I am considering a career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arshiya

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be a junior in high school next year and am seriously considering a career in medicine, but i don't have much money to pay for it (to put it bluntly). My parents didn't save a college fund for me so therefor I'm on my own. I was just wondering how one would go about palying for med school in my situation. I really would love to be a doc.....I mean really....but the fact that I don't have much the means to pay for it is really a problem. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a U.S. citizen you should have no problem receiving enough loans to pay for college or medical school. Grants and scholarships (free money) are also available if you qualify.

Every accredited college and medical school has a financial aid office. You can speak to that office and they will explain the process for applying for federal, state, and school sponsored grants and loans.

Where there is a will there is a way. Never limit yourself if you lack the means.

Members don't see this ad :)
People have to remember that banks love future docs. This is because most will have a paying job by the time they graduate (residency) and thus will be able to pay on the loans whether over a short period or the 30 year program that banks love. There is always money out there in the form of loans and grants, yet scholarships are lacking. Many philanthropists forget that future doctors are struggling with cash just like their law and business counterparts.

peace

My parents didn't have any money to send me to college as well. All my undergrad and med school was paid for with scholarships, grants and loans (the majority was loans). You'll be in big time debt. I'm about $160,000 in debt from all those years, but you can still do it.

LOANS!!!! There are plenty of them out there.....

My parents didn't save for my college either. Never really occured to them.... I am the first in the family to even go! I ended up going the loan route too, and it is not so bad.

You said you were in Jr. High? Tell you what I wish I had done.... concentrated in high school. I totally slacked off because I didn't think it mattered. I later found out that I could have gotten scholarships and grants to go to school if I would have gotten good grades. Do well in high school and try to get some scholarships. (from the sound of it, if you are already thinking this far ahead, you should have no problem with this) This will help no matter what field you want to go into.

Good Luck!