I am gona mess up the PAT again!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amirmoh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
guys, i am retaking the dat only because i screwed the pat portion (18/14) of the exam. now the only part that is screwing me over in the pat this time around is the orthographic projections part (the top view, front view, and end view).....i cannot get this part for ****. i would so greatly appreciate it if those of you who understood this part can give me any tips or advice for this part. i have looked on all the forums and have not found any advice on this...furthermore, i am literally guessing on these questions because i cannot seem to make any kind of sense out of those pictures. i would be eternally thankful to all that can help me with this. thanks so much in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to your college library and search for books like"

Engineering Drawing, Technical sketching and visualization, modern engineering graphics, etc.

Believe it our not, the projections are used for engineering, architecture, designing airplane parts to be machined, etc. There are literally chapters written on how to construct the 3-views and how to interpret them.

Anyhow, these intro text books treat the 3-view projections more as a science that can be learned rather than just something your either good or bad at (as Kaplan treats it).

With all that said, I still suck at them.

Tarver330 said:
Go to your college library and search for books like"

Engineering Drawing, Technical sketching and visualization, modern engineering graphics, etc.

Believe it our not, the projections are used for engineering, architecture, designing airplane parts to be machined, etc. There are literally chapters written on how to construct the 3-views and how to interpret them.

Anyhow, these intro text books treat the 3-view projections more as a science that can be learned rather than just something your either good or bad at (as Kaplan treats it).

With all that said, I still suck at them.
:thumbup:

also, if you can afford it, take kaplan

get the barrons book it has great tips and trick to tackle that section down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Believe in yourself. I know you can do it! It may just take some practice. Do you want to look back in your life thinking that the only reason you didn't get into dental school is because.... (1) you didn't have the confidence to do orthographic projection, (2) you didn't put in 20 hours doing orthographic projections?

Is that how you want to look back on your life? NO! So don't get down on yourself. Pick yourself up, do something good for yourself, perhaps drink a nice sweet Frappucino, or go buy some Jamba Juice, or listen to some of your favorite music, and then just warm up your engines with the PAT. Don't expect yourself to sit for an hour and kick ass, just do a little bit of it. If it gets too frustrating. Stand up and walk around, then walk back. If it still gets frustrating, then just sit there and meditate.

You went through hard sciences before. I'm sure this is a cinch for you!!! No problem!!! Good luck, and I know you will do well. I know it.

jk5177 said:
Believe in yourself. I know you can do it! It may just take some practice. Do you want to look back in your life thinking that the only reason you didn't get into dental school is because.... (1) you didn't have the confidence to do orthographic projection, (2) you didn't put in 20 hours doing orthographic projections?

Is that how you want to look back on your life? NO! So don't get down on yourself. Pick yourself up, do something good for yourself, perhaps drink a nice sweet Frappucino, or go buy some Jamba Juice, or listen to some of your favorite music, and then just warm up your engines with the PAT. Don't expect yourself to sit for an hour and kick ass, just do a little bit of it. If it gets too frustrating. Stand up and walk around, then walk back. If it still gets frustrating, then just sit there and meditate.

You went through hard sciences before. I'm sure this is a cinch for you!!! No problem!!! Good luck, and I know you will do well. I know it.

I gotta say, Amen to that.

Just play some Tetris, puzzle games on the computer and stuff :) . Try to be more observative and have better focus

Man I wish I could just meet up with you and show you how to do this section. I always had a pretty easy time with it, atleast on the kaplan tests...apperantly not on the ral one ;). Anyways. Just pay attention to the "actions" aka the dashed and hard lines. If from one view you see 3 dashes lines, then you better see 3 hard lines from the other view...etc. Arghhh...this is so hard to explain. I would seriously sit down with someone who knows how to do this that is local to you. It is really not that difficult once you got it down. I always had more trouble with the cube counting, cause I always lose count, LOL. We all have our own problems I suppose :).

Learn what the 3 views mean. Use the kaplan CD to look at the 3D models and translate this to 2D.

Practice going from 3D--> 2D ortho (this is easier than the reverse initally).

aceking said:
Just play some Tetris, puzzle games on the computer and stuff :) . Try to be more observative and have better focus

THAT IS SO AWESOME>

JUST PLAY TETRIS....

wouldnt it be funny if the people that played that game got perfect scores on the PAT!!!

I can tell you this, if you make a game about paperfolding I am going to waste alot of quarters !!!

ALOT.