Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I am getting destroyed by a graduate class. Ever taken a grad class ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UserNameNine, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UserNameNine

UserNameNine Membership Revoked
    Removed

I am going to get a B in endocrinology, a grad class. It is killing me. I am also going to get a B in physics. Damn. I might be done with premed.

2. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Two B's and you're done with premed? I hope you're kidding. I doubt any med school would reject you just for getting a couple B's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow, that really stinks :( . Sorry to hear it. With two B's, you might as well drop out of college as well.

4. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    grad level classes are generally harder intellectually than med school classes, but regardless, no adcom in the country would accept any pre-med with any grade lower than an A (including A-'s). Didn't you know that?! :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

5. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You should have taken some 100-level psychology courses. Remember, med schools don't care about how challenging your schedule or major is. Dumb yourself down. They just want high numbers.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I don't know - or care - how to make the little clapping smiley, but listen to this man! Don't take classes to impress people, take them because you genuinely want to learn about the material - or because they are required for your major.

7. LOL, you guys are hilarious! :laugh:

I'm currently in immunology- a class with grad students and undergrads. It's pretty intense, but luckily the undergrad curve does not include grad students (and the grad curve includes undergrads- so i guess it makes it easier for them!).

8. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Graduate classes usually require more individual and critical thinking. So you not only have to have a firm grasp on the material, you also have to be able to apply it very well. At least, that's how it is with the classes I took back when I was going for a PhD! (All the test questions would give an experimental scenario with data and ask you to explain it, and then ask you to design more experiments to test your explanation, etc. And the tests lasted for like 5+ hours, during which I would sit there combing my brain for appropriate experimental procedures!)

The other thing is that in grad school you just have to make a B to pass, but your grade doesn't matter AT ALL other than that. So when I was in grad school (one semester) I got a B, B+, and A-, and thought I was doing great. Until I dropped out to apply to med school and realized that I have to report my grad GPA to AMCAS :p

eh, it doesn't matter. A few Bs aren't going to kill you. Is the class at least good/educational?

9. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I took grad classes on number theory, geometry, and algebra. I didn't think they were too hard. The hardest classes I have ever had were independent studies.

10. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm taking grad immuno (851), but as I just took the undergrad version last year, and have had both of the profs teaching it previously, I think I actually have a significant advantage over many of the grad students. The class is much more in-depth, and requires more critical thinking, essay responses than the "memorize the chemokines" I dealt with in the undergrad class.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think a B in endocrinology is very good. I think a B in physics is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.