1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

I am going to have to scramble because I didn't know I wanted to do Neuro until

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by AutomaTron, Mar 5, 2007.

1. AutomaTron

Medical Student
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jonath00

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    rtre

#2 Jonath00, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  4. AutomaTron

Medical Student
    How do you know that for a fact if you are only and MS 2?

5. neurodoc

neurodoc Neurologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1) You could call around during the post-match scramble;
    2) Wait till you're in your PGY-1 medicine program, and apply for neuro spots then. You'll need to get started applying early in your internship.

#2 makes a lot of sense. The ABPN requires all neuro candidates to complete a PGY-1 in IM, and if you want to do neuro you ought to have at least arranged for that. There's a separate match for the PGY-1 program. Most neuro candidates match for both PGY-1 and neuro in the 4th year of med school, but you've still got a very good chance applying as an intern. This may be better than trying to scramble for a spot this year...which might force you into chosing a program you might not really want...kind of like making an impulse purchace at the checkout stand of your local supermarket...

Also, since you just finished your 4th year neuro selective, you might want to talk with some of the faculty at your school. If you impressed them they might ask you to train with them.:)

Nick

6. neuro-cocks

neuro-cocks New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    just technicalities though...
    ABPN requires a PGY-1 year with 5-6 months internal medicine. some programs offer transition year spots instead of preliminary internal medicine spots. just technicalities though.

7. Nerdoscience

Nerdoscience Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I know someone who scrambled into Neuro at a very good program last year.

8. neurodoc

neurodoc Neurologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, the ABPN requires 6 months of IM, and for those who started neuro residenccies after 1991, they want 2 of the remaining 6 PGY1 months to be in IM, FP. or ER rotations... And the ABPN says that it wants the PGY1 PD to be able to certify that the internship meets these standards...5 months of IM doesn't cut it, and "transitional" programs certainly don't cut it.

This is all pretty clearly stated on the ABPN website.

Nick

9. AutomaTron

Medical Student
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I matched into a 4 year complete program! I got calls from PDs from Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Tulane and the school I signed with. I am happy to be staying close to home and my family members.

10. DO_2007

DO_2007 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congratulations; Would you be able to post the unfilled spots as the scramble started.

thanks

11. AutomaTron

Medical Student
    I can't really remember as it was very stressful. I was pretty much useless fumbling with papers and numbers and the people helping me call saved my butt along with applying to all the ones my neurology faculty member told me were good through eras right off the bat. I may have dialed 3 or 4 numbers total. The ones I know had spots are the ones I listed above although there were a lot of good programs this year up considerably from last year. I just got a call from IU at about 9:30 pm offering a spot. It's all like a haze now and I am just glad I can go and enjoy match day with my envelope and no worries after a very stressful but ultimately successful day. It could have been a lot worse if I had been offered and accepted either a non-combined prelim med yr or an upper level program and had to scramble for another spot as well. No telling how long it would have dragged on. As it happened, it was about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of feeling as if I didn't have a shot in hell and then all of the sudden I start getting calls from good programs. Now I can just go and open my envelope with the rest and enjoy the rest of fourth year. Thank you God. Amen. For those of you who might be still trying, I have found that repeating and believing the phrase "God is going to help" to be very therapeutic and in my mind powerful in causing good things to happen.

12. Jennifer626

Jennifer626 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Congrats Automatron! I can't wait to find out where I'm headed for neuro on Thursday!

Does anyone think that the match statistics table on the NRMP site may be wrong...because Automatron matched at IU in a 4 yr program starting with PGY-1 and the table states that Zero spots were left open in Neuro in the "Central" region...which includes IU?

Under the advanced section however, the table states that Two spots were left open in the central region.

13. AutomaTron

Medical Student
    I actually turned down IU as I had already signed with my state's other big state school (not in Indiana). Thanks and I hope you go exactly where you want to go.