I am genuinely wondering... please no flaming. :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuackDentist

I'm your ugly duckling.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have questions for those who have interviewed:

1. What did you guys bring with you to write on? Padfolio, regular folder, clipboard, binder?

And for the ladies:

1. What size of a purse did you bring (provided you brought one of course)?

2. For those with long hair, how did you style it?

3. As for your nails, nailpolish? no nailpolish?

Sorry for sounding vain or stupid. I know we all want to put our best foot forward though. Thankies.

--Quackers

Members don't see this ad.

I have to fly out for my interviews and will only be staying at the hotel the night before my interview. What should I do with my luggage/carry-on bag? :confused:

I have to fly out for my interviews and will only be staying at the hotel the night before my interview. What should I do with my luggage/carry-on bag? :confused:

Ah. I called hotels for this. Some hotels will actually let you leave your bag at the front desk as a courtesy even if you have already checked out. Also, if the bag isn't too big, you could call the admissions office and ask them if you could leave your luggage there until the end of the interview. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

If the school will not accommodate your bag (just ask), thenyour hotel will probably be able to hold your bag for you. Just go back after the interview and grab it and go. :)

1. What did you guys bring with you to write on? Padfolio, regular folder, clipboard, binder?

Padfolios look nice and professional. Just bring that and a pen with you to write with.

And for the ladies:

Sorry for sounding vain or stupid. I know we all want to put our best foot forward though. Thankies.

--Quackers

If you want to bring a purse at all, please bring a small one with you to carry the bare essentials you might need. You really don't want to lug around a huge purse with you while you go on the tour, interview, meetings, whatever. It's just more convenient.

Conservative is styling is really best. No flashy hair, nail polish, or clothes. You really don't know where the interviewer is coming from and you don't want to offend their sensibilities. *disclaimer: this is coming from a male* :D

Padfolios look nice and professional. Just bring that and a pen with you to write with.

*disclaimer: this is coming from a male* :D

I was hoping you wouldn't say padfolio cuz I don't have one. And, I dunno if I am looking at the right places, but they are like 40 dollars. Did you see anyone bring something lamer but decent?

Also, funny disclaimer. I was thinking headband actually.

I was hoping you wouldn't say padfolio cuz I don't have one. And, I dunno if I am looking at the right places, but they are like 40 dollars. Did you see anyone bring something lamer but decent?

Also, funny disclaimer. I was thinking headband actually.

Office max (or depot? don't remember) has leather padfolios for 8-9 dollars each.

Office max (or depot? don't remember) has leather padfolios for 8-9 dollars each.

Oooooooh! To be honest, I only looked at our student store and walgreens. Ah, SDN what a bountiful nest of information. I will head on over ASAP.

hey, i went for an interview last year for dental school. I didnt get in cuz of my DAT scores! regardless my advice may help.
yeah, do a headband, it looks preppy and neat/classy
i wore a black suit, very traditional but the blazer was very fashionable/so kinda not the usual collar and button. it was cute and ppl liked it there.
nice plain solid colour preferrably dark under the blazer.
smell fresh and clean not too much perfume. jewellery: go for simple earrings, not too much. rings: listen to this one. i wore a pretty ring on my hand... dont do that cuz when i shook their hands... the protusion of the stone on the ring actually hurt the interviewers !!!! hahahaha so no rings unless u r married or sumthing and thats on ur left hand!
anyways, nice pretty pointed toe shoes, which are actually comfy to walk around in.
thats it and u r set! go with a positive attitude and pray before u go! thats all i can say.

I am praying to God that I get in this year.

hey, i went for an interview last year for dental school. I didnt get in cuz of my DAT scores! regardless my advice may help.
i wore a black suit, very traditional but the blazer was very fashionable/so kinda not the usual collar and button. it was cute and ppl liked it there.
smell fresh and clean not too much perfume. jewellery: go for simple earrings, not too much. rings: listen to this one. i wore a pretty ring on my hand... dont do that cuz when i shook their hands... the protusion of the stone on the ring actually hurt the interviewers !!!! hahahaha so no rings unless u r married or sumthing and thats on ur left hand!
anyways, nice pretty pointed toe shoes, which are actually comfy to walk around in.
thats it and u r set! go with a positive attitude and pray before u go! thats all i can say.

Did they invite you before you took the DAT? Kind of weird that they'd invite someone they'd probably end up rejecting.

Thanks for the advice. Ditto on the praying for acceptance this year. I figured adding the headband will distract from my overall somber appearance (black suit w/ very very dark undershirt). :)

sehrmoon, if you don't mind me asking... where did you interview? My DAT score isn't great, but I have some interviews lined up. I don't want to have hope because I have an interview only to have them reject me for my DAT score. :(

Will any of you begin written questions for the interviewer or just asked questions on the spot? Just a thought.:)

Members don't see this ad :)

And for the ladies:

--Quackers

1. Padfolio
2. small purse - just enough for wallet (don't want to seem high maint.)
3. down with a thick headband
4. not polished (but I think a neutral polish would be ok) and be sure to cut them short! You don't want them to think you're going to be a long-nailed dentist :)

And for the ladies:

--Quackers

I brought a regular folder but I tucked it away in a soft attache case (which I brought instead of a purse). I heard to always wear your hair up to look more professional so I pulled it back with a fancy sort of clip. One girl wore her hair down but had to pull it up when we went to help out in the clinic anyway at VCU. I may have given myself a french manicure before the interview, I don't remember but if I had anything at all on, it was subtle.

I brought a regular folder but I tucked it away in a soft attache case (which I brought instead of a purse). I heard to always wear your hair up to look more professional so I pulled it back with a fancy sort of clip. One girl wore her hair down but had to pull it up when we went to help out in the clinic anyway at VCU. I may have given myself a french manicure before the interview, I don't remember but if I had anything at all on, it was subtle.

My hair never looks good up. Maybe it's my head, but yeah. I was thinking that if I were to have it up, I would just wear it half up and half down.

Also, no makeup? yes makeup?

I interviewed at four schools last year, and I wore just simple black pants and a black jacket. I brought a pad fold and a small purse with me. However, to two interviews I had to bring a backpack b/c I was flying across the country and back in the same day so I needed to bring it, but also had a small purse so I could just stash the backpack. I wore my hair down with half pulled back. (I did not want my hair in face to distract me during the interviews). Neutral make up, hair, jewelery like everyone else said. Just be really positive:) and you'll be fine.
P.S. don't feel dumb for asking, I asked around too before I went.

My hair never looks good up. Maybe it's my head, but yeah. I was thinking that if I were to have it up, I would just wear it half up and half down.

Also, no makeup? yes makeup?

Makeup, yes. I would def. wear makeup, just don't go overboard. You want to look as attractive as you can.

For the hair, face it... if you really feel uncomfortable wearing your hair up, it may negatively impact your self assurance during the interview process. In your case, judging by what you wrote, I would definitely wear my hair down or half up. I don't think it really makes that big of a difference.

Makeup, yes. I would def. wear makeup, just don't go overboard. You want to look as attractive as you can.

For the hair, face it... if you really feel uncomfortable wearing your hair up, it may negatively impact your self assurance during the interview process. In your case, judging by what you wrote, I would definitely wear my hair down or half up. I don't think it really makes that big of a difference.

You know, reading my previous comment, I made myself sound totally deformed. Haha.

But yeah, I think you are right. I wasn't sure about the make-up, like if they would want us to go natural. But good to know. Thanks for the comments. They have been super helpful.

People bring portfolios but really you don't need one as far as I've experienced. Just bring a pen

hmmm what about for guys? what kind of hair and clothing should I be wearing to the interview? I have short hair, so I don't know if I should put gel on it. If i don't, i look like I just rolled out of bed. If I do, i look like an asian gangster. it's a big dilemma. also, should I be wearing a black or blue suit? white or blue shirt?

hmmm what about for guys? what kind of hair and clothing should I be wearing to the interview? I have short hair, so I don't know if I should put gel on it. If i don't, i look like I just rolled out of bed. If I do, i look like an asian gangster. it's a big dilemma. also, should I be wearing a black or blue suit? white or blue shirt?

lol. asian gangster. don't look greasy, but DO look neat and tidy. you want to be conservative. the going opinion is that black suits are too formal. FIT is better than color tho. i have a black suit, but i've had it for years and it's too small. i can still wear it, but look cramped. yesterday i bought a sweet pinstripe suit that actually fits nice (two sizes bigger than the black suit :)) so that's what i'll be pimpin. i'll prolly go with a white shirt. LONG SLEEVES.

Gel in hair I think is better. Maybe you need to change the style of it. For suit light charcoal, dark charcoal, navy are the most common. As for shirt I really don't like solid colors. Stripes all the way :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lol. asian gangster. don't look greasy, but DO look neat and tidy. you want to be conservative. the going opinion is that black suits are too formal. FIT is better than color tho. i have a black suit, but i've had it for years and it's too small. i can still wear it, but look cramped. yesterday i bought a sweet pinstripe suit that actually fits nice (two sizes bigger than the black suit :)) so that's what i'll be pimpin. i'll prolly go with a white shirt. LONG SLEEVES.

i heard pin strips is a little too bold. but maybe that's just for the business field.

Will any of you begin written questions for the interviewer or just asked questions on the spot? Just a thought.:)

You should DEFINITELY have a list of written questions for the interviewer. It clearly illustrates your preparedness for the interview and the fact that you spent time researching the school.

Hey I was just wondering how everyone thought about a black suit with pinstripes for interview day. Any comments or suggestions?

i heard pin strips is a little too bold. but maybe that's just for the business field.

only bold if the pinstripes are really bold. the suit i bought has pinstripes, but they're subtle and from a few feet away it just looks charcoal.

Ya my suit is black with thin silvery-white pinstripes, but they're relatively subtle. I wore them to a few mock-interviews with my pre-dent committee and they all said I looked appropriate. I'll probably keep the shirt a solid though, so it's not too busy-looking.

Hey guys!
I have a quick question, for the padfolio, do you think it's ok to bring a small/pocket padfolio or should I just get the full size one?

You know, reading my previous comment, I made myself sound totally deformed. Haha.

But yeah, I think you are right. I wasn't sure about the make-up, like if they would want us to go natural. But good to know. Thanks for the comments. They have been super helpful.

Isn't it pretty natural for you to wear make up? I'd feel totally weird without it. Yeah, just don't go overboard.

So, dress suit or pant suit? I'm really thinking pant suit. Also, do you really think black is too formal?

No, black is not too formal, and mellow pinstripes wouldn't be bad either. Most interviewers are nice and they aren't going to nit-pick your outfit, just don't do anything glaringly wrong. One thing it seems that some schools/interviewers preferred for long hair to be tied back. One school requested it of all their interviewees, but I can't remember which one it was. But in general I doubt that would make or break your interview.

I brought a portfolio, but generally I didn't need it because they will give you a folder. Bring a pen, and maybe a little pad of paper to jot notes down on.
Good luck:thumbup:

I do not like my hair up either...so i'm just wearing it down..it's not super long though.

So about this padfolio thing..do i need it or not?..some ppl are saying just bring a pen. When do you write...during the interview and/or tour? Also, WHAT do you write exactly?

As for questions, if I do bring this padfolio and have questions prepared...it's okay to just read them off my list? And then should i jot down their responses, or just listen?! Thanks.

I do not like my hair up either...so i'm just wearing it down..it's not super long though.

So about this padfolio thing..do i need it or not?..some ppl are saying just bring a pen. When do you write...during the interview and/or tour? Also, WHAT do you write exactly?

As for questions, if I do bring this padfolio and have questions prepared...it's okay to just read them off my list? And then should i jot down their responses, or just listen?! Thanks.

i would say no to writing down what they say back to the questions. I felt cool having a padfolio and its nice to have something in your hands... I always feel akward when I am dressed up and have nothing to hold. ha....
My interview went really well and after they asked me if I had any questions and i opened up my padfolio and asked them a nice thought up question that had to do with the actual school and i wanted to know...... make sure you try hard to ask a good question that has something personal about it and not " what are the board rates/ scores/ yada yada..... that can all be found somewhere else

thanks!
For girls...do you recommend keeping the collar of a shirt in the suit...or over on the outside of the the suit?

thanks!
For girls...do you recommend keeping the collar of a shirt in the suit...or over on the outside of the the suit?

It really depends on the suit. Although, most I think, look better with the collar of the shirt inside.

so for girls, can we not wear a blazer or it is a must????

i was just thinking about a pencil skirt, heels, and a turtle neck without a blazer. ....is that ok?

i asked my dentist who im interning and he said its a must...so you could impress the ad com...

????????? so yes or no????

brought a padfolio, but they provided a folder for us, so it was superfluous

Honestly, I wouldn't say that it's a "must," and the majority of adcoms don't even pay attention to what you wear, as long as you're appropriately dressed and well put together. However, I will tel you that chances are every other girl there will be wearing a blazer, and you'll just feel like the odd one out. It's up to you, and they're not going to reject you because you didn't wear a blazer. (The rest of the outfit sounds great!)

so for girls, can we not wear a blazer or it is a must????

i was just thinking about a pencil skirt, heels, and a turtle neck without a blazer. ....is that ok?

i asked my dentist who im interning and he said its a must...so you could impress the ad com...

????????? so yes or no????