I AM BEING SERIOUS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla_Mdhopeful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i posted the following earlier but people seem to think that i am not being serious. i am being very serious. my undergraduate gpa was 2.7, that's why i need advice from you guys. the gpa i mentioned below dealt with my graduate gpa. please any advice?:

i am a grad student. i need your advise. i have a class that i might end up with an A-, worse
B+. i still have a chance to get an A but it would mean acing the final with a 98%. the dilemna
is if i go ahead and finish the class, but end up with an A-, my overall gpa will drop from a 3.94
to 3.89 this quarter and it would take at least 16 units to pull it up to just 3.92 overall when i
am graduating next quarter. (i am only doing 38 units for my graduate program.) if i don't
continue with the class, i will get a 3.92 gpa by the end of this quarter considering A's in my
other classes and finish with a 3.95 gpa overall next quarter. i really want to continue b/c i put
alot of work in it but i feel that i should swallow my pride and look at the overall picture, which
is the gpa. my undergrad gpa was not great, so that is why i need my grad gpa to be as high
as possible. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you grad GPA looks stellar in either case. I can sympathize with your situation about the A- vs. the A. Take it all in stride. You're doing fine.

I can't sympathize. Finish the class. A-/A...it doesn't matter enough to drop a class!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take any offense, but I think your bigger problem is how concerned you are about such trifling differences between outstanding GPA's. Do you really think any Adcom is going to make an issue regarding a 3.89 vs. a 3.92 or any of the other GPA's you mentioned?? You've got to relax and not put so much energy into this!

Dear UCLA,

In my opinion, u should stick with the class considering all the hard work u put in to make yourself a better applicant. If someone or some school is to shallow minded to see past that then their the one with the problem. I hope that didn't seem too harsh, but I am in a similar position, low undergrad gpa and a higher post grad gpa. So keep your head :wink:

Explaining your undergraduate GPA circumstance makes this post a little less laughable. However, I really don't think adcoms will care one way or another if you had a 3.89 vs. a 3.92 vs. a 3.94. There is virtually no difference. They all round to 3.9, and that's a great GPA! I had no idea what my GPA was to the hundredth place when I was in school. I don't mean this in a condescending way so I apologize if it comes across that way, but perhaps you should spend your energy doing something productive that will make your application stand out to adcoms?? Best of luck.

hopeful, i was serious when responding to your last post. here, i repeat:

•••quote:•••
3.89, 3.92, it all rounds to 3.9
stick with the course. you've already gone this far. if you can pull yourself away from SDN (which i know i have great difficulty doing) study your booty off and get that A. A-/B+ isn't going to kill you either.
••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ucla_Mdhopeful:
•hi, i posted the following earlier but people seem to think that i am not being serious. i am being very serious. my undergraduate gpa was 2.7, that's why i need advice from you guys. the gpa i mentioned below dealt with my graduate gpa. please any advice?:

i am a grad student. i need your advise. i have a class that i might end up with an A-, worse
B+. i still have a chance to get an A but it would mean acing the final with a 98%. the dilemna
is if i go ahead and finish the class, but end up with an A-, my overall gpa will drop from a 3.94
to 3.89 this quarter and it would take at least 16 units to pull it up to just 3.92 overall when i
am graduating next quarter. (i am only doing 38 units for my graduate program.) if i don't
continue with the class, i will get a 3.92 gpa by the end of this quarter considering A's in my
other classes and finish with a 3.95 gpa overall next quarter. i really want to continue b/c i put
alot of work in it but i feel that i should swallow my pride and look at the overall picture, which
is the gpa. my undergrad gpa was not great, so that is why i need my grad gpa to be as high
as possible. thanks.•••••not fo nuthin, but I notice a post like this in Examkrackers website.
<a href="http://www.examkrackers.com/" target="_blank">http://www.examkrackers.com/</a>

My advice: try to ace the MCAT b/c no high grad gpa is going to explain a low MCAT score.

I agree. Stick with the class. I would imagine that you would get a W at this point and while it wouldn't effect your GPA the ad coms might notice it as much or more than a .02 GPA difference. Also why do people always have to question people like the above post?

I think once you have above a 3.8, it doesn't matter. I don't think med schools make much distinction between a 3.9 and a 3.8.

So just chill :)

here's what i think you should do: get a brick, like the red ones buildings are made out of. throw it really high in the air, and let it land on your head. this will knock your **** out cold. then, when you wake up, take the test, and get your friggin A-
aw sheeeeeiiiit.

Alright Booyah,

That was a bit uncalled for. UCLA-Hopeful is probably just being cautious now, after his undergrad 2.7. The most important thing is that his intentions are good, and he's trying to make the correct decision.

Anyway, so UCLA--don't worry about the A-, keep the class. You've shown to schools that you can overcome your difficulties (2.7) and that says a lot. Your current status is what's important, and although so is your past, it's not as nearly as important as the 3.8/3.9.

Don't stress, keep the course, study your butt off, and if you get an A-, so be it.

you are correct. i am wrong :) :) :( :( :0
what i meant to say is that one grade will not drastically affect your chances at admission. having been through the process, i can assure you that one grade will not make or break your app. i had plenty of bad grades and managed to get into school. just relax and don't stress so much! it's only one class.

thanks guys: yes, i am being very cautious these days. actually, i should have got a 4.0. i was very mad at myself for getting 2 A- that screw the 4.0 that's why i didn't want to get another A- ever again. i don't know. i haven't make the decision to keep it or not. since i am in grad school, dropping it wouldn't give me a W, that's why i don't worry about that part.

for the person who is wondering how i got into grad school with a 2.7. well, you need special dean permission to do that. i was fortunate to have a professor who believe in me .

see, i only have 1 more class to go before i graduate. i really want to graduate with a 3.95 overall b/c it would be really nice. but if i take the A- and if whatever happen, i might end up with a B+, then i would have to settle with a lesser gpa when i graduate. i feel like i would not be happy if that happen. it' easy to say just study hard but it's not that easy considering i have alot of other things to do. the class is not hard, but you guys should know. if i even miss 1 question, then it's over. if i miss 2 quetions, then i got a B+, if i miss 3 questions, then i got a B. i believe in myself but i don't know whether i should take that chance. honestly, if you can drop that class and not get a W, would you guys actually keep it and get a 3.89 instead of 3.95 graduating gpa???

Supposedly adcoms don't care about grad gpa's. Since a "C" is failing in most grad programs, the gpa's of grad school are regarded as inflated.

So, don't worry too much about your grad gpa, since the med schools are much more interested in your undergrad gpa. : )

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MSTPgirl:
•Supposedly adcoms don't care about grad gpa's. Since a "C" is failing in most grad programs, the gpa's of grad school are regarded as inflated.

So, don't worry too much about your grad gpa, since the med schools are much more interested in your undergrad gpa. : )•••••That's odd. That seems to be the exact opposite of everything I've heard about grad vs. undergrad gpa. From what I've been told, adcoms care more about grad gpa because it's more recent and, especially if there's improvement, shows a more mature student and person.

It does not matter if you get an A-, an A, or an A+. AMCAS will make each of those on A on your transcript anyway, and this is what the Adcoms will look at.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•It does not matter if you get an A-, an A, or an A+. AMCAS will make each of those on A on your transcript anyway, and this is what the Adcoms will look at.•••••I don't think this is correct. I am fairly certain that AMCAS treats A and A- differently.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pocwana:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by MSTPgirl:
•Supposedly adcoms don't care about grad gpa's. Since a "C" is failing in most grad programs, the gpa's of grad school are regarded as inflated.

So, don't worry too much about your grad gpa, since the med schools are much more interested in your undergrad gpa. : )•••••That's odd. That seems to be the exact opposite of everything I've heard about grad vs. undergrad gpa. From what I've been told, adcoms care more about grad gpa because it's more recent and, especially if there's improvement, shows a more mature student and person.•••••This is indeed correct. And this is a point of frustration for many people with 4.0 grad GPAs who have low undergrad GPAs. Adcoms will only consider the fact that you did well in grad school, they don't care about the actual numbers because they can't really use them. The grade inflation in grad school is rampant, and as the poster above said, a C is pretty much failing. You have to almost work at it to get lower than a B. Whoever told you that adcoms care about graduate grades more than undergraduate is very much misinformed.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by STi555:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•It does not matter if you get an A-, an A, or an A+. AMCAS will make each of those on A on your transcript anyway, and this is what the Adcoms will look at.•••••I don't think this is correct. I am fairly certain that AMCAS treats A and A- differently.•••••Thats really unfair to those who go to a school that uses +/- when grading. I know that I would have received lots of A- if my school used that system. They don't, so instead I just got A's.