I am freaking out--does anyone know any relaxation techniques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clair de Lune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't remember ever getting this nervous about a test before. I just know I'll get 3-4 in a row that I have no idea how to answer then that will throw me off for the whole rest of the block. What should I do if I get in there and start freaking out. It's never happened before, but it just might on this test! If you do anything that calms you down before or during (I think I can figure out how to relax after ;) ) the test please share! Thanks!

PS--I take this thing 2 weeks from today :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Clair de Lune said:
I can't remember ever getting this nervous about a test before. I just know I'll get 3-4 in a row that I have no idea how to answer then that will throw me off for the whole rest of the block. What should I do if I get in there and start freaking out. It's never happened before, but it just might on this test! If you do anything that calms you down before or during (I think I can figure out how to relax after ;) ) the test please share! Thanks!

try the following

1)masturbate
2)beta-blocker
3)benzodiazapenes
4)self-lobotomy at the amygdala region

a psychologist taught us this during our neuro block last year and it seems to work...i use it to fall asleep almost every night since i don't want to have to use any more benadryl

close your eyes and try to relax. imagine a good place (safe, somewhere you want to go on vacation, beach, bed, whatever floats your boat) then imagine going down steps one by one trying to get to that place, releasing a little bit of tension as you go down each step.

she said she used it when she was interviewing for her psych programs and she said she was relaxed for every interview. i haven't tried to use it for anything other than falling asleep. hope it works for you.

lindyloohoo said:
a psychologist taught us this during our neuro block last year and it seems to work...i use it to fall asleep almost every night since i don't want to have to use any more benadryl

close your eyes and try to relax. imagine a good place (safe, somewhere you want to go on vacation, beach, bed, whatever floats your boat) then imagine going down steps one by one trying to get to that place, releasing a little bit of tension as you go down each step.

she said she used it when she was interviewing for her psych programs and she said she was relaxed for every interview. i haven't tried to use it for anything other than falling asleep. hope it works for you.

7 beers and 1 vicoprofen...works every time :laugh: (j/k by the way)

Members don't see this ad :)
7 beers...hell i think even a glass of wine might even do it since i haven't seen my friend the captain or even his buddy jim in a long, long time. the vicoprofen be icing on the cake

Ahem. I would recommend something slightly less than legal, but I dont want to be stoned to death in the "Allopathic forums" for contributing to illegal drug use. (look to your left)

i'm thinking about taking a short acting benzo before the night of the test because i predict i'll have insomnia. what do you guys think?

nuclearrabbit77 said:
i'm thinking about taking a short acting benzo before the night of the test because i predict i'll have insomnia. what do you guys think?

and god forbid u dont wake up...or are too drowsy?

nuclearrabbit77 said:

cripes, u serious? don't do it man. but then again, i took tylenol PM the night before the mcat way back when and it damn near killed me testwise -- i was a zombie, don't remember the morning half the test. fortunately, it turned out fine and i got into school, but i think i'd rather go in to something on next to no sleep than go thru that hell again....

Thanks for the advice ya'll, I think I'm going to try & get my hands on some B-blockers from the psych department at school. I'm going to have to try them in advance though just to make sure I don't have any adverse reactions.

As for some of the other suggestions (Idiopathic & USCF ;) ) those are just going to have to wait til after the test is over!

WatchaMaCallit said:
and god forbid u dont wake up...or are too drowsy?
I think something like Ambien, which has little-to no drowsiness reported the morning after taking it, would be appropriate. My grandpaps sometimes uses it when he cant get to sleep and doesnt have any problems with morning "haze" or drowsiness. Although I wouldnt recommend using it all the time, I dont think it could hurt.

You should take one now and see how its going to effect you. And Clair- the same with the B-blockers, definitely try it now before the day before the exam rolls around. :sleep:

the day before the mcat, i woke up at like 4am...went for a 4 hour hike in the afternoon came back and watched a calm, chic-flic :sleep: with ma gurl....i was out by 10pm sharp. i might try to do that again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best thing is to get a release of Buck's fascia!!! How you do it is up to you! :idea: :smuggrin: :D

Clair de Lune said:
Too bad I don't have any Buck's fascia :p
i heard if you do release a bucks facia, you relax as well...atleast thats what i tell... people... :idea: :laugh:

Clair de Lune said:

All kidding aside...you know that feeling you get when you skid at 50mph into oncoming traffic. When everything is in slow motion as your body is electrified in sheer terror. When you know beyond any doubt youre totally fu@ked? I got that feeling today. It seems like I dont know ****. I almost wonder what the hell I was doing for the last three weeks. Ive got 12 days left, plane tickets have been booked. There is no pushing back/rescheduling for me, which is why Im getting a little antsy.

Legion

BTW, we will probably look back on this months/years from now and laugh our asses off, but right now...

UCSFbound said:
I think something like Ambien, which has little-to no drowsiness reported the morning after taking it, would be appropriate. My grandpaps sometimes uses it when he cant get to sleep and doesnt have any problems with morning "haze" or drowsiness. Although I wouldnt recommend using it all the time, I dont think it could hurt.

I know the first 3-4 times I took ambien it knocked teh hell out of me within 20s minutes and I felt like I could sleep all day. Then for some reason, it never seems to have that great effect on me since then even after not taking any for several months. I defintely wouldn't try ambien the for the first tiem the night ebfore the test. You will probably be very hazy and be hard to get out of bed buta fter a few times you feel weell-rested after sleeping about 5-6 hours.

Clair de Lune said:
Well I better hurry up and find some buck's fascia before June 17! :laugh:

im so screwed, im takin step 1 very soon and i dont even know wth is bucks facia :scared:

Legion, I am right there with you--12 days til the test! I have obtained beta blockers, which I'm going to try next week one day when I am studying. I really don't think they'll help much because I am not having panic-type nervousness, I just feel really overwhelmed & the pressure is definitely on.

I think we just need to relax & have some faith in ourselves. I mean we have come this far. Obviously someone thought we could handle learning this much info. But relaxing is a lot easier said than done, for me anyway.

Anyway I'm sure we'll all do great :D
or at least pass!

You could take your benzo to get to sleep then take Flumazenil to reverse the CNS effects. ;)

lindyloohoo said:

What does it mean when you trip and fall down the steps and when you reach the bottom there's a giant First Aid growling, "Read Me!!!"?
Not that it happened to me.... just wondering ;) :) .

I take ambien all the time to sleep, whenever I can't go out but know I need to sleep. It knocks me out in about 30 min and when I wake up in the morning would never know I had taken anything to begin with, maybe try one this week and then before the exam if it works...

people, be careful with all the pills and whatnot. a little bit of anxiety will help you with the test. you don't want to be SOO relaxed that you just don't care about anything...like walk out of the test with 50% unfinished because you're all "calm" on propranolol. but then again, i've never taken beta-blockers, so i don't know HOW calm they make you. i've just heard that they give you a mellow feeling, and trust me, tests and being mellow often don't mix. you want to be anxious a little bit, that gets your brain working.

i still believe (though i often don't follow this belief, big hypocrite that i am) that the best relaxation method is exercise. it takes all the built-up emotional stress and gets it to do useful work. plus, there's the added benefit of getting your blood moving after sitting on your tushy for a million kazillion hours, thus increasing the circulation to your brain.

good luck everyone!

Annushka, you are so right! I don't know what I was thinking, but I have decided not to go the B-blocker route. The main thing I am worried about is the process of actually driving to the test center, registering, then waiting for the test to start--and seeing that first question pop up! Once I get in the groove I think I'll be fine.

Freaking out is not helping me at this point, I am going to continue to review my systems til Thursday, then that leaves me with a full 6 days to spend on some of my weaker subjects (PHARM!)

Now it's time for me to take a deep breath & get started for the day! :)