I am clinically diagnosed with ADD. I need help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old grad student who's taking 16 credits.
It seems the courses are overloaded to me considering I have ADHD and besides English is my second language(Korean) But I'm doing ok in school. However, I've been sick in the past several days(viral infection) so I had hard time keeping up studying and getting highly motivated again.
But I have exams coming up soon and so I have million things to do. I'm really nervous and really really distracted keep thinking about what I should do whether I should get incomplete in one course and graduate a semester later or just finish in school earlier. I think I can pass that course and just graduate but I want to graduate with good grade since I have poor undergrad 2.9GPA.(well, I'm planning to take more undergrad courses)
What shall I do? Does incomplete in 3credits course would affect it?
I feel frustrated because I'm not a "normal" like other student who can study hard and get good grades and going through the right path traditionally.
Also I'm trying to work with physician about dealing with ADD I have been suffering since day 1. That's why I need some time this semester.
What do you guys think is the best idea?
I would appreciate if you can help with my problem. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.. Do you really believe that having ADD will set you apart from everyone else? What you have to realize is that ADD is not a rare disorder. There are many individuals, including myself, who have been diagnosed with ADD but have found ways to overcome the disorder. The thing that works best for me is to engage in many activites at once. During one of my previous semesters as an undergraduate student, I decided to take 19 hours of coursework, volunteer as a tutor, and work at two different jobs. At first, it was difficult to handle everything at once, but after awhile I realized that it helped me to stay focused and organized. I realize that this may not work well with you since you dislike having an overload of classes, but I believe that there is something that can help you overcome your struggle.

So my suggestion is to spend less time worrying about your condition and find a way to deal with it. It is possible to be a "normal" person, if you make the effort to improve yourself.

Oh yeah, as for whether or not you should receive an incomplete for that course, I think you should go ahead and complete the course. If you believe that you didn't perform to your potential and can achieve an "A", then consider an incomplete for the course and repeat it the following semester.

Hello challenge,

i understand your concern. i too am korean and had a similar situation regarding my health wihch sometime ago affected my studies. so in that sense, i understand the "korean" thing and your concerns about your health and studies. my advice to you is to keep up on your condition. you're going have to work twice as harder as others if you want to suceed. but hard hard doesn't kill anyone. right..good luck..

Members don't see this ad :)
Finishing a course and taking from it whatever grade you have is better than an incomplete. As previously stated, you can retake the course for a better grade. Heck, you might even pull your grade up and be done with it all together.

As for the ADD thing... I find it quite concerning that you added this bit of information into your message. In all honesty, why is it holding you back? Because you are letting it become a major factor of your struggles with one class? I do understand you have had health problems which I hope you are taking care of and are better now. I think you shouldn't let some diagnosis become the reason for your struggles. I agree with the previous posts, that you find ways to change the behavior instead of letting the diagnosis define you. You managed to make it into a graduate program and overcome a language barrier! I believe you are more than just a grad student with ADD. I think you'll be a stronger, more confident person when you take control of your situation and make it work.

Yes! Engaging many things at once helps me focus tremendously. But if there's any little bit of things in my personal life to worry about I know I'll be screwing all the activities I'm involved. It puts myself in into dangerous situation. It was pretty much like gambling to me. But sometimes I enjoy it. Any challenging work tremendously increase my attention.
I know ADD won't keep hold me back from whatever I am doing if I can manage how to overcome and deal with it and that's why I'm going for osteopathic school.
However, it gets much worse when you have ADD and learn things in foreign language.

Oh well, I'm not making excuse but ADD really bothers me when I'm not motivated somehow.(maybe mood swings; common symptoms for ADD individuals)