually, this is just a rhetorical question. I know I'm God. I only post these "do i have a shot?" threads because I thrive on your praise and compliments! Ha! Worship me!

:rolleyes:

43. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Have you considered applying overseas?

44. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The only overseas programs this guy can get into are probably nursing or P.A.

45. Hero

Hero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    proof that most premeds are assholes :)

46. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The skeptic in me finds this post very suspicious. Kaplan instructor at 18? Boy, I would like to meet the person responsible for giving this guy the keys to the class. Think about it, an 18 year old teaching a class to 20+ year olds? Teaching has alot to do with respect, regardless of knowledge.

Besides, if HE truly had these credentials HE would know that he would be competitive. He did get a 34 on the MCAT right. Doesn't that qualify as someone that is analytical?

Let's not protect anyone here, I believe this is a self-inflated, ego driven, attention seeking thread looking to indulge in some fantasy speculation. Hey, whoever you are, you got me. Because I responded, but let's not waste anyone else's time.

Okay, everyone THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ON PEOPLE!!!

47. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks, Officer Barbrady! :)

48. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

Come on guys be nice, he's just curious and it was his second post...:)

49. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

15 schools; 3 interviews, one waitlist, 0 acceptances; undergrad: JHU; not a Cali resident

50. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Who's an @$$hole? The person who posted this phony thread? The people who have a sense of humor and joke around about it? Or the people who call each other @$$holes?

51. Hero

Hero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm glad you asked. IMO, an example of assholes are ones uncomfortable with their inferiority and feel the need to put down those who are more accomplished. Is this you? :)

They are insecure people without a life. They have major problems. Is this you? :)

Most importantly, they forget that SDN is a forum for people to ask questions without having their post overanalyzed and given crap about... I don't have to ask. ;)

Point is, you don't know if Striderhiryu is for real or not. He could be another troll like the dude here but you don't know. Yes it's unlikely that this guy's for real but remember that there are some pretty amazing people on SDN. Unless u got facts to make conclusions, don't.

You say the responses are by those who have a sense of humor and joke around. I know it's fun to joke around but when you say things like:
    That is just insulting. What's wrong with having to go overseas, nursing or P.A. or working at Mickey D's?

Yea I'll admit that i'm an dingus a lot of times on SDN (and in life ;)). But over time i have learn that some people are here to find answers to their questions. learn to leave them alone.