I am having panic attacks/am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonloblaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been studying since the end of January but only moderately because I had 15 credits of classes. It was exceedingly difficult to keep up with the Kaplan course I was taking and by the time the middle of the third unit rolled around I just stopped because of other commitments (classes, volunteering, etc...). My diagnostic back in January was horrifying. I took the first practice one that Kaplan suggests like two weeks in which I think is ridiculous since we barely reviewed anything and got a 20. Stellar. Now I am out of school and am signed up for the June 20th test. Have been working at a hospital and studying like crazy for this thing but I am having panic attacks already. My highest on verbal so far was a 9. Still finishing up content review on all the other materials so I have not done any full lengths yet. What to do???? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reschedule?

I would be anxious if I hadn't taken a FL a less than a month away myself. Or quickly take 1-2AAMC FL and see how you fare.

ok. First of all, i would postpone the test. If you're getting stressed and you don't feel prepared don't take the exam! Postpone it for a later date and maybe take the summer to properly study for it? It seems like you haven't had enough time to study for it and you obviously don't feel prepared.
I have panic attacks too, so I know what you're feeling but the best thing to do right now is calm down.

Did you take any other practice tests since then?

No I haven't since then but I have been doing the section tests and subject tests from my Kaplan course and been doing okay/good on those for the most part. I have also been doing EK 1001 Chemistry problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the only thing with Kaplan is that they often are much harder than the real thing, at least for the full lengths and even some section tests. I would say push the test back, I tested in Mid July, verified amcas by august and ended up getting into 4 allopathic schools. Don't rush yourself, I pushed back a month and went up 3-4 points on my full lengths. Take the time you need and do your best.

Also, I would say focus on aamc fl bc they are closer to the real thing IMO. And take a couple a week.

So I have been studying since the end of January but only moderately because I had 15 credits of classes. It was exceedingly difficult to keep up with the Kaplan course I was taking and by the time the middle of the third unit rolled around I just stopped because of other commitments (classes, volunteering, etc...). My diagnostic back in January was horrifying. I took the first practice one that Kaplan suggests like two weeks in which I think is ridiculous since we barely reviewed anything and got a 20. Stellar. Now I am out of school and am signed up for the June 20th test. Have been working at a hospital and studying like crazy for this thing but I am having panic attacks already. My highest on verbal so far was a 9. Still finishing up content review on all the other materials so I have not done any full lengths yet. What to do???? Please help!

It seems that you are not fully prepared, while reading your post i got the impression that things have been hectic. You do not want to take this test like this and 20 days isnt going to be enough.

I would say to reschedule the exam. Take it in a couple of months if you're not applying this cycle. Good Luck!

Things have been hectic but my mom (the successful physician) just calmed me down. I'm gonna wait until the last day to reschedule which I believe is two weeks before the actual test and see how it is going. The plan is to do questions on questions on questions on questions until then.

Like I said, I would highly suggest doing a FL aamc tomorrow and gauge where you are.

You might be able to get extra time if the panic attacks happen during practice tests.

The way some MCAT questions are worded to sound more advanced than they are, I'm sure doesn't help.

I just took a bio section test on Kaplan after calming down and got a 10. I'm gonna keep working, I do appreciate the responses everyone! I don't think rescheduling right at this moment is what I need though, I just need to calm down and work.

I'm taking the June 20th test date, and I still haven't taken a FL. Relax... I'm taking my first the 28th, and one every 2-3 days after that (reviewing in between). It's basically what the last month of SN2ed's schedule calls for. You can do it man.

Currently working 40hrs/wk at a hospital. Just graduated, thesis was due this semester, 18 credits. If I can do it, TRUST ME, you can too. How bad do you really want it?

Stop making excuses for yourself, and you'll stop these panic attacks *which is what I did.

Take 4 FL's using the aforementioned schedule and if you're still not where you want to be, delay it.

Clock is ticking.