I am confused about what to do next..please recommend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katusha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted before but did not get the answers i needed.. my question is:
im a junior and have a 3.4 GPA, last year i took bio and got a C+ in both I and II, i also took Organic chemistry I and took a CR in it, right now i am talking orgo II and was thinking of retaking both bio's, but i don't know if i should, also i am a chemistry minor and was thiking if i should just change my minor and leave the CR for orgo I (if i manage at least a B in orgo II) I want to know if i should even retake biology I and II or lets say take a more advanced course my senior year?? also should i retake orgo I or ask my professor for a C (since its the lowest posible grade).. i also hear that some school let you substitute one semester of orgo with some other class like biochem for example....

please i would really appreciate your answers and advices..:)

maybe i can rock on my MCAT and it will level things out?? do i still have a chance of getting into a good medical school?

thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I posted before but did not get the answers i needed.. my question is:
im a junior and have a 3.4 GPA, last year i took bio and got a C+ in both I and II, i also took Organic chemistry I and took a CR in it, right now i am talking orgo II and was thinking of retaking both bio's, but i don't know if i should, also i am a chemistry minor and was thiking if i should just change my minor and leave the CR for orgo I (if i manage at least a B in orgo II) I want to know if i should even retake biology I and II or lets say take a more advanced course my senior year?? also should i retake orgo I or ask my professor for a C (since its the lowest posible grade).. i also hear that some school let you substitute one semester of orgo with some other class like biochem for example....

please i would really appreciate your answers and advices..:)

maybe i can rock on my MCAT and it will level things out?? do i still have a chance of getting into a good medical school?

thank you :)

I would not retake those bio course, I would retake orgo I for a grade. I would take advanced bio courses and do well in them. There is your answer.

its not going to be too late to take those courses in my senior year?

Members don't see this ad :)
When someone is unable to successfully complete their pre-requisite classes it leads to some serious doubt regarding their chances of succeeding in medical school. You need to take some advanced bio classes and do well in them (like, preferably get A's) in order to erase these doubts. If you can't succeed in those courses though then you're going to have some serious explaining to do.

its not going to be too late to take those courses in my senior year?

Why can't you take advanced bio classes 2nd semester of junior year? If you choose to apply without plugging up those holes you're seriously shooting yourself in the foot as far as the application process goes. If you don't have everything in order by the time it comes time to apply then consider waiting a year before applying so that you can strengthen your overall app with your senior year classes and with whatever EC, etc you do in the interim.

i am scared i will not have the time or space to take an advanced level biology class this spring but will it still be ontime if i lets say either orgnanic I in th summer and be in the process of taking an advances biology course in the fall of senior year while applying?? .. i would really hate to stay behind another year.. is the situation really looking that bad?

i am scared i will not have the time or space to take an advanced level biology class this spring but will it still be ontime if i lets say either orgnanic I in th summer and be in the process of taking an advances biology course in the fall of senior year while applying?? .. i would really hate to stay behind another year.. is the situation really looking that bad?

the problem with that plan is you'll be taking these bio "redemption" courses after your app has already been sent out and looked at by adcoms. you won't be able to convince them you are an A student in biology if they can't see the A during the initial screening.

staying behind another year would probably hurt financially, but given the other things at work here, it may be a necessary investment.

is there ANY other way out of this situation except for staying an extra year? what if i take both in the summer? do MCAT's play into this? lets say i do extremely well on them, would that increase my chances?