I am fully aware I am a dork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felicity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
But I really would like some good book recommendations for:

1. preparation for medicine months
and
2. have in your pockets during medicine months

I really enjoy internal medicine, so would like to give as much and get out as much as possible during those 4 months. What can I read?????? I need books!!!! Books make me feel better!!!!!!

I know everyone is telling me "just dont do anything for these three months off" but that is going to drive me crazy. I would feel a lot less anxiety about being on call if I had some reading under my belt and knew what to expect. I feel pretty good on the psych stuff because Ive seen so many psych rotations by now and have a nice collection of psych books and articles, but if anyone has any MUST HAVE suggestions for psych essentials, I would also appreciate. Neuro too, for that matter, although I have a bunch of those as well.

Thanks,
felicity

Members don't see this ad.

felicity said:

and

I really enjoy internal medicine, so would like to give as much and get out as much as possible during those 4 months. What can I read?????? I need books!!!! Books make me feel better!!!!!!

I know everyone is telling me "just dont do anything for these three months off" but that is going to drive me crazy. I would feel a lot less anxiety about being on call if I had some reading under my belt and knew what to expect. I feel pretty good on the psych stuff because Ive seen so many psych rotations by now and have a nice collection of psych books and articles, but if anyone has any MUST HAVE suggestions for psych essentials, I would also appreciate. Neuro too, for that matter, although I have a bunch of those as well.

Thanks,
felicity

Baby Harrisons
Baby Washington Manual (both for the pockets)
Some people (me) like Cecil's either baby or big.

Look in the books sticky at the top of the psychiatry thread. Lots of stuff in there - including medicine.

Neurology - On Call Neurology by Randy Marshall

Internal Medicine -
Pocket Medicine by Marc Sabatine - lots of places to write your own notes and good charts/algorithms

A subscription to UpToDate if the residency program doesn't have one you can use.

Also, I reread Boards and Wards for a quick tune up on the elements of trivia/pimping for which ward months are famous and of course I reread House of God.

Finally, make sure to familiarize yourself with the TiVO/DVR instruction manual. And get some good trashy/easy/fun novels that you can read 1 page of before you fall dead asleep each night you aren't on call.

--
MBK2003

Members don't see this ad :)
I purchased the following:

1. Washington Manual Internship Survival Guide

2. Washington Manual (baby spiral bound 31st edition)

3. Tarascon IM & critical care pocket book

4. First Aid for the USMLE step 3.

I bought:
Washinton manual internship survival guide
Washington manual outpatient
Washington manual
Pocket clinical psych Kaplan and Saddock
I am considering buying on call psychiatry

felicity said:

and

Thanks,
felicity

When I was in graduate school, our neuroscience textbook was "The Principles of Neuroscience" by Eric R. Kandel, James H. Schwartz, and Thomas M. Jessell (McGraw Hill), 2000. It is a very thick ( a little over 1,000 pages) and comprehensive book . It has been used as a reference for many graduate programs.

Editorial Review- Book Description

Now in resplendent color, the new edition continues to define the latest in the scientific understanding of the brain, the nervous system, and human behavior. Each chapter is thoroughly revised and includes the impact of molecular biology in the mechanisms underlying developmental processes and in the pathogenesis of disease. Important features to this edition include a new chapter - Genes and Behavior; a complete updating of development of the nervous system; the genetic basis of neurological and psychiatric disease; cognitive neuroscience of perception, planning, action, motivation and memory; ion channel mechanisms; and much more.

Smilemaker100 said:
When I was in graduate school, our neuroscience textbook was "The Principles of Neuroscience" by Eric R. Kandel, James H. Schwartz, and Thomas M. Jessell (McGraw Hill), 2000. It is a very thick ( a little over 1,000 pages) and comprehensive book . It has been used as a reference for many graduate programs.

Now in resplendent color, the new edition continues to define the latest in the scientific understanding of the brain, the nervous system, and human behavior. Each chapter is thoroughly revised and includes the impact of molecular biology in the mechanisms underlying developmental processes and in the pathogenesis of disease. Important features to this edition include a new chapter - Genes and Behavior; a complete updating of development of the nervous system; the genetic basis of neurological and psychiatric disease; cognitive neuroscience of perception, planning, action, motivation and memory; ion channel mechanisms; and much more.

Try to put that puppy in your pocket! :p

Smilemaker100 said:

:rolleyes: