Quantcast

I am considering a SMP to do something over my gap year. Is it worth it for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysera555

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
So I was going to do an SMP in Colorado which would cost me total (living expenses and tuition) about $25,000. I will be applying this upcoming cycle for admission in 2017 and I wanted to do this program to make sure that if I don't get in this cycle, I can reapply the 2018 cycle with a better GPA.

I was wondering if it is worth to do with my stats of 3.3 sGPA, 3.5x cGPA, 504 MCAT.

Do you guys think it is worth it for my gap year plans? I don't know what else I should do if I take a gap year...

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a massive piss-away of money. Your stats are perfectly fine to get in somewhere assuming you have a good school list.

What you should do? Chill the hell out. Work and save up some money. Enjoy life before med school consumes most of your time!! Continue volunteering etc. as well!

PS You didn't mention what your ECs were at all, and those are important when providing stats!

Reactions: 1 users
A

AnatomyGrey12

Your stats are fine for DO and the MCAT is too low for MD anyway. Don't throw away the money, it could literally be the most unproductive thing you could do.

MADD!!!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing a post-bacc could potentially hurt your chances of getting in if you don't perform well. Don't risk it. The risk is greater than the reward.

Reactions: 1 user

ysera555

Reaction score
I have no idea what I am going to do then for my gap year...I feel so lost :(

BPCM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Save money (you will need a lot of it to apply to schools, deposits and moving expenses), volunteer and shadow doctors. Also try to have fun!

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what I am going to do then for my gap year...I feel so lost :(

Are you unfamiliar with having fun? :p Just keep volunteering, working to save money, and hang out a bit!

cassis_Cake

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree ^, get a job, volunteer and have fun.. live life a little, you know?

FourniersGreenGang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should not do a SMP. If you want, try to retake some classes at a CC to boost the GPA a bit (or take ones that are an easy A), and spend a good amount time volunteering with underserved communities. That will give you stuff to talk about on your app and in your interviews, plus a good amount of DO schools include this in their missions, making you a more attractive applicant. The MCAT is a liiiiiittle low too given your GPA, so you might want to consider studying like crazy for that and retaking it if you think you can do better.

DrMikeP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was going to do an SMP in Colorado which would cost me total (living expenses and tuition) about $25,000. I will be applying this upcoming cycle for admission in 2017 and I wanted to do this program to make sure that if I don't get in this cycle, I can reapply the 2018 cycle with a better GPA.

I was wondering if it is worth to do with my stats of 3.3 sGPA, 3.5x cGPA, 504 MCAT.

Do you guys think it is worth it for my gap year plans? I don't know what else I should do if I take a gap year...

Just remember if you get in and then make F/D/or potentially a C even in a science course you might risk getting unaccepted. Apply early and broadly and see if you have any bites by August when the term starts.

Retakes in core sciences might boost your sgpa and be less risky. Some SMPs are known for being gpa killers.

Best of Luck

DoReMiFaSo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Literally agree with every post above.

I recommend binge watching tv shows! ^_^

Best OP, enjoy ur gap yr! :]