I am going to have to scramble because I didn't know I wanted to do Neuro until

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AutomaTron

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

rtre

Last edited:
Dont waste money.. you dont really have a chance. Very few Neuro programs remain unfilled and they always fill up with applicant/s who either interviewed at the program or applied through ERAS and were not granted an interview. I know that for a fact.

How do you know that for a fact if you are only and MS 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) You could call around during the post-match scramble;
2) Wait till you're in your PGY-1 medicine program, and apply for neuro spots then. You'll need to get started applying early in your internship.

#2 makes a lot of sense. The ABPN requires all neuro candidates to complete a PGY-1 in IM, and if you want to do neuro you ought to have at least arranged for that. There's a separate match for the PGY-1 program. Most neuro candidates match for both PGY-1 and neuro in the 4th year of med school, but you've still got a very good chance applying as an intern. This may be better than trying to scramble for a spot this year...which might force you into chosing a program you might not really want...kind of like making an impulse purchace at the checkout stand of your local supermarket...

Also, since you just finished your 4th year neuro selective, you might want to talk with some of the faculty at your school. If you impressed them they might ask you to train with them.:)

Nick

just technicalities though...
ABPN requires a PGY-1 year with 5-6 months internal medicine. some programs offer transition year spots instead of preliminary internal medicine spots. just technicalities though.

I know someone who scrambled into Neuro at a very good program last year.

just technicalities though...
ABPN requires a PGY-1 year with 5-6 months internal medicine. some programs offer transition year spots instead of preliminary internal medicine spots. just technicalities though.

Actually, the ABPN requires 6 months of IM, and for those who started neuro residenccies after 1991, they want 2 of the remaining 6 PGY1 months to be in IM, FP. or ER rotations... And the ABPN says that it wants the PGY1 PD to be able to certify that the internship meets these standards...5 months of IM doesn't cut it, and "transitional" programs certainly don't cut it.

This is all pretty clearly stated on the ABPN website.

Nick

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I matched into a 4 year complete program! I got calls from PDs from Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Tulane and the school I signed with. I am happy to be staying close to home and my family members.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I matched into a 4 year complete program! I got calls from PDs from Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, and Tulane and the school I signed with. I am happy to be staying close to home and my family members.

Congratulations; Would you be able to post the unfilled spots as the scramble started.

thanks

Congratulations; Would you be able to post the unfilled spots as the scramble started.

thanks

I can't really remember as it was very stressful. I was pretty much useless fumbling with papers and numbers and the people helping me call saved my butt along with applying to all the ones my neurology faculty member told me were good through eras right off the bat. I may have dialed 3 or 4 numbers total. The ones I know had spots are the ones I listed above although there were a lot of good programs this year up considerably from last year. I just got a call from IU at about 9:30 pm offering a spot. It's all like a haze now and I am just glad I can go and enjoy match day with my envelope and no worries after a very stressful but ultimately successful day. It could have been a lot worse if I had been offered and accepted either a non-combined prelim med yr or an upper level program and had to scramble for another spot as well. No telling how long it would have dragged on. As it happened, it was about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of feeling as if I didn't have a shot in hell and then all of the sudden I start getting calls from good programs. Now I can just go and open my envelope with the rest and enjoy the rest of fourth year. Thank you God. Amen. For those of you who might be still trying, I have found that repeating and believing the phrase "God is going to help" to be very therapeutic and in my mind powerful in causing good things to happen.

I can't really remember as it was real stressful. I was pretty much useless fumbling with papers and numbers and the people helping me call saved my butt along with applying to all the ones my neurology faculty member told me were good through eras right off the bat. I may have dialed 3 or 4 numbers total. The ones I know had spots are the ones I listed above although there were a lot of good programs this year. I just got a call from IU at about 9:30 pm offering a spot. It's all like a haze now and I am just glad I can go and enjoy match day with my envelope and no worries after a very stressful but ultimately successful day. It could of been worse if I had been offered and accepted a non-combined prelim and upper level program and had to scramble for a prelim year as well. As it happened it was about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of feeling as if I didn't have a shot in hell and then all the sudden I start getting calls from good programs. Now I can just go and open my envelope with the rest and enjoy the rest of fourth year. Thank you God. Amen. For those of you who might be still trying I have found that repeating and believing the phrase "God is going to help" to be very thereapuetic and in my mind powerful in causing good things to happen.

Congrats Automatron! I can't wait to find out where I'm headed for neuro on Thursday!

Does anyone think that the match statistics table on the NRMP site may be wrong...because Automatron matched at IU in a 4 yr program starting with PGY-1 and the table states that Zero spots were left open in Neuro in the "Central" region...which includes IU?

Under the advanced section however, the table states that Two spots were left open in the central region.

Congrats Automatron! I can't wait to find out where I'm headed for neuro on Thursday!

Does anyone think that the match statistics table on the NRMP site may be wrong...because Automatron matched at IU in a 4 yr program starting with PGY-1 and the table states that Zero spots were left open in Neuro in the "Central" region...which includes IU?

Under the advanced section however, the table states that Two spots were left open in the central region.

I actually turned down IU as I had already signed with my state's other big state school (not in Indiana). Thanks and I hope you go exactly where you want to go.