I am Canadian thinking of studying in Ireland (but I also have a Swiss passport)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianRower

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen plenty of post on how it is difficult/impossible to match for residency as a Canadian. However, I also have a Swiss passport (although I have never actually lived in Switzerland). Considering my circumstances, how difficult would it be to match in Ireland or the UK?

Ideally I would like to go back to Canada but I still want to know what options are available to me.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have seen plenty of post on how it is difficult/impossible to match for residency as a Canadian. However, I also have a Swiss passport (although I have never actually lived in Switzerland). Considering my circumstances, how difficult would it be to match in Ireland or the UK?

Ideally I would like to go back to Canada but I still want to know what options are available to me.

Thank you!
You will still need to apply through AB as an international rather than Irish students that apply through CAO.
This will only be slightly beneficial as CAO students will get preference over internationals regardless of what passport(s) they hold.
If you've tried to get into Canada or USA and have been unsuccessful after a few attempts and still want to be a doctor, go ahead and apply. You will be at a disadvantage regardless, but if you really want to be a doctor you will have the opportunity to make the dream come true.

Hi,

Thank you!

Well, if you go to Ireland, you can probably stay in Ireland, although Irish doctors don't make as much as they do in North America, and they also don't rise the ranks as fast as they do here. People used to be able to go to the UK, but I don't know if that will still be the case after Brexit, probably not I guess.

The best options most people try to take are going to the states and going back to Canada. Both require a lot of effort and work. You'll need to score well on the USMLEs, ace your clinical electives in order to make it back. It isn't easy but its doable. The main negative of going back to Canada/US is if you go back to Canada, you need to do return of service in most places you match. If you go to the US, most likely you have to accept that you won't be able to get as competitive of a spot as US grads get and some specialties just aren't going to be possible.