Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I am doomed to failure?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by destined_wind, Apr 29, 2004.

1. destined_wind

destined_wind Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I haven't posted in this forum for around a year. As my first year of college draws to an end, I realized that college is different from what I expected. So far, I have a pathetic overall GPA of 3.11 and almost failed Gen Chem, however our school is on a quarter system so I had one last quarter to improve my grades. Nevertheless, I don't think I will end the year higher than a 3.4 (overall). So am I screwed now? Is there no hope for poor me? Please help with jeers, helpful information, or whatever you have to offer. Thank you. ^.^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TheGuy2000

TheGuy2000 Member
    5+ Year Member

I'll be honest with you, if you're tripping up that badly with Gen Chem, then you could be in serious trouble. It justs gets tougher from Basic Chem on... I mean if you really REALLY want to be a doctor the pull your head out of your @ss. This stuff should be cake for you or any pre-med. Orgo is the class that normally weeds out wanna be doctors. I'm guessing since you almost failed Gen Chem that your other grades must be good to get a 3.1 so look at other options. Your still young, and this med school route is just gonna be a world of pain for you if you're struggling with such a remedial class. Sorry, just my $.02

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

I don't know you personally, so I'm taking the shotgun approach. These aren't accusations, just musings that may help.

Good news / Bad news.

Good news: You are not screwed. If there is a divine word for a person in your situation, it is definately 'Improvement'. Strive to do better. Take more difficult classes, prove that you aren't a quitter. Study harder, better and more often. Use your time efficiently, find activities you enjoy a great deal and make time for doing them ("High Yield" activities reduce stress in little time). You may yet someday be a physician.

Bad News: You've put yourself behind the 8-ball. You have but two choices: buckle down or risk becoming a failed pre-med. There is great temptation to go have fun with your friends, especially those who don't have the time pressure you have as a pre-med. Remember, getting into medical school requires committment that most undergraduates will never face. A 3.11 isn't terrible, especially at this early hour, but the competition is fierce, and the classes only get harder.

If you truly, deep in your heart want to become a physician, and have the willpower and tenacity, you can do it.

:Edit: I'm not the zen master of this stuff. My opinion is worth less than 2 cents.

4. drakkan2001

drakkan2001 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't agree, orgo is different from gen chem. It depends on the person so there is hope. Just work your butt off and you'll get into med school

5. giggledesi

giggledesi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey,
    I am not sure that is true. I know a lot of successful pre-meds who tripped up with gen chem... I did.... it is only because you are transitioning right now and it may take you a while to get an idea of what classes are like and what his expected of you... dont worry, just stay focused, and you will be fine. Good Luck!

6. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

I'm going to have to disagree. I had a really hard time in gen chem, (got C's and a D in remedial chem) and I pretty much aced o'chem. They are two different beasts. I also did pretty well in physics, biology and some advanced biology classes.

Not everyone comes out of highschool having had a lot of science classes. Not everyone is exceptional at math, even basic math. That doesn't mean that you can't do well in other classes at all. It just means that you have to get used to taking science classes - used to how much studying you have to do, used to the language, used to the structure, used to the competition.

A 3.4 is fine. It won't kill you in the application process at all. And, you still have the MCAT, ec's, and other things that will make your application more favorable.

Good luck,

Nanon

7. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't listen to those that are trying to make you feel you have no shot at all. A 3.4 is a very reasonable one, only slightly below the average accepted, and you have plenty of time to bring it up. I know plenty of people that got more than one C and have gotten in. If you buckle down and work hard, you will be succesful. Good luck.

8. Leukocyte

Leukocyte Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

From my personal experience, a GPA of 3.4 is considered low for most allopathic schools. So do your best to not end up with 3.4. However, if you do, try to crush the MCAT (30 or above).

My GPA was 3.5, MCAT was 26, and I was regected by the allopathic schools I applied to. I was accepted at D.O. schools and the Caribbean.

9. Xega

Xega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have to agree, as long as you do better in future semesters you will be fine, but you do need to buckle down and do better or else you will have a very tough road ahead of you.

10. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, you are doom!

11. synapse lapse

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

your 26 MCAT is obviously why you were rejected. If the OP makes a 30+ and grads with 3.4 he is a solid candidate, and he can still go up from here. Dont worry about it, work hard, don't let anyone tell you you can't do it, and you will have an M.D. one day ......

12. Leukocyte

Leukocyte Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeeeeeeeah....That's what I told him, MCAT 30 or above.

By the way, OP. If you ever had to make a choice, between D.O. & Caribbean, please DO NOT do what I did (I chose Ross over D.O.) But for now, try to shoot for a US-MD school. Take the MCAT VERY VERY VERY seriously. Do not do what I did and wait for the last minute. Study EARLY and hard for it. Also, if you can, try to get involved in reseach, if it will not affect your grads. Also, come application time, apply to many schools, as many as you can afford.

Good Luck. :luck:

13. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

don;t listen to him. I didn't get an A in colllege until ochem. I didn't get above a B in gchem and I almost failed the first quarter of ochem. Granted I had some mitigating circumstances, an upward trend is all that really matters. In high school I didn't study and I tried to carry that over into my first year in college with no success. I didn't get above a 3.3 until the second quarter of my junior year and I applied in the third quarter of my junior year. I got 4 interviews and had the audacity to turn one down. Two waitlists and an acceptance in January. If you really want this it will happen. Bad grades aren't always an indication of low intelligence as I was once convinced it was.

14. synapse lapse

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    well said, don't get discouraged, just work hard and stay on the ball, you'll be fine...