I am considering applying for Medical school in Germany but am nervous about returning back to the states afterward and don't know the process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germanblossom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently in a Master Progam and have been thinking about my next steps, whether I'll apply to medical school in the states, or try Germany. I am a non-traditional student (older) and now have a child. But I am actually also a german citizen. My concern is, my husband does not want to stay in Germany forever, so if I get my education there, how do I transition back to the united states and am able to practice? Do I just take the USMLE I and II?

Thank you for any information and help.

Members don't see this ad.

In the only reliable data we had, the only European country with a sufficient number of US-born applicants to be evaluated was Poland.
Of those who got at least one interview, only 46 matched into their preferred specialty. 79 did not. Your odds being able to practice in the US go up dramatically by attending a US medical school. No reliable data on outcomes from German schools has been published.

Best chances go to those with a stellar USMLE Step 2 score (and a first time pass on Step 1), letters from US clinical supervisors (through US clinical experience) and a YOG in the the same application cycle.

Charting Outcomes no longer publishes country-specific data: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2020_IMG_final.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

I am currently in a Master Progam and have been thinking about my next steps, whether I'll apply to medical school in the states, or try Germany. I am a non-traditional student (older) and now have a child. But I am actually also a german citizen. My concern is, my husband does not want to stay in Germany forever, so if I get my education there, how do I transition back to the united states and am able to practice? Do I just take the USMLE I and II?

Thank you for any information and help.
You can probably find more info here:

But yes, after you finish medical school in Germany you would need to pass the Steps and apply as an IMG.